2006 Jeep GC WK 3.7l engine noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 Jeep GC WK 3.7l engine noise

XT (ExtremeTerrain.com) has Barricade Off-Road Armor!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
itz_fred

2006 Jeep GC WK 3.7l engine noise

Hi everyone,

I have a stranged noise coming from my 3.7l. It really sound like a slapping/talling noise comming from the bottom of the engine. It is worst on cold start and a bit less with the engine is warm, but the noise never goes away. Also, the sound follows the RPM, i can hear it from 800 rpm to about 2500 rpm. After that, the engine is to lound to hear it.

Does anyone have any clue? I figured piston slap at first but the noise doesn't go away when warm. What else could make a possible sound? Oil as just been changed and was perfectly good. The engine runs really smooth..

Thanks!

itz_fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
JRLT
2010 WK 

Make sure somebody didnt put a ziptie on your driveshaft.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Nejeep

You might pull off the drive belt and see if the noise is still there, just to rule out the accessories or belt. Might possibly be an exhaust leak, they usually change noticeably as the exhaust warms up and the load changes. Maybe something weird like a cracked flex plate??

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
itz_fred

Thaks for the replies!
A ziptie on my driveshaft?
The noise really sound like metal on metal. I doubt that it's a cracked flex plate because it really constant with the engine, not like a vibration that occur sometimes. I will try to remove the belt and update the tread!
Unread 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
itz_fred

Update! I remove the belt but the noise is still there, but just little bit less loud.

Here is a video (my camera cancel all the noise so it's easy to hear it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kye...ature=youtu.be
Unread 04-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
Nejeep

Based on the video, it sounds like the noise is louder near the back of the engine. If so, a loose or damaged transmission flex plate could still be a possibility as it is bolted directly to the crankshaft. Some older Jeep engines would have this problem, but not so common on the WKs.
Otherwise it could be something internal like a damaged piston or a bearing. An engine teardown would be the best way to find out.

How many miles on your engine, any recent work on the engine or transmission?

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
itz_fred

Thanks for the reply.. the jeep has 94000 miles and the only work done recently was a new oil pan (done by a stupid garage where i bought the truck). I remember now that the "mechanic" told me he had to move the engine to take the oil pan off... maybe he destroy the flex plate.. is it as easy as on the XJ to check for loose bolts and cracks on this WK?
thanks
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #8
itz_fred

oh and by the way... the noise is louder when i'm driving the vehicule (like on drive) than when I'm on park. Seem like when the engine is not under load the noise is less loud.

Last edited by itz_fred; 04-08-2015 at 05:37 AM..
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itz_fred View Post
Update! I remove the belt but the noise is still there, but just little bit less loud.

Here is a video (my camera cancel all the noise so it's easy to hear it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kyeD...ature=youtu.be
I've heard that noise a couple times before .
Sounds to me like your bottom end is done. Google "rod knock"
That's squeaking noise you hear on top of the knocking is generally from a Spun crank bearing.
You might need to start looking at replacement engines.
Good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
Nejeep

I tend to agree it sounds more like a bad rod bearing to me and they do sound worse under load. If you keep driving it, I expect you will soon find out but you may be left stranded on side of the road.

Why was the pan replaced, because of an oil leak? If the engine was run without oil, that would be a likely outcome.

Unread 04-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
itz_fred

I live in canada so with the snow and salt 6 month per year, it was all rusted. I talked to the previous owner and he said oil change where always made acording the service manual ( and hes not the one who sold it to me) so its a reliable source. If i try the pull all the sparks plug, the sound should be far less loud if it a rod right?
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
itz_fred

So i tried to unplug all 6 sparks plugs one at a time. i did not removed the boot only unpluged the connector is that ok? i did not noticed any change in the knocking sound.
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I wouldn't think you would notice a change really as long as the engine is still spinning. The piston and rod without the spark plug doesn't stop moving. The only way I know of checking is to remove the oil pan and physically grab your rod knuckles and see if they move. You could try a vehicle stethoscope and poke around the block and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
joe989
2008 WK 

if you just bought this jeep go get your money back immediately, you have 30 days to do it unless you sign a paper saying "purchased as is"
the engine is very likely destroyed and has been run without oil in it.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #15
itz_fred

i've had the jeep for 3 months now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.