2006 Jeep Commander Transmission Clunk and Leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 Jeep Commander Transmission Clunk and Leaks

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
csijeep

2006 Jeep Commander Transmission Clunk and Leaks

2006 Jeep Commander 65th Anniversary Edition with the 3.7l V6 engine 4wd with QuadraTrac I.

We just got the Commander two weeks ago and didn't even drive it the first 10 days we owned it as we went out of town and left it home. The first day we actually drove it after we got home, I found an oil leak, tranny leak, the famous Commander whistle/hum noise from windshield or moon roof, and also a transmission clunk. Well, I found out today after calling the dealer, the leaks and windshield issues have been repaired, but the transmission clunk is more serious. Apparently, the input shaft has too much end play and it needs to be replaced. The dealer told me they had to remove the transmission and they were going to do the work at no cost to me. I do have an extended warranty on it, plus it's still on the dealer 30 day 100% dealer parts and labor warranty.

Now to my question, has anyone else had the oil/transmission leaks or the transmission clunk? Can I expect to have any future problems related to this tranmission problem?

Thanks

csijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
The leak is the only common fault with this box.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
sabre364
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
The leak is the only common fault with this box.
Regards,
Merlin
Isn't it simply the o ring or something that needs to be replaced? I've seen the TSB for the 05 models, but others on here have said that was the same issue when their 06+ were showing a tiny leak near the drain plug.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
MacDuBz

I have also encountered all of these problem, transmission clunk and oil leak just started 2 days ago. The dealership already fixed the tran leak about a year ago. I
Taking my 06 commander in tomorrow for the oil leak and trans clunk. Only other problems I've had are clogged drains in the sunroof that allowed water to get into the interior. Oh and windshield whistle was fixed at the time of the trans leak. No other problems so far.
MacDuBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
JeepWranglerNation

Can't Say Our Issue Is The Same

Post Delete
JeepWranglerNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
amberhobo

clunk and Trans leak

I purchased my Commander new in 07 with an extended warranty; currently at 99,000 miles. The trans has leaked only once after taking it for the trans fan coming on and being checked by a dealer. Someone later had to reseal the pan because it wasn't put back correctly. The clunk appeared recently and was caused by the front differential - thankfully the warranty company covered this. Also had a shudder appear about the same time. This turned out to be the rear differential - also replaced by the warranty company. I'd like to know if anyone has had problems with other parts of the transmission, like the transfer case or need for rebuilt transmission after 100,000 miles?
amberhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
vif2343

my 2006 commander has a new battery and alternator and after about 3 hours of driving it died and the battery was completely dead...any ideas?
vif2343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.