2006 Jeep Commander Ltd 5.7L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 Jeep Commander Ltd 5.7L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
cliffk450
2006 XK Commander 

2006 Jeep Commander Ltd 5.7L

Please forgive me for what are likely naive and unnecessary questions...

I have a 2006 Commander with 5.7L, I have just passed 106K, and with it paid off and the body in excellent condition I would really like to take it to 200k and beyond.

My question's are as follows...
- I am going to take it to a local Auto Service (I know the owner and TRUST HIM), besides the normal regular oil change, I am going to have him do the following:
- Tune-Up, new plugs, pcv, fuel filter, anything else?
- Throttle and Induction System Service
- Replace Front Differential Mount Bushings ( get a clunk when I let off gas)
- Replace Master Switch on steering columns (Fog Lamps dont work I have checked everything else it could be)
- Replace Climate Control Module (Controls don't work almost all lights are out)
- Rotate & Balance Tires (New from him in Spring 2012)

I am going to ask him to check and advise me on the following:
- Front Alignment, Shocks, Tie Bars, and Struts
- Wheel Bearings (Replaced Pass. Rear when I did brakes last year)
- Brakes - Complete Brake job new rotors etc in 2013.
- Exhaust System - Manifold to Tailpipe
- ? Service Transfer Case (done in 2012)
- Tranny & Filter
- Check all lights Interior & Exterior

I am not auto mechanic handy, and would prefer to have someone to take the vehicle back to if something isn't working, I know he will stand by his work and he isn't going to jab me like a dealership, in fact he told me I could bring my own parts with me and he would just charge for Labor. Before I do this I will go to the dealership and get the Recall taken care of first.

Is there anything in my ignorance that I have neglected to include in my list, I really like my Commander and the idea of NO car payments, while I would love to get a new Cherokee Trailhawk, now is no the time and if I can get to 200k and beyond with my present Commander I can likely pay cash for a 2017 or 18 new car.

I appreciate any help or suggestions any of you veterans can make?

Cliff

cliffk450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
spennerus

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Not a veteran by any means, but my .02 cents

EGR valve is common failure, and it's cheap
Front and Rear difs need fluid change every 30k
I believe the fuel filter is in tank with the pump and can't be serviced.

Edit: Coolant change depending on when it was last done.
spennerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Differential fluids!!! Front, center, rear. Use factory fluid, and don't forget the additive.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.