2006 Grand Cherokee stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 Grand Cherokee stalling

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
RichardZ

2006 Grand Cherokee stalling

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L engine. It occasionally stalls (or at least almost) as I accerlerate while making a left hand turn and hit a bump at the same time. It will also occasionally stall when I hit a bump large enough to suddenly lift the front end. It only happens rarely, usually as I leave my driveway (left turn with a bump) but it has happened while turning left at an intersection, scary when there's oncoming traffic. Since the engine comes back up to speed almost immediately I'm not sure if it's a full stall. The Jeep service dept. claims they have never heard of it happening and have no idea as to what to do to fix it. Any suggestions ?

RichardZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
JeepCares

Would this describe your issue?

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a premature and momentary activation of the Electronic
Stability Program (ESP) system. The premature activation of the ESP system may or may
not be accompanied with the illumination of the ESP indicator lamp located in the
instrument cluster. The customer may experience the momentary ESP system activation
on a “clover leaf” type turn, at speeds of approximately 25 to 40 MPH (40 to 64 KPH). This
could also be described as a lack of throttle response or hesitation. Driving over speed
bumps at a slight angle can also cause the same ESP event accompanied by lack of
throttle response. The customer may also complain of low idle speed.

There was a Service Bulletin (18-014-09 REV. A) for the above complaint that involves reprogramming the PCM.
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
RichardZ

It could be causing the response I get turning left at an intersection. I have also had an occasional loss in accerleration moving through a cloverleaf. But as a leave my driveway I'm only going 10-15mph, at most. I'll mention it during my next service call. Is there an easy check to see if this software mod was already made ?
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
JeepCares

The "fix" is reprogramming the PCM.

Look for an “Authorized Modification Label” near the VECI label.
The VECI label is located in the engine compartment on the vehicle hood.

For those of those who may be reading this and don't know, the Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) label contains the following:
Engine family and displacement
Evaporative family
Certification application
Spark plug and gap
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
RichardZ

No AML label under the hood so I need to discuss with dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.