2006 grand cherokee airbag light is on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 grand cherokee airbag light is on

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
HVACguy1

2006 grand cherokee airbag light is on

My left tail light was out and traced it to a blown fuse due to my trailer wiring being all jacked up. I didnt know what fuse it was so I pulled em all out until I found a blown one. I replaced the fuse and the next time I drove my airbag light came on. I finally found the fuse diagram and looked at the fuse for the airbag and it was ok. Anybody have this problem? Is the only fuse for the airbag system that red 10amp? Some ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am driving 2300 miles to california in 3 days and an airbag sure would be nice if I crash I would like to check some things on my own before I send it to the shop and have somebody that knows what there doing look at it. Thanks

HVACguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
JMorash
2005 WK 

Could be the wieght sensor needs calibration. Mine had the same problem after some electrical fart.

Had a big guy sit in the front seat 250lb and the warning light went away. I also did wiggle and snugg all the elctronics underneath the seat.

Try that.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
HVACguy1

ok I looked for anything obvious under the seats and everything seems in good order. If it will help, I noticed that when i put a little pressure on the passenger seat the pass. airbag light will go on and then off when I sit on it so im assuming thats ok on that part of the system. Anything else? When the light is on in the cluster does that mean the airbags will not deploy?
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
JMorash
2005 WK 

i believe so. your talking about the little red person with the airbag. As well as the Airbag on/off light that is located on the dash.

Basically the seat thinks there is a small child or bag of groceries in the front seat, therefore disabling the airbag. I think you may know this already.

Dealers have like a weight system to recalibrate it. But that costs money. lol
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
HVACguy1

Right my problem is the little red guy with an airbag light. The other light on the information center goes on and off normally with not enough weight and whatnot.
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Acidcold
2005 WK 

I have had the same light on the dash for a very long time now, haven't gone to the stealer due to tight wallet.
sure would like to fix that myself aswell, maybe ill have this guy i know that weights 450lbs sit on it
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
I have had the same light on the dash for a very long time now, haven't gone to the stealer due to tight wallet.
sure would like to fix that myself aswell, maybe ill have this guy i know that weights 450lbs sit on it
Maybe a big guy in a red suit and bag full of toys

Merry X-mas

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
DarrylFlynn
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACguy1 View Post
Right my problem is the little red guy with an airbag light. The other light on the information center goes on and off normally with not enough weight and whatnot.
Did you by any chance either start the car or turn the ignition on whilst you had the AIRBAG FUSE out ?

If you did, then i am pretty certain that you will need to have the airbag light reset at the dealers.

I did this by accident a while ago on another make of car and had exactly the same problem.

I HAD to get it reset. Regards Darryl
DarrylFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Pdunnie

How did you end up fixing the problem? Im having the exact problem as far as blown tail light fuse and once i replaced that my air bag light is on. Please help!
Pdunnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
czar97

Same problem over here. Exact same situation...trailer lights, blown fuse...the whole deal. How'd this ever get fixed? Any updates?

Thanks,
-matt
32 x 11.50 Cooper Discoverer STT
2" RE Budget Boost, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
czar97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
WKFusion
2006 WK 

I know it sounds dumb but check on the left side of your passenger seat. I looked under neath mine and everything looked normal! turned out there was an empty water bottle shoved to the left of the seat causing the sensor to freak out!
hope this help!
ALSO TRY RESETTING THE COMPUTER (TAKE POSITIVE OFF FOR 20 MINUTES)
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
JaredG05WK
2005 WK 

i'm having the same problem as well. started after the battery died due to leaving the interior lights on all night. jumped my truck and since then the light comes on intermittently. has anyone tried the "disconnect the battery for an hour" trick?
JaredG05WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
kapi1

Solved

I also had blown a 10amp fuse for my trailer lights.
I used one of the two spare 10amp fuses to fix the trailer lights. A few days later I noticed the airbag warning light was on.
I checked it out on the web and decided my only solution was to go to the dealer.

Just by chance I bought and replaced the spare 10Amp fuse I used before I went to the dealer. To my surprise it turned off the airbag warning light!!!!

Although they are marked as Spares they obviously are not!!!!
kapi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
kapatterson83

How I fixed the airbag warning light problem

A few days after purchasing my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, I was driving home from work. I had placed a bunch of stuff in the front passenger seat (approximately 20-30 lb.). About a mile or two down the road, the airbag warning light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road, and read the manual. All it said was to take the vehicle to the Stealer (Dealer) and have them run diagnostics. When I got home, I started to do some digging around the internet; I concluded that the problem had to do with the weight sensor in the seat. The sensor attempts to determine if a child is sitting in the front seat based upon weight; if the sensor thinks a child is sitting there, the airbags are disabled! After reading this information online, I went out to my Jeep and started it with NOTHING in the front seat - and the airbag warning light was no longer on! Since that day, I've found that the airbag warning light only displays if there are objects of a certain weight in the seat. So, before you get too fancy in your troubleshooting, try to determine if your situation is similar to mine!
kapatterson83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.