2006 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6 Misfire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6 Misfire

Alloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Bigen03
2006 WK 

2006 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6 Misfire

Hello Everyone

I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6 with 88K miles on it. The wife was driving it yesterday and the MIL came on solid while at the bank. She started to get a vibration from a misfire on the motor. I went up to the bank and realized I needed to get it home if I had any chance of fixing it myself.

On the way home the MIL started flashing and beeping at me. My Jeep went into Limp Home Mode and engine would only go up to 2000RPM. Called a buddy with a code reader and it showed #5 injector was malfunctioning. We shut off #5 with the scanner and it had no change. We shut off #3 and the motor almost died. Today I got the injector, tore it all apart and replaced #5.

Well, still has the same issues. Still has a rough idle with misfire as well as the MIL still illuminated and in limp home mode.

I have no idea where to go from here and hopefully the dealership will be the last resort. Any help would be great and I am no mechanic lol

Bigen03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Nejeep

First make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks or loose wires after your recent work.

How old are the plugs? If more than 30k miles, they should be changed. The coil on the plug(s) could also be bad causing the misfire. It should throw a code and show which cylinder is the problem or if its a random misfire.
You may want to run a compression test to see if there is a mechanical problem with any of the cylinders.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
tom19511
2006 WK 

X2 on plugs
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
JRLT
2010 WK 

I had a misfire after I changed my plugs. Seems I didn't get the plug sealed properly from the top and said plug had moisture and rust on it. Changed the plug with a fresh one and haven't had a problem since.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
RCS1300
2005 WK 

The problem may not be with cylinder #5 only. The vehicle may be misfiring on all or multiple cylinders but #5 triggered the DTC. If it was a P0205 code it could be a very simple thing such as a shorted wire to one or more injectors.

Unless you or your friend have skills and experience testing electrical circuits you may want to pay a dealer $125 to diagnose the problem which may be far less expensive than randomly throwing parts at the vehicle - like $70 fuel injectors.

If you want to go further, obtain access to a Service Manual for your vehicle. The manual will give you step by step instructions to diagnose the trouble code. If it is in fact a P0205 code it will require testing electrical circuits to the injector(s) and from the PCM (vehicles computer).

https://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Bigen03
2006 WK 

Well, I changed the plugs and coils as they were still the originals. I figured if that was the problem or not, it needed to be done. After it did not fix my problems, I broke down and took it to the dealership to have them diagnose the problem.

Come to find out it was the PCM. Had it replaced, and the jeep is running like brand new.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it!
Bigen03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Glad to hear its fixed.

Its always odd to me to hear that a PCM failed. Its not really a part if would think of as 'wearing out.' Particularly so @ only 88k miles.

What was the bill if you dont mind me asking?
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7ens View Post
Glad to hear its fixed.

Its always odd to me to hear that a PCM failed. Its not really a part if would think of as 'wearing out.' Particularly so @ only 88k miles.

What was the bill if you dont mind me asking?
The PCM has resistors whose purpose it is to restrict the flow of electricity to circuits. Resistors heat up when used. These could be part of the explanation for early PCM failure.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.