2006 3L CRD blowby gas issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2006 3L CRD blowby gas issue

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
RickjeepCRD
2006 XK Commander 

2006 3L CRD blowby gas issue

Hi

I'm new so I hope I've got this post where it should be.

I have a 2006 3L CRD, I just had the new turbo intake and a Provent 200 catch can installed hoping to eliminate any possible future problems. Anyway, after hearing alot of air leak noises and discovering alot of exhaust gases leaking from the Provent, I headed back to the mechanic and discovered that the problem is being caused by excessive crank case blowby gases. Basically the Provent is venting pressure through the release valve. Mechanics diagnosis, "worn engine, too bad". The engine has done 180K and has been regularly serviced, so I'm finding this a little too hard to chew. If anyone has had similar issued I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers
Rick

RickjeepCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
jediknight
2008 WK 

I would say change macanic ...
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Make sure the hose from the crankcase goes in the bottom part of the Provent. The top one goes to the turbo inlet.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Throw the proevent into the bush and vent to the atmosphere.I love the smell of crankcase venting in the morning,smells like Prius pis**ng off power.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
suzieque
2008 WK 

Another crd owner had a pressure valve that kept popping so he also went to atmospheric venting
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
RickjeepCRD
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the reply's,

Not a big fan of venting to the atmosphere, and I don't think the local authorities here in Aus would be either. Tony, you say plumb from crank to bottom of Provent, mine has been plumbed opposite to this, but the instructions from the supplier were top inlet in, and bottom out, so this seems to be correct. Maybe they are opposite here??? My main concern with this issue is the condition of my engine, I can't believe the thing can be worn out at 180k kilometers, that's only about 110k miles. I'm keen to know if anybody else has experienced this excessive blowby with this engine. A local turbo repairer has suggested a good engine oil flush and a decarbonising fuel additive to deglaze the cylinder bore's. Might give that a go, and yeah Jediknight I think I'll take care of this job myself.
Cheers and thanks again.
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
RickjeepCRD
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the reply's,

Not a big fan of venting to the atmosphere, and I don't think the local authorities here in Aus would be either. Tony, you say plumb from crank to bottom of Provent, mine has been plumbed opposite to this, but the instructions from the supplier were top inlet in, and bottom out, so this seems to be correct. Maybe they are opposite here??? My main concern with this issue is the condition of my engine, I can't believe the thing can be worn out at 180k kilometers, that's only about 110k miles. I'm keen to know if anybody else has experienced this excessive blowby with this engine. A local turbo repairer has suggested a good engine oil flush and a decarbonising fuel additive to deglaze the cylinder bore's. Might give that a go, and yeah Jediknight I think I'll take care of this job myself.
Cheers and thanks again.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.