2005 WK steering Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 WK steering Wobble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
ecosurf
2005 WK 

2005 WK steering Wobble

First, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. If it has, a link to that thread would be appreciated.

I have a bone stock (except for an Airaid filter and a Flowmaster muffler) 2005 Grand Cherokee. It's AWD (not true 4WD), 3.7 liter V6, auto trans, 245/65R17 tires (stock size 235/65R17?). The Jeep has developed a wobble when hitting small bumps in the pavement from about 40mph to 70mph. I bought this used and have no idea if the struts/shocks have ever been replaced, however I have had the inner/outer tie rod ends replaced on both sides and the front end aligned, neither of which has not corrected the problem. I was told it might be the tires, but they are relatively new with less than 5000 miles on them.

If anyone has an idea about how to correct this or any experience with this problem at all, please advise. And as I mentioned, if address before, a link to that thread would be appreciated.

1jeep.jpg

ecosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Do you have play in the steering wheel during normal driving?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
jdbwrx

Just because the tires are new(er) doesn't mean they can't be out of balance and/or out of round. Get a good road force balance on them and check to see if a rim might be bent while they are at it.
jdbwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Wheel bearings should be checked. In my WJ they went out at 80,000 miles. In my WK I am waiting for them to go out soon. How many miles do you have on the vehicle?
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
gemiller
2008 WK 

Wheel bearings and upper ball joints. I had both of these fail and cause similar symptoms.
Unread 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
spdfrkaby
2005 WK 

Also, take a look at the rack and pinion. I installed a lift kit, changing out the CV axles, struts/shocks, balljoints, etc. Afterwards I would get a slight wobble if something threw it off. I already knew my steering rack was about done, so I'm not sure if it was that and/or a combination of needing to redo the alignment, but after both were done, the wobble went away.
Unread 06-30-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
ecosurf
2005 WK 

Thanks for the replies. I will have the tires checked/balanced for sure and will do the same for the ball joints. Currently 94,680 miles on the Jeep and I just had all four rotors replaced last week, so hopefully the wheel bearings were checked. there's no play in the steering wheel, I am guessing the problem might be in the rack. Will get that checked as well.

Thanks again for the great info!
ecosurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.