2005 WK remote key problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 WK remote key problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
stingray66
2004 WJ 

2005 WK remote key problems

My son has a 2005 grand chreokee with a key problem one of them works good the other one does not so he never used it well snice he just got married he gave his bride the other key and the remote will not work I did install a new battery and found a bad solder jounit but it still would not work so ok I order two new ones on e-bay the new remotes have the same numbers on the back as the old one so I thought it would work I did use the two keys that came with the jeep the first one you put in and turn on the switch for about 3 secounds then remove the first key and do the same with the 2nd key then were the odometer part it says starting program so I take out the 2nd key and puy in the new key and I then get key invalid I then tried this with the other new kew and got the same thing so am I doing some thing worng or are my new keys bad and why does it say key invalid
also I am getting a 50/50 people telling me that the remote can be program with out a scanner
any help you can gave will be a big help I spent all day sunday missing withy this and just gave up
Norm
PS the old key that did not work will start the car no problem it is the remote part that is not working

stingray66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

Go to the above link.

"2. Self-Programming additional Sentry Keys (requires TWO original keys)

"A" through "G" below is a quick summary of the steps that are required for programming. Following this list, "1" through "6" takes you through the same process in greater detail.

Quick Steps:

A. Purchase a blank key and have it cut
B. Insert original key #1 into ignition and turn to On
C. Wait 5 seconds and turn key to off
D. Immediately insert original key # 2 into ignition and turn to on
E. Wait 10 seconds for SKIS indicator in dash starts to flash
F. Turn ignition off, insert new blank key and turn ignition back on
G. Once SKIS light stops flashing and turns off, your new key is programmed "

Go to the link posted for more details.

But are you trying to program the sentry key or the remote?

Sentry key you can do yourself, the remote needs a scanner/dealer

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Moved to WK forum
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
five
2005 WK 

Can it be one key that has the remote built in and one 'valet key'? Or does it need to be two remote keys?
five is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
uptick

2005 Jeep Keys badly manufactured

The welds on the circuit board that hold the battery retaining clip break all the time. Just another piece of crap part curtosey of Jeep.
uptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
plyvolare
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptick View Post
The welds on the circuit board that hold the battery retaining clip break all the time. Just another piece of crap part curtosey of Jeep.
I have the same problem. When I purchased my 2005 CPO Grand Cherokee in August 2007, the dealer gave me three keys. Two have broken weld problems. The third works for now. I was told to expect to pay north of $200 for a new key and the reprogramming. I was told that the replacement part was not re-engineered. It is a replacement of the same poorly designed cheap part (good for Chrysler, bad for the customer).

When design and workmanship is poor, consumers switch to better products.
Over the last twenty three years, I have owned eight BMW's, a Porsche and a Ford Explorer with remote keys. The only problems that I experienced were dead batteries. I recommend that Chrysler engineers acquire the remote control keys of other manufacturers and study the design.

When we buy the same poorly designed replacement part, we are rewarding failure. In time somebody else will own my Grand Cherokee.
plyvolare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
ccregg
2005 WK 

Well if it is a bad solder issue then you could just rig it up like i ended up doing. I used a small strip of adhesive velcro to wedge between the back of the key and the battery in order to keep it in place. I havent had any problems with mine since i did that.
ccregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Or re-solder
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
CraigWK
2005 WK 

FYI the dealership told me that ebay keys = bad idea, because if the electronics in them have ever been programmed to another WK, you cannot reprogram to match yours...
I don't know the validity here, but that's what I was told.
Yes, I have the same problem...I am living with 1, very moody, key at this time.
Unread 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Budasac
2005 WK 

I bough a key off E-bay for $9 and it works fine. It was a sentry key though, no buttons. Bought it as a spare in case i lose a key . Where the keys you bought new?
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
mjcother
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The reason you cannot use a used chip key is they talk encrypted. From the factory, they all speak the same default encryption, and when used, have been programmed to only talk with a certain encryption.. You have to take them back to the factory default to reprogram, but that takes either talking in the unknown encryption, or brute force attempts. Brute force cracking will lower life of key or kill it, and takes too long to be cost-efficient... (days of trying )

I think this guy below has come up with a way to throw a couple attempts at it, then crack the response it gives back... then he narrows down the possibilities to a manageable number... and sets them to default. He has to be banking some serious cash on this business plan, I am jealous!

I had him de-program a couple keys, and I am very happy!

Matt Burkhart @ carkeysfast

I think he sells refurb with blank shell for $70, search for:
05-07 JEEP REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY KEY FOB UNCUT BLANK I5

Here is the blurb on his website:

http://www.carkeysfast.com/index.html
"I BOUGHT A CHRYSLER KEY ON EBAY THAT CAN NOT BE PROGRAMMED, CAN YOU HELP?
Absolutely, even though these keys have been around for almost a decade, there are still sellers who are unaware that they cannot be reprogrammed. Just Call or send a note from the Contact page, for a small fee, we will gladly make your key usable again."
-mike
mjcother is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.