2005 WK Leaking exhaust manifold 4.7L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 WK Leaking exhaust manifold 4.7L

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
05jeepGCLmike
2005 XJ Cherokee 

2005 WK Leaking exhaust manifold 4.7L

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifold leak 4.7L - Replace Drivers side exhaust manifold and gasket to fix the exhaust leak that developed at 76K Miles on my 4.7L. My suggestion is to spend the ~$200 and buy the parts from the Dealer, parts list should include the following:
1) Left side exhaust manifold
2) Exhaust gasket
3) NEW bolts for the manifold (8)
4) NEW bolts and nuts for the engine pipe to manifold mounting (2 bolts & 2 nuts)

First you will need PB Blaster and soak the crap outta the engine pipe to manifold nuts and bolts and the 2 nuts at each end that secure the heat shield, DONíT be shy with the PB Blaster!!!!

Remove the tire and drill out the plastic rivets and remove the inner plastic wheel well
Remove the battery and the battery tray
Remove three mounting nuts that secure the relay and control module right behind the battery just so you can move that harness to the side for access.

From under the car remove the two bolts securing the engine pipe to the manifold

Remove the nuts holding the heat shield (mine had to broken off (both aft mounting bolts for the heat shield) thatís why the exhaust was leaking)

From the top remove the exhaust manifold bolts

I was lucky the two bolts that broke sheared at the head of the bolt so when I removed the manifold I soaked them with PB Blaster and they came out using a pair of pliers (very easy)

Heat shield and manifold once un-bolted can be removed from the front.

When installing new manifold with NEW bolts have someone slightly pry back the engine pipe so you can get all the bolts started hand tight ensuring you donít mess up the threads in the head.

Reverse the removal steps and you should be done in about 3 Ė 4 hrs

To replace the plastic rivets I went to Harbor Freight and they have an entire kit with the rivet installation tool and plastic rivets for ~$15 and it works just fine to secure the inner wheel well that was removed for access.

05jeepGCLmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05jeepGCLmike View Post
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee exhaust manifold leak 4.7L - Replace Drivers side exhaust manifold and gasket to fix the exhaust leak that developed at 76K Miles on my 4.7L. My suggestion is to spend the ~$200 and buy the parts from the Dealer, parts list should include the following:
1) Left side exhaust manifold
2) Exhaust gasket
3) NEW bolts for the manifold (8)
4) NEW bolts and nuts for the engine pipe to manifold mounting (2 bolts & 2 nuts)

First you will need PB Blaster and soak the crap outta the engine pipe to manifold nuts and bolts and the 2 nuts at each end that secure the heat shield, DON’T be shy with the PB Blaster!!!!

Remove the tire and drill out the plastic rivets and remove the inner plastic wheel well
Remove the battery and the battery tray
Remove three mounting nuts that secure the relay and control module right behind the battery just so you can move that harness to the side for access.

From under the car remove the two bolts securing the engine pipe to the manifold

Remove the nuts holding the heat shield (mine had to broken off (both aft mounting bolts for the heat shield) that’s why the exhaust was leaking)

From the top remove the exhaust manifold bolts

I was lucky the two bolts that broke sheared at the head of the bolt so when I removed the manifold I soaked them with PB Blaster and they came out using a pair of pliers (very easy)

Heat shield and manifold once un-bolted can be removed from the front.

When installing new manifold with NEW bolts have someone slightly pry back the engine pipe so you can get all the bolts started hand tight ensuring you don’t mess up the threads in the head.

Reverse the removal steps and you should be done in about 3 – 4 hrs

To replace the plastic rivets I went to Harbor Freight and they have an entire kit with the rivet installation tool and plastic rivets for ~$15 and it works just fine to secure the inner wheel well that was removed for access.
I'll be doing this come winter.
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
05jeepGCLmike
2005 XJ Cherokee 

Key step was when installing the new manifold to slightly pry the engine pipe away from the manifold because if you don't the engine pipe pushes against the manifold and you will have a very difficult time installing all the bolts. When you get into it you will notice the same thing I did. Good luck. It looks like a harder job than it is..
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05jeepGCLmike View Post
Key step was when installing the new manifold to slightly pry the engine pipe away from the manifold because if you don't the engine pipe pushes against the manifold and you will have a very difficult time installing all the bolts. When you get into it you will notice the same thing I did. Good luck. It looks like a harder job than it is..
I'll remember that. Local exhaust shop wants $450 to do both sides.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
05jeepGCLmike
2005 XJ Cherokee 

That is just the labor? The$450?
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

No. $450 to do it all. That's new gaskets, studs, and labor.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.