2005 WK bumber repair/replacement question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 WK bumber repair/replacement question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
lsuber
2005 WK 

2005 WK bumber repair/replacement question

Hi guys, been reading a bit on here, but this is my first posting.

I'm looking at a 2005 Grand Cherokee that has some relatively light cosmetic damage to the front bumper. If I purchase the car, I'd like to have the bumper either repaired, or replaced, and I wondered what my options for this are. Would it best to order a replacement bumper for it? If so, where are some good sources to get one? I'd be sticking with an OEM bumper.

Hopefully this isn't a forum no-no, but photos of the Jeep can be seen here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#3

(looks like you'll have to cut/paste the web address; doesn't seem to work as a link)

You can see the black mark on the front bumper's left side. I've seen the car briefly in person, and it appears that the fiberglass is perforated in that area and the steel piece behind it has pushed through.

Thoughts on buying that particular Jeep? Source for a replacement bumper for it? Thanks for any help you guys can pass along.

lsuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

I would get a price from a local trusted bodyshop. I would think it could be fixed, although often it may not be worth it in terms of the price differential between fixing it and buying a new bumper
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, I saw that same Jeep online. The bumper is plastic, not fiberglass btw. Ya, they hit something or something hit them and pushed the plastic bumper cover into the metal reinforcement behind it. I'd just call up a body shop and explain the problem. Have them give you a rough estimate of a repair vs replace. Most likely repair and paint will be cheaper than replace and paint.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
lsuber
2005 WK 

I'll call a local body shop I've used in the past that is very good and reputable. It's interesting that the bumper doesn't appear to be scraped or deformed at all anywhere but that one small point. The Jeep otherwise appears to be alright. What do you think of it being sold at that price? The CarFax indicates pretty good upkeep from what I can tell, although I haven't looked at a lot of CarFax reports to know what they typically show.
Unread 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
lsuber
2005 WK 

Body shop thinks repair could run $300 to $400, and total replacement about $700. That's more than I would have thought.

2006 XK Commander, 4.7L V8, 4x4 QTII
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Look on craigslist, ive been able to find oem body parts painted from wholesalers for less than 300, and the front bumper is a breeze to replace.
Unread 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

What better reason than to do an 08 style bumper & grill with an OEM HID conversion?
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuber View Post
What do you think of it being sold at that price? The CarFax indicates pretty good upkeep from what I can tell, although I haven't looked at a lot of CarFax reports to know what they typically show.
I thought overall it looked like a decent deal. I'd want to get it for at least $10K though if not lower. Plan on $500 to fix the bumper. Your quote from your body shop seems about right. Quality paint work is very expensive these days. Good luck!
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
lsuber
2005 WK 

I may go look at it more closely this weekend. I believe that dealership group has a Jeep lot among their facilities, so maybe I could negotiate them putting a new front bumper on it as part of the purchase. They could get it done at their cost I suppose.

Unread 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
LordEnki
2006 WK 

700 for a bumper cover? Jesus. Just drive it like that. Lol
There's no reason the dealer shouldn't fix it before selling it to you.
If not buy elsewhere.
Good luck.
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
omarl956
2005 WK 

There cheaper on eBay I was gonna buy one for my truck also or on rockauto.com
omarl956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
lsuber
2005 WK 

Bought the Jeep this morning, for a little under what Rob suggested as a good price point. Got them to get the new bumper at their dealer cost as well.

Unread 02-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuber
Bought the Jeep this morning, for a little under what Rob suggested as a good price point. Got them to get the new bumper at their dealer cost as well.
Congrats!
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
lsuber
2005 WK 

Thought I'd come back and post an update. Had the front bumper cover painted and mounted a few weeks ago, and it looks great. The body shop I use touched up the rest of the body while they were at it and had the paint mixed, and gave me a touch-up bottle as well. Car looks like new now and cost me very little to have the paint work done. It's a Laredo, but has chrome door trim on the exterior, which looks nice. I got a full set of Overland wood trim panels for the interior for $50 from a local shop with a wrecked '06. That price included the center console piece, shifter area trim, shifter knob, and both door switch panels. If anybody needs a set of silver trim pieces, I have a set for sale. Going back to see what their price is for the REC nav unit next week.

Loving my new-to-me Jeep!

Unread 03-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #15
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuber
Thought I'd come back and post an update. Had the front bumper cover painted and mounted a few weeks ago, and it looks great. The body shop I use touched up the rest of the body while they were at it and had the paint mixed, and gave me a touch-up bottle as well. Car looks like new now and cost me very little to have the paint work done. It's a Laredo, but has chrome door trim on the exterior, which looks nice. I got a full set of Overland wood trim panels for the interior for $50 from a local shop with a wrecked '06. That price included the center console piece, shifter area trim, shifter knob, and both door switch panels. If anybody needs a set of silver trim pieces, I have a set for sale. Going back to see what their price is for the REC nav unit next week.

Loving my new-to-me Jeep!
Nice find. The knob alone is worth more than $50.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.