2005 WK 3.7 Won't Start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 WK 3.7 Won't Start?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
bmrrwolfe
2006 KJ Liberty 

2005 WK 3.7 Won't Start?

Locally I found a 2005 WK 3.7 with a 132k for cheap because it won't start. The owner said it just stopped running, and now will crank over fine, but not start, and he doesn't want to put any money into it. I am not sure how much of this is true, but I thought about taking a gamble with it. I know it could be a worst case scenario of needing a motor (probably $3,000) but at the price it could still be worth getting.

Any ideas, or common issues with these that would keep it from starting?

I have not seen it or heard it yet, but would like to get some knowledge before going to see it.

Thanks!!

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
drewabril
2006 TJ Wrangler 

can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn they key to "on"? does it have spark?
drewabril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

Try a new battery.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
bmrrwolfe
2006 KJ Liberty 

I am going to try to take a look at it after work today.
I will check to hear for the fuel pump, any easy way to test for spark while I am there? I will also be being by scan tool to see if its throwing any codes, and from others posts, I will be sure to check for the red blinking light on the cluster if the key somehow lost its programming.

Just curious if it cranks strong, why would you say the battery?

Thanks for the info so far.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Pull the plug and watch it spark, or stick a screwdriver in the coilpack
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe View Post
Just curious if it cranks strong, why would you say the battery?
Just covering all the bases but these motors are touchy when it comes to batteries. Would that be great if all you needed was a new battery?
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.