2005 WK 3.7 Errors 1672, 0404, and P0710 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
gelaro
2005 WK 

2005 WK 3.7 Errors 1672, 0404, and P0710

Short leadin: A while back I had some transmission codes, hard shifting, not shifting, etc. The dealer said replace TCM for $900. I replaced the wheel bearing due to ABS error and codes went away.

Last week, CEL light came on and trans started shifting hard, all four light (PRND) would be boxed at the same time. Wouldn't shift out of first. When I went from P to N for a second, then it would run fine. Same pattern several times.

I took it to trans shop who said it gave errors codes 1672, 0404, and P0710. The 0404 says it is related to the EGR valve. Chrysler says there is no EGR valve on this car. The P0710 is supposed to be trans temp related, I believe.

I know the trans needs to be serviced, but I think the TCM is internal and I don't want to service it and then have to go back and replace it, essentially servicing it twice.

So, any ideas on next steps. I was going to replace the EGR valve and see if that fixes it. But apparently I can't do that (which makes me wonder why it gives a code for something that doesn't exist).

BTW, the CEL is now off and everything is running fine. The codes were not reset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Nejeep

I think the confusion may be caused by two different code numbers (P0404 and U0404). The P0404 is an EGR code which would not apply to the 3.7 engine as it does not have one. A U0404 is a general transmission code meaning some other transmissions codes are stored.

The TCM is built into the ECM on the WK Jeeps, so it cannot be serviced or replaced separately. There is a separate shift module in the console that can be serviced (cleaned) or replaced if needed. There are several threads here on JF if you need more info on that.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
gelaro
2005 WK 

Ah, that makes sense. The trans shop just said 0404 and I assumed it was P. It looks like some have had success dissembling the shifter and cleaning the circuit board wiht contact cleaner so I am going to try that.

Any idea on the P0710 (I know that one is a P code)? It says trans temp related. I assume that is inside the trans as well. Perhaps servicing the trans would help. It's got 100K on it and I don't think it has ever been serviced.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Nejeep

The P0710 is a transmission temp sensor code which has been reported to pop up with various others, but I would recommend you clean the shifter module first then see if the code returns after that. I cleaned mine several years ago and and no problems since. If that code returns take a look at the electrical connector on the transmission. They sometimes leak and besides loosing ATF, the fluid gets inside the connector and causes strange issues.
A transmission fluid service would also be a good idea if the history is unknown.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
gelaro
2005 WK 

I cleaned the shifter module. It had quite a bit of graphite streaks on it. It seems to run fine (but it was running fine again before I cleaned it). I am taking it to get it serviced this week so hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.