2005 Transmission cooler line leak - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Transmission cooler line leak

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #61
indianajeep

2005 WK 

I bought the tranny lines from the dealer for $43.00, and they installed them for $200.00. It was a good deal, really. It is one of the few parts that I say, let the dealer do it, and believe me, it is cheaper in the long run, unless you have had experience in dealing with these lines.

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #62
S197GT
2005 WK 

dealer quoted me $200 as well. gonna see what the independent shop quotes. the owner actually suggested just replacing the rubber lines but i am going with the full line replacement. now that i've seen this thread i kinda wish i hadn't but oh well, they already have the part waiting.
S197GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #63
shortysmash
2007 WK 

I havent done this fix yet but im heading that way. My jeep does not have a transmission dip stick so ive worried about it because i figure once i undo those lines from the cooler there is no turning back. So my biggest question is since the car is not running, once i disconnect the lines how much fluid am I going to lose. and not just from the disconnected line but through the whole thing as im cutting the crimp fittings and what not. Also does anyone have a pic of them disconnecting the lines without the tool and if you did use a tool where do you get it for the best price.
shortysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #64
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysmash View Post
I havent done this fix yet but im heading that way. My jeep does not have a transmission dip stick so ive worried about it because i figure once i undo those lines from the cooler there is no turning back. So my biggest question is since the car is not running, once i disconnect the lines how much fluid am I going to lose. and not just from the disconnected line but through the whole thing as im cutting the crimp fittings and what not.
If you let it set for 2-3 hours before you open it up, you won't loose hardly any fluid, it slowly drains back into the trany pan.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #65
S197GT
2005 WK 

Just had the entire line replaced.

Dealer quoted $200 part and labor.

Independent shop charged me $130 for the part and labor. Tech told me he added about a quart of ATF after it was all said and done.
S197GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #66
HofferWK
2005 WK 

I got the hoses cut, and cant remember which one goes where? does it matter?
HofferWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #67
shortysmash
2007 WK 

i know some people have used a screw driver to disconnect the lines instead of the tool. any one have any pics of this.
shortysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #68
joechrom

Do tj,s have this same set up? Because I'm feeling like I have this same leak
joechrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #69
ScotWithOne_t

Well, my 2005 WK 4.7L just developed this problem. Internet to the rescue!

I'm going to try the cut & clamp method everyone else has done.

Not sure how fast it's leaking. I just noticed maybe a tablespoon on ATF on the floor tonight. We'll see if it drips out more overnight. I told my wife to look under the Jeep during the day when she's out drivign around for work to see if it leaks a bunch. ATF level was still good though, so I think I can put off the project until the weekend at least.
ScotWithOne_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #70
ScotWithOne_t

Just got done swapping out one of the two lines. So far, no leaks (after a test drive around the block).

I surgically removed the front fitting with my Dremel tool, but just used a tubing cutter for the rear part. As you can see, not too much ATF spilled out (there was probably half as much on the floor as well.)

Here is the front of the hose installed:

and the rear:

Hopefully it doesn't leak, because I really don't feel like doing the other one in a 28F garage.
ScotWithOne_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
WmassWK
2006 WK 

I had mine replaced two weeks ago. 3.5 hrs labor plus parts ran me $280ish. I would have tackled it on my own if I had access to a lift.
WmassWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #72
oldfamilyguy

I'm thinking of doing this with 3/8" steel tubing and compression unions if they fit. Anyone know if the trans lines are actually 3/8" tubing exactly? Oh and its a 3.7 with nag1 trans.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #73
bigphil76
2005 WK 

I just noticed mine leaking when I was changing the plugs today. Just one of the lines is leaking.. If you look down from the hood its the right one that has the problem on mine. so im gonna tackle this next weekend.. My ZJ does the same. but both lines leak.. I had the line replaced about 4 years ago with the radiator but it started leaking again.. Ive pretty much got a routine down on when to check and add on the ZJ.. but the WK seems alot easier to replace the rubber lines then the ZJ. so instead of keep adding fluid like my ZJ im going to replace these.
bigphil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #74
bigphil76
2005 WK 

Scot how is yours doing?
bigphil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #75
Drew2675
2006 WK 

I did both of mine this week along with a water pump swap out. Much easier to get to the lines without all of that mess in there. If you use a Dremel, I recommend the reinforced disc's. Cut both lines on one disc.
Drew2675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.