2005 Transmission cooler line leak - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Transmission cooler line leak

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #46
Dreezy
1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I did this last friday. Cut the lines behind the crimp and used worm clamps on rubber transmission hoses I picked up at advance auto parts. 3/8" line and 4 clamps total. It was less than $7 in parts. Remove the grill, pop the lines out of the cooler, dropped my front skid and went to work. It took less than 2 hours.

Dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #47
JMorash
2005 WK 

its hard to find transmission tubing. Local autoparts stores just directed me into using fuel line. its just rubber.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #48
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
its hard to find transmission tubing. Local autoparts stores just directed me into using fuel line. its just rubber.
Correction; its just pressure-resistant rubber. I used a different type of hose clamp because I read in other posts worm drive clamps could "bite" in to the rubber creating more problems. Attached are my pictures taken with good ole cell phone. Pictures 1 and 2 are after the original tubing is cut off the brackets using a dremel to preserve as much line as possibly. Being a newbie to this, I didn't want to cut off more than necessary so I took my time. Picture 3 is what it looks like after this paranoid Jeep owner double clamped each side. Picture 4 is what happens if your dremel disk cuts too deep, forcing you to cut off the entire bracket mount. Picture 5 is backup in case another whacked out raccoon popped up again. The dog I mentioned in my earlier post is a smaller breed.
lines.jpg   lines-2-.jpg   lines-4-.jpg   lines-8-.jpg   lines-3-.jpg  

wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
JMorash
2005 WK 

I have those same clamps
HEMI Club Member #28

Unread 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #50
GeeEssFore

Great pics. How long it take you?
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #51
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssFore View Post
Great pics. How long it take you?
About 3 hours total because I cut the crimps off the hose vs cutting right above the crimp.
Unread 02-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #52
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics and write up. And that's a beautiful shepherd! Looks a lot like mine exept mines mostly black with the darker brown.

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #53
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Titan View Post
Thanks for the pics and write up. And that's a beautiful shepherd! Looks a lot like mine exept mines mostly black with the darker brown.
You just described her brother
Unread 02-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #54
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here's one of my boy!
dsc_0610.jpg  

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #55
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkorbust View Post
Took some pictures of the new part. These might help illustrate what the veterans are talking about when they say cut at the metal part and replace the rubber hose. The part was only $40 bucks, but swapping out just the hose part would save time in routing the hard metal lines, which are not leaking.
were are you getting them for 40$? the dealer here wants 86$
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #56
JMorash
2005 WK 

I just did mine. cut both those ends of with a fien tool, then slid 3/8 fuel line over it and double house clamped both sides. Hasnt leaked since, it was however a ***** to get in there and tighten the clamps down

Regardless of what they tell you i had many chats with some techs down at the dealership and they told me that its not a high pressure line, no more pressure than your radiator could produce.
HEMI Club Member #28

Unread 04-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #57
ahale511
2005 WK 

Great write ups above. But I have a quick question. One of the fittings on one line is leaking, albeit slowly. How serious of a problem is this? Is the fitting likely to completely fail? Or will it just slowly leak? If it is just a slow leak, I can check fluid level once a week and add as needed.
ahale511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
were are you getting them for 40$? the dealer here wants 86$
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/ is where I ordered mine from. I still have it sitting in the box because I wasn't sure which route I was going to take. I need to put that entire part in the for sale section for anyone who has a problem with the metal section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
Regardless of what they tell you i had many chats with some techs down at the dealership and they told me that its not a high pressure line, no more pressure than your radiator could produce.
That's good to know. I still give a long look in the mirror when I take off from a stop to make sure I'm not bleeding out every know and then, but so far I've not seen it drip anything, even after highly spirited driving. Edit: Now that I think about it, I can also confirm its not a high pressure line. In my pictures above where I cut in a small hole by accident, I didn't know the hole was there until I started the engine. ATF came out, but no faster than a normal pump pushing fluid past a pinhole. It wasn't like "arterial spray" that was gushing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahale511 View Post
But I have a quick question. One of the fittings on one line is leaking, albeit slowly. How serious of a problem is this? Is the fitting likely to completely fail? Or will it just slowly leak? If it is just a slow leak, I can check fluid level once a week and add as needed.
As tight as that thing was crimped down, I don't see it completely popping off. Having said that, if its something that is a simple fix, I wouldn't put it off. I always imagine worse case scenarios that catch you with your pants down.

Last edited by wkorbust; 04-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: edit?
Unread 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkorbust View Post
I have that same tool and didn't think to use it because I thought it would be to big to fit in there. Dremel got 3 out of 4 crimps off with 5 sacrificial disks. Then it got dark. Then I heard something in the woods murder and eat something else in the woods so I closed up shop right quick. I live in a highly rural area and hell if I was going to be dessert.
Just an sound update. I heard that scream/screech again today but was in a better position to hear the early beginning and tail end of it and while dinner may still have been on the menu that night, it wasn't a crawler, but a flyer:

I heard newborn eastern screeching barn owls back in februrary and judging by the sounds I heard today, they should be about ready to take flight. Before they went in to the screech sound, I heard the distinct "whoo Whoo" wind-up.
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
Pitchlynn

I just did this repair and it came out great! I went with the budget repair and cut off the crips. Found the transmission line at napa and got the fuel injector hose clamps. It helps if you cut the lines, disconnect the lines from the radiator. Then you can pull the front pieces out to remove the crimps easier. I used cheaper Dremel cut off wheels and broke a few but there cheap and they cut good. Only a little fluid came out and I had to add a quart because it had been leaking for a while. I bet it is harder to change the whole line, not to mention more expensive!
Pitchlynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.