2005 Transmission cooler line leak - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Transmission cooler line leak

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #31
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
I used a fein tool to cut the crimp ends off. The tool is also known as a multi ocilating tool.
I have that same tool and didn't think to use it because I thought it would be to big to fit in there. Dremel got 3 out of 4 crimps off with 5 sacrificial disks. Then it got dark. Then I heard something in the woods murder and eat something else in the woods so I closed up shop right quick. I live in a highly rural area and hell if I was going to be dessert.

wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
tott
2008 WK 

Anyone have photos of the shortcut repair they did to these lines?
tott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
wkorbust

I will eventually, but after what I heard, I wasn't staying out there one minute longer than I had to.
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
Nejeep

Quote:
I used a fein tool to cut the crimp ends off. The tool is also known as a multi ocilating tool.
Good idea for cutting the crimp end. So what did the tube look like under the crimp end? Smooth or something for a hose to grip onto?

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
Good idea for cutting the crimp end. So what did the tube look like under the crimp end? Smooth or something for a hose to grip onto?
It looks same same as the end of the OEM piece I originally purchased. There is a flanged tip connected to about an inch worth of metal tubing under the crimp. Basically the metal piece extends the entire way in to the metal crimp, capped with a flange to prevent back flow.

I don't know which is the feed and which is the return, but as I was digging in with the rotary tool, I could see how the ATF fluid had seeped out of the tubing and around the crimp. I also saw how many other places under there that use the exact same crimp device and thought
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #36
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkorbust View Post
I have that same tool and didn't think to use it because I thought it would be to big to fit in there. Dremel got 3 out of 4 crimps off with 5 sacrificial disks. Then it got dark. Then I heard something in the woods murder and eat something else in the woods so I closed up shop right quick. I live in a highly rural area and hell if I was going to be dessert.
HAHA That's freaking hilarious!! I would have just went in and got my S&W 629 classic and layed next to me and went back to work.

2005 WK Limited 4.7, QTII, Midnight blue pearlcoat. (Hers)
08Titan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #37
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Titan View Post
HAHA That's freaking hilarious!! I would have just went in and got my S&W 629 classic and layed next to me and went back to work.
True, but I watched my dog get jumped by a rabid racoon two weeks ago and that thing literally came out of no where. Just turned the corner, saw the dog and lept for it. That was in broad daylight.

Half-way under my jeep, with no light except what runs on batteries, I didn't want whatever ate the other thing crawling under the jeep with me. My pocket knife is a 3" ToolLogic Firesteel Knife, but after hearing that howl as it was being devoured, somehow the knife didn't feel up to muster.
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #38
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

Quote:
True, but I watched my dog get jumped by a rabid racoon two weeks ago and that thing literally came out of no where. Just turned the corner, saw the dog and lept for it. That was in broad daylight.

Half-way under my jeep, with no light except what runs on batteries, I didn't want whatever ate the other thing crawling under the jeep with me. My pocket knife is a 3" ToolLogic Firesteel Knife, but after hearing that howl as it was being devoured, somehow the knife didn't feel up to muster.
Live to fight another day.......
2007 WK Limited (white), QDII, Hemi, OME HD lift, JBA UCA's, Treadwright Guard Dogs 32.25's, Fuel wheels, K&N CAI, BT catch can, 4xGuard rails & belly skid, Saguaro 4x front shackle mounts, tow hitch shackle mount [B][COLOR="Blue"](SOLD)[/COLOR][/B]
lagonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #39
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah you have a good point their! Those critters can move awful fast. Is your dog ok? Hope so.

Unread 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #40
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Titan View Post
Yeah you have a good point their! Those critters can move awful fast. Is your dog ok? Hope so.
Raccoon got knocked out and served up to animal control, who promptly beheaded it and sent it off for testing (how we know it was positive). So while my dog just walked away with a skin breach on the face, we have to sit through a quarantine period until we know the vaccines did their job. Small dog, so the skin breach could have come from when the raccoon tackled the dog to the ground (road rash) or a bite mark. Time will tell.
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #41
08Titan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully it goes good. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost my dog.

Unread 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #42
wkorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
Anybody tried splitting the metal hose crimp and just pulling the old hose off the metal tube so you don't have to cut the tube? It would give you more tube to work with and I think there is a bump in the tube under the crimp to resist the hose from sliding off. Not sure how to split the crimp on the jeep, maybe a dremmel or small angle grinder?
You can cut there like I did, but because it is a hydraulic clamp, you will have to cut once on each side then pry them apart. A single cut won't do it. This of course will take you about 3 hours with a dremel and several heavy duty cutting discs. Not because they are hard metal, but because of the cramped working area. Nevermind if that cutting disk hits anything important, then you are really screwed.

Alternatively, you can take something like the Fein tool previously mentioned and just cut off right before the metal link where the line is flush. That will take about 2 minutes per line. I did the former method 3 times and the second method the fourth time. Why? My dremel disc cut a small pin hole in to the metal collar and ATF leaked everywhere when I started the engine. Only option was to go back in and sever the entire collar and slide the hose further up. As far as I can tell, both methods hold just as tight and even a good tug did not have the hose slip off, provided your clamps are fully tightened.

No more leaks and once I take time to upload the pictures, you'll see that it is really not that hard to do, given the right tools.
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
JMorash
2005 WK 

Well I own a fien tool and that is my plan to just flush cut all the crimp ends and then jus slide tuner piping over the metal tubes and double clamp them. What exactly did you have to pry apart? It seems like a simple cut.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #44
wkorbust

Quote:
Well I own a fien tool and that is my plan to just flush cut all the crimp ends and then jus slide tuner piping over the metal tubes and double clamp them. What exactly did you have to pry apart? It seems like a simple cut.
Top line, cutting off the metal collar exposes what the black outline is. If you went this route, you can fit two hose clamps in tandem on there.

If you cut the red line, you can probably fit maybe 3 on there if you are extra paranoid. Cutting the red line will also save you a good 2 hours and awkward positions with a dremel disc.
hose.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #45
DJ2003JGC
2003 WJ 

Yeah, I have a WJ model, and one of mine is leaking, but the funny thing is that there already is a hose on there and it is held on with factory style spring clamps. Mine is about 8 inches long. Personally, On your examples above, I would just cut at the red line and clamp it and be done with it. What about using a small tube cutter(about an 1.25 square inches tops), and no-one mentions using transmission hose in place of fuel line hose.
DJ2003JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.