2005 Jeep HELP PLZ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Jeep HELP PLZ!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 10-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
kcrickyt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2005 Jeep HELP PLZ!

Ok, I've been a fan of Jeep for as long as I can remember, BUT that is changing very quickly. I tried to talk my girlfriend out of buying a brand new Jeep Cherokee, but she just had to have it, 11,000 miles later and I'm ready to drive off a cliff. It started off with a very slight repetative surge under acceleration. Kind of like it was starving for gas or something of that nature. Took it in and was told the PCM had to be updated. WRONG, still doing it and getting worse. Was then told the PCM needed to be REPLACED...WRONG!!! And now not only does it do the surging, but the check engine light comes off and on. Usually stays on for a day or so then shuts off. The whole time we've been dealing with this the AC vent damper breaks and we're told they have to take the dash out to fix it. WHAT A PIECE!!!! It's been in the shop now a total of 7 times in 2 months and that's not counting the times we've had to take it back so new parts could be installed. Has anyone had the surging problem??? If so and you were able to get it fixed could you let me know what the heck the problem was??? Thanks in advance.

kcrickyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #2
jeep_on

I’d call DCX and demand they buy it back from you under your states ‘leman’ law. If its been in the show seven times for the same thing, they’ve replaced the parts, and its still doing it, I think it differently qualifies. After you get the money back from it, go buy a 2004 WJ, you’ll like it 100x more, and it looks better too.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, I think you mite be able to get your money back since it seems to be an on going problem.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

The surging has been discussed a LOT over at JeepsUnlimited. Some have it, some don't, with some it's really bad, with others it's really mild, and it seems to be almost exclusive to the hemi, although I think a few 4.7L owners have it as well. Mine has it, but it's so mild and intermittent that it's not worth taking in. I really don't notice it in daily driving. I bought mine new...it started within the first 1000 miles and was fairly noticable and repeatable, but with nearly 12,000 miles on it now, it seems to have improved a lot...barely noticable, intermittent, and even when it's doing it, it's so mild that it's not bothersome at all. I don't know of a TSB on it, but in mine I wouldn't have it looked at unless there were a TSB, again because it's so mild and intermittent.

I will say this...for a couple of months I had an aftermarket exhaust system on it...I ended up going back to the stock system because I wasn't happy with the volume (too loud) and quality of the sound (sounded lousy when MDS was active). While I had the aftermarket exhaust on my Jeep, I didn't notice the surging at all, but when I went back to stock, I started noticing it again. It could have just been coincidence, but I'm not positive.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
akaswan

You can forget the buy back option. I also purchased a new 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, but my problem is that it sounds like it has a bowling ball rolling around in the gas tank. This is on stop and goes action only. I've also been there with the repeated in shop repairs, nothing resolved bit. Chrysler has advised me that under the lemon law, I need to get lawyer to pursue that route. Buy the way, the gas tank was just replaced so it’s not that.
akaswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaswan
You can forget the buy back option. I also purchased a new 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, but my problem is that it sounds like it has a bowling ball rolling around in the gas tank. This is on stop and goes action only. I've also been there with the repeated in shop repairs, nothing resolved bit. Chrysler has advised me that under the lemon law, I need to get lawyer to pursue that route. Buy the way, the gas tank was just replaced so it’s not that.
I've noticed the sound as well. It's simply the gas in the tank slapping the front wall of the tank when you hit the brakes. I bet you only notice it when the tank is somewhere between about a half a tank and a little over 3/4 full, and when you hit the brakes, right? The tank in the WK is long and narrow, and it sits longitudinally behind the driver. When you hit the brakes, there's enough length to the tank for the gas to gain some momentum (and possibly create a small wave), and it makes a sound when it hits the front wall of the tank. There's nothing wrong with the gas tank at all...it's simply the gas making noise. It doesn't happen at a full tank because there's not enough vertical space for the gas to create a swell/wave, and at less than half a tank, there's not enough gas moving around to make enough noise for you to hear.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Chrysler says that is the characteristic of the vehicle and nothing can be done about it, got that off the DCX website. Happens like you guys are saying, around 1/2 to 3/4 tank of fuel. Almost sounds like the fuel tank needs baffolds inside to slow down the fuel sloshing.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
akaswan

Could you send me a link where you got this info about the gas tank.
Gregory.Thompson@disa.mil
Unread 10-12-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Vehicle Issue At low speeds when the brakes are applied there is a clunking / thumping type noise coming from the rear center of the vehicle.
Year 2005
Model WK - Grand Cherokee
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Fuel Tank
Symptom Clunk , Knock , Thump
Region Center , Rear
Driver Input / Vehicle Operation Brake Pedal Applied , Stop and Go (Heavy Traffic) , Stop and Go (Heavy Traffic)
Vehicle Speed Lower Speed / Below 25 MPH ( 40 KPH )
Condition Verification Yes - Intermittent , Yes - Continuously
Case Verification The noise is faint and usually the radio and blower motor have to be off in order to hear the noise. Also the noise may vary in intensity depending oh how much fuel is in the tank. The noise seems to be most noticeable when the fuel tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full.
Recommendation Use a set of chassis ears and hook them up to the fuel tank. If the noise is loudest at the tank then perform no other repair. At this time this is characteristic of the vehicle.
Modification Date 12/29/05 11:11 AM

This is all I can give you, comes from a secure DCX website. No outside access from a URL is possible.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
akaswan

Thanks For the Help.
Unread 11-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
madjack

As for the engine hesitation (starving for gas) under hard acceleration is a torgue converter management program that doesn't allow the transmission to bang into the next gear so it causes a delay.

Ask your dealer for more info.

Hope this helps!
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.