2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee rumble/vibration between 60-70 mph - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
takman

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee rumble/vibration between 60-70 mph

Got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with 142,00 on the clock.

Starting at 60 mph, there's a slight rumble noise with a vibration. You can feel the vibration almost everywhere. It's almost like a deep toned buzzing noise. It peaks at 65 mph, then tapers off as it reaches 70. After 70, the noise is almost non existent. There's also a whining noise at the same time that changes with throttle. When you put your foot down it whines, when you let off, it goes away. The whine sounds like a noisy diff....but strange that it's only at those speeds. And it seems to be coming from the Right Rear area.

I've had the vehicle on a lift and did a good visual inspection underneath. Didn't see anything obvious, no play in the driveshaft U-Joints. Checked wheel bearings and didn't find any play.

It's got newish good quality michelin tires...don't feel or see any separation on the them. I don't think it's a tire balance issue.

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Jessetheflip

Iam no professional but iam having drive shaft issues with very similar problems, our drive shafts don't have U-joints, they have CV Joints. My vibration get worse around 60mph and taper off around 85mph...I will be getting a custom front driveshaft with serviceable U-joints soon. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Jessetheflip

Also no drive shaft play in my situation*

post #4 of 20 Old 06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
gargoyle91

Mine starts doing it when the tires get worn out rotate and balance usually helps until I can buy new ones but not sure about the whining noise
post #5 of 20 Old 06-15-2016, 05:00 AM
SilverLimited
2015 WK 

I've had the diff whine issue on our 2005 (160,000) over the 11 years of ownership in both the front and rear axles. While it was still under extended warranty I had the dealership rebuild both front and rear axles, that usually solved the whine issue for several thousand miles.

Had the very same 60-65 mph vibration problem you have when the 2005 was fairly new. If I remember it turned out to be the front driveshaft. I could usually stop the vibration by running the Jeep up to 60mph, feel it start to vibrate, then slightly back off the accelerator for a second or two then increase speed. The vibration would stop. If I can dig up the maintenance records I'll try to confirm what they replaced.
JakeWK likes this.

15 WK2 Overland 3.6L QTII
05 WK Limited 5.7L QDII
01 WJ Limited 4.7L QuadraDrive
00 WJ Laredo-gone
post #6 of 20 Old 06-15-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
takman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessetheflip View Post
Iam no professional but iam having drive shaft issues with very similar problems, our drive shafts don't have U-joints, they have CV Joints. My vibration get worse around 60mph and taper off around 85mph...I will be getting a custom front driveshaft with serviceable U-joints soon. Hope that helps

I'm not sure im following you...

From transmission to rear diff, the driveshaft uses U-Joints. From transfer case to front diff, again U-joints. From front diff to front wheels its Constant Velocity Joints...that's because the front uses an independent design, wheres as the rear doesn't because its a solid/live axle.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
takman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post
I've had the diff whine issue on our 2005 (160,000) over the 11 years of ownership in both the front and rear axles. While it was still under extended warranty I had the dealership rebuild both front and rear axles, that usually solved the whine issue for several thousand miles.

Had the very same 60-65 mph vibration problem you have when the 2005 was fairly new. If I remember it turned out to be the front driveshaft. I could usually stop the vibration by running the Jeep up to 60mph, feel it start to vibrate, then slightly back off the accelerator for a second or two then increase speed. The vibration would stop. If I can dig up the maintenance records I'll try to confirm what they replaced.

That's good to know. It might have been doing this for a long time...I don't know as I just got it a few months ago...But I know my father-in-law always fixed everything on this vehicle and it's been well maintained...

I am going to swap every tire one at time with the spare and see if it goes away. I don't think it's a tire, but at least it will eliminate the possibility......it would nice if it was just a tire issue actually
post #8 of 20 Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLimited View Post

LOL this has been my life for the past 10k miles.. I rebuilt the CV end of my front prop shaft, which quieted the noise for a few k miles, but it's back. Saving now for a double Cardan shaft, probably Carolina made.

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
post #9 of 20 Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 AM
tom19511
2006 WK 

My rear diff has been whining since I bought it in 08 with 34,000 on it.. Now has 145,000 still whining, no problems..

Tom
tchristopher1@twc.com
2006 G.C.65th Anniv. Edition
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
post #10 of 20 Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
takman

i'm not that concerned about the whine. I expect some considering the mileage my jeep has. But I'd like to find out whats going with this vibration as I want to take the jeep on some long trips soon.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Medic80
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
i'm not that concerned about the whine. I expect some considering the mileage my jeep has. But I'd like to find out whats going with this vibration as I want to take the jeep on some long trips soon.
Sounds very similar to an issue I recently had with my WK. Vibrations most noticeable at Highway speeds. It turned out to be my rear Driveshaft. I pulled it to inspect the U-joins and discovered there was no play in the joint like you would expect to find, however they felt extremely tight and difficult to manipulate. Because my Jeep had 245,000 Kms at the time, and wasn't sure if the shaft had ever been replaced under warranty I purchased an aftermarket piece complete with serviceable U-Joints. Popped it in and immediately noticed a difference. No more vibration.

Hope this helps.

Medic80|05 Larado|Black Crystal Pearl|4.7L|1.5" RC's|Saharas|255/70/18 Dueler ATs|Black WK Member 79
post #12 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
takman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic80 View Post
Sounds very similar to an issue I recently had with my WK. Vibrations most noticeable at Highway speeds. It turned out to be my rear Driveshaft. I pulled it to inspect the U-joins and discovered there was no play in the joint like you would expect to find, however they felt extremely tight and difficult to manipulate. Because my Jeep had 245,000 Kms at the time, and wasn't sure if the shaft had ever been replaced under warranty I purchased an aftermarket piece complete with serviceable U-Joints. Popped it in and immediately noticed a difference. No more vibration.

Hope this helps.
Very helpful thanks.

How much did the aftermarket unit cost and where did you get it from?
post #13 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Medic80
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Very helpful thanks.

How much did the aftermarket unit cost and where did you get it from?
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...shaft_2005.php

Medic80|05 Larado|Black Crystal Pearl|4.7L|1.5" RC's|Saharas|255/70/18 Dueler ATs|Black WK Member 79
post #14 of 20 Old 06-18-2016, 04:36 PM
JakeWK
Got Lock?

2005 WK 

Whew at $400 though?? You could get a custom double cardan built and shipped for cheaper than that stock one...

05 WK HEMI

JakeWK Build Thread
USN Jeep Club
CentralCaL 4X4
Colorado 4X4
post #15 of 20 Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
takman

So I swapped the RR tire with the spare as I was suspect that this is where the vibration was coming from, and the noise is almost non-existent now. Just a very very slight vibration, but this could be coming from another tire.

I'm surprised as the tire is a michelin, and from experience the quality is good. But I guess every tire is prone to separation.

i am going to leave the spare on for a few more days just to confirm, and make sure the noise doesn't return.

Eventually I will be replacing all the tires with GF goodrich all terrains.....had them years ago on my toyota tacoma...awesome tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.