2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee harmonic balancer/crank pulley wobble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
takman
2005 WK 

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee harmonic balancer/crank pulley wobble

I've got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7 Liter with 140,000 on the clock.

I noticed the other day the balancer seems to be wobbling a lot. Is this normal for jeeps, or is it close to imminent failure?

Also, do these slide on, or pressed on? (need a puller tool to remove)

have a look at the video, especially towards the end.

https://youtu.be/TRwtf42wVag
thanks

Last edited by takman; 05-11-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

it is plastic.. and needs to be replaced.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
takman
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango. View Post
it is plastic.. and needs to be replaced.
plastic? looks like all metal to me, except for the rubber sandwiched between the pulley and balancer

post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 PM
90grandoneer
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
plastic? looks like all metal to me, except for the rubber sandwiched between the pulley and balancer
Don't know which engine you're talking about, but if it's a 5.7 you're right on the construction and it does need a puller to get it off. You'll need a new bolt when you get a new pulley (I bought a 25% under drive one for my 5.7) for it. Works great.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
takman
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Don't know which engine you're talking about, but if it's a 5.7 you're right on the construction and it does need a puller to get it off. You'll need a new bolt when you get a new pulley (I bought a 25% under drive one for my 5.7) for it. Works great.

130 bucks from the dealer, or half that for an aftermarket unit.

I am leaning towards dealer, not something to skimp on i think...

but what I really need is confirmation from people that either yes it's normal (which I don't think it is) or no it's not and you need to change it ASAP
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

it is plastic and metal and you can see it coming apart in the video. as you call it the "sandwich" is coming apart. common issue. there is a special puller and a tool to keep the crank still. the after market that I have seen on this part are ok. I call it plastic but i'm sure there is some high tech name for that material, like build to die at 100k.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

No, it's not plastic. Anywhere.

Pull the belt off first and give it a give the balancer a good tugging. If it's solid, I'd not worry about it. I've seen some that have runout and while it's not ideal, I don't see it hurting anything.

If it's loose at all, get that sucker changed.

Parts store will have a 'chrysler balancer puller'. It'll have three arms that grab tabs on the hub. I recall warming up my replacement balancer and lightly tapping it on the crank to start it, then finishing the install with it's bolt.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
takman
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
No, it's not plastic. Anywhere.

Pull the belt off first and give it a give the balancer a good tugging. If it's solid, I'd not worry about it. I've seen some that have runout and while it's not ideal, I don't see it hurting anything.

If it's loose at all, get that sucker changed.

Parts store will have a 'chrysler balancer puller'. It'll have three arms that grab tabs on the hub. I recall warming up my replacement balancer and lightly tapping it on the crank to start it, then finishing the install with it's bolt.
yea, it may have been like that for years now. i only got it a few months ago.

i gave it a tug already and it seems solid. but it seems like it would put unecessary wear on the belt and tensioner. If it came out of the factory like that....that would be ridiculous.

i will probably change it just for peace of mind if anything, if its original, its got 140k on it....so got my money worth out of it.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

Revive?
Just got a 2005 5.7 WK with 225K kms..
Noticed the harmonic balancer wobbling a fair bit..
Just did a little research, doesn't sound too good....
Found the thread.
I will replace mine ASAP
Love this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.