2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body seal replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body seal replacement

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
physoft

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee body seal replacement

Newly acquired 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a damaged driver side door seal. I have bumped it a few times myself exiting the vehicle so now it is in shreds. Looks like the seal comes off pretty easy until I get down around the scuff plate. I will have to remove the scuff plate because the seal runs under it. In removing the scuff plate the service manual says: "Use a TRIM STICK to disengage the retaining tabs". What does this mean? How are the tabs disengaged? I seems the trim stick is just another name for a pry bar. I tried to gently lift up the scuff plate by hand but it did not budge. Does the trim stick have a special way of disengaging the tabs? Should I just pull harder? I don't want to damage anything so what is the best way to proceed? Thanks.

Last edited by physoft; 10-10-2009 at 07:06 PM..
physoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
physoft

Bump...Anybody?
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
AaronInSD
2005 WK 

Sounds to me its like what you described a pry bar. Did some searching on the web and came across this SPX Miller Special Tools | Detail: C-4755 - TRIM STICK
Its most likely a plastic or rubber coated tool to pry up the scuff plate without scratching things up.
AaronInSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

A trim stick is a small piece of rigid plastic that is tapered at the ends to allow removal of interior trim. Kinda looks like a putty knife, only plastic.

EDIT: And then there's ones that look like the one posted above.
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
physoft

The other question was about the scuff plate. Is this something that I pull up on or pry up, or are there screws hidden somewhere? Just don't want to damage anything.
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

You're likely not pulling hard enough, but I will say the plastic is very cheap, and will break. I broke one of the tabs on mine, but just one.... still fits fine.

Cheap plastics is everyone's sore thumb right now, but if you want *really* cheap plastic, sit in a later model Toyota. They and Chrysler are the current kings of cheap plastic!!!!
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
dcaprio
2005 WK 

I did the door seal replacement on my 05 WK a few months ago. Simple. The sill plate comes right out. I pulled mine off, no probem. Pops right back in. No more wind noise!
'05 WK Limited 5.7L HEMI - 2" Rough Country Lift, LT245/75/17 Big-O A/Ts, Saguaro 4x Components 3/4" shackle mounts and antenna mount, Midland 1001Z CB radio, Firestik 3' antenna, Bilstein shocks, Stillen Metal Matrix pads and rotors, 4XGuard 12 Bolt Rear Differential Guard
dcaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
physoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
You're likely not pulling hard enough, but I will say the plastic is very cheap, and will break. I broke one of the tabs on mine, but just one.... still fits fine.

Cheap plastics is everyone's sore thumb right now, but if you want *really* cheap plastic, sit in a later model Toyota. They and Chrysler are the current kings of cheap plastic!!!!
I am thinking that there is a correct way to use the pry bar to prevent the damage you speak of. In my service manual I see two layers to the scuff plate sandwiched together. Do they come off together or one at a time? The tabs are in different locations so I assume you put the pry bar right under each tab location and pry up. This would put maxmum effort where it counts and hopefully prevent damage. Sound right?
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
physoft

All done! I found a pry bar set (4) on eBay - much better than the MOPAR product for half the money and carfully pryed up the scuff plate. Replaced the entire body seal I got from the dealer and snaped the scuff plate back in place. I will keep the old body seal in case I need to do a repair around the rear of the door (where my rear hits the door). Thanks for all your help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.