2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 limited overheating when idle ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trailstarved, I'm having the same fan issue. It won't run at all, no matter if the ac is on or if I'm pulling a trailer. I'm not having any overheat issues but the ac is not cooling well.

I guess I will try the dealer because of the stars can tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM
TrailStarved
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavern23
Trailstarved, I'm having the same fan issue. It won't run at all, no matter if the ac is on or if I'm pulling a trailer. I'm not having any overheat issues but the ac is not cooling well. I guess I will try the dealer because of the stars can tool.
Any luck? It's getting warm now, and I won't get by with air cooling any longer, so I have to make a move. I checked, and my fan is running at 100 RPM no matter what. I DO hear a "click" which could be the solenoid or could be the A/C compressor clutch?
post #18 of 23 Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
lavern23
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I found that the fan is controlled by pulse type communication from the computer. My ac issue was that the evaporator block was bad on the firewall. I installed a new one and pulled down the ac system and then recharged.

post #19 of 23 Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 AM
terryajohnson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

cracked radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
Can you actually hear your fan kick on and go into overdrive once it goes over the midway point on the temp gauge? I had this happened and checked my coolant which was non existant. I filled it back up and next thing I knew it was gone. Turned out I had a cracked radiator. You might check your radiator for spray (white marks) to see if that is causing the issue.
Same issue loosing coolent. checked top radiator hose connection. Gave the connection a squese and crusred the plastic hose fitting on the radiator.
Replaced the radiator alls good
Terry Johnson
post #20 of 23 Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Marmalex
2006 WK 

my problem is that the fan is not spinning fast enough to cool down the ac radiator, and the high pressure on ac radiator is at 22 bar. i dont have enough power steering fluid in the tank thow, but i dont think that is influencing the fan speed. any ideeas?!? tomorow ill go to jeep dealership to see what they will say..
post #21 of 23 Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 AM
terryajohnson
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Over heating when idle

1St fill power steering unit this is what drives the fan. after I changed the radiator and started my jeep at idle it started to get hot. the power steering fluid was a little low. filled it au and started the jeep again, still hot, the the fan started to speed up. You can not imagin how fast it will spin. If that engine was in an engine stand it would have taken off, maby a little exaggeration.
Terry Johnson
post #22 of 23 Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

clogged radiator.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Wk Hydraulic Cooling Fan Solenoid

Hi:

I am troubleshooting a similar issue with a 2007 WK Diesel with a Hydraulic fan. I can not get the fan to kick in turn on, or move at all actually. I am guessing solenoid is blocked or dead. Anybody have any experience with this on a WK Hemi or CRD? I have read a lot on the WJ threads, but it is a little different than the WK hydraulic cooling fan.

I have done a few checks of three wire connector going to solenoid, and I get voltage on all three. About 14.4 volts on ground and hot, and then less than a volt range fluctuating on the other wire and ground, which I guess is the Pulse Width Modulation.

Not sure what acceptable range is here, and of course it varies based on input form transmission, AC and engine temp.

One thing I did succeed in today was to "build a special wrench" to remove the solenoid with.

I converted a large unused wrench to the needed 23 mm by 5 mm thick in order to fit in between the hydraulic pump assembly, and the solenoid body. Worked like a charm as there is a lot of space between fan and engine. I put an oil drain pan underneath to catch the drip, which was not too much. maybe a few ounces.
Attached Images

Last edited by omsok; 04-11-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.