2005 Grand Cherokee Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee Won't Start

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
crg620
2005 WK 

2005 Grand Cherokee Won't Start

I bought a used '05 Limited (5.7L ~40,000 miles) a few months back and all seemed well until it started getting cold out (roughly below 30 degrees fahrenheit).

Once it got that cold, and the Jeep sat for more than an hour or two, it wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it. All the accessories would work flawlessly, I would hear a "click" (possibly the starter solenoid or the starter itself), but nothing more - no cranking or anything. If I sat with the accessories running long enough (anywhere from 2-10 minutes), it would finally start. I was using the factory battery and thought maybe it had lost some of it's CCA; I also thought that maybe sitting with the accessories on was maybe "warming the battery up" enough to get it to provide enough juice to get the motor running (not sure if there's anything to that theory or if I am just making it up).

Once the temperatures warmed up briefly, the problem went away. However as of last night, along with the cold temperatures, the problem is back, only now (no matter how long I sit with the accessories on) I can only get that single "click" but the motor doesn't crank. It DID turn over after I had a buddy jump me.

I went to Advanced Auto where they tested the battery and the starter and both seemed ok (although I'm not putting a lot of confidence in that data). We were able to jump the Jeep using a battery off the shelf, so I bought and replaced the battery to see if that would work and drove home (roughly 5 miles away). As of this morning I had to jump my car to get it to start.

Now after all that, here are my questions/thoughts:

-If it was a starter issue, would jumping it help? Is it possible that the starter is on its last leg and using the juice from 2 batteries (or a jump start) is required to make it turn over?

-Could it have still been the battery and the new one just hasn't had a solid enough chance to get charged by the alternator (since it was sitting on a shelf for awhile)?

-When I turn the key, I hear a "click", assuming that is the starter solenoid, does that mean it's ok? Or could that still be a possible issue?

-Could it be something completely different (ie: ignition)?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give all the details in case somebody has run into something similar and can help. I just want to have all the knowledge possible before I go empty my wallet at the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

crg620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
crazypastee
2005 WK 

try checking for corrosion on the terminals on the starter, when i bought my jeep last jan it would not start, had the dealer check it out and they said there was alot of corrosion on the ground wire, so they cleaned it up and ive had no problems since, hope this helps?
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
crg620
2005 WK 

Thanks; that does help actually. I associated this problem with the "cold" but maybe it's actually the salt they are laying on the ground for the snow corroding the connections.

My next question is: where is the starter on an '05 5.7L?? From some digging I've done, it sounds like I'll have to jack it up and take the driver's side front wheel off and have a look around. Any suggestions? Anyone?
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've had similar questions 6 hours after I bought mine in November. Found out the starters on these things are a popular defect. If you use the search function you can find tons of posts relating to them.

Location: Just from memory on my 4.7 if your under the car near the front driver side it is pretty far up in that area. I think you can take off the front plastic skid to get some more access to it. I just used a long pry bar to tap it a couple of times and it worked again. Not sure if yours is in a different location or not.

Also, if you end up needing a new one. Don't get ripped off. Use this site. http://www.jeepoemparts.com/jeep-gr...kee-parts.html $70 here versus the $100+ a dealer would quote you.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
crg620
2005 WK 

Update:

This weekend I finally had a chance to get under the Jeep.

I had a friend try and start the car while I watched the starter and noticed a ton of sparks where the wiring meets the starter.

I am assuming now that my problem is corrosion or a loose connection, but either way I have an appointment at the shop tomorrow to find out for sure.
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
LimitedHemi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the post and please update what you find- my 05 limited, 5.7 with 47k miles started doing the EXACT same thing this week. I actually was looking on here first to see what I could find so I could save some time digging this weekend. Hope the shop can find your problem and steer me in the right direction!
LimitedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
wrenchbendr
2005 WK 

yep ur not the only one. my jeep wouldnt start monday morning and ive never had it not want to turn over. 64k on the clock, and all i got was the infamous click,click from the starter. had my dad come over and hold the key in the start position while i hammered on the starter with a ball peen and after the fourth hit sparks shot down and she started. took it straight to my shop and lifted it up, pulled the d/s and starter. starter bolts were tight but the positive terminal was not very tight, so i don't know if thats what it was or the starter. the sparks could have come from the small drain tube on the motor body, but who knows i changed it anyways for $95 from napa. i did find it worthless to pull the tire and inner fender to try to access the starter wires, couldnt get my fat head in there, plus that little plastic rivet on the rocker panel broke and costed me $5.95 at my local dealer! good luck with yours!
wrenchbendr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
crg620
2005 WK 

Sorry gentlemen, the news for me wasn't the greatest.

The starter solenoid was the culprit. Something inside the solenoid was causing an arc (hence the sparks I saw) between the solenoid and the starter. This arc also explains why car would start once it got jumped (it was getting an extra boost to compensate for the power loss during the arcing).

The solenoid and starter come as an assembly, so I had to replace them together. The total repair for this was just under $300.

I've got pictures to show the burn marks, but I'm not sure how to embed them in my post (I only see a way to link to a website). If someone can tell me how it's done I can show you exactly what I described above.
Unread 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
wrenchbendr
2005 WK 

yea as far as i know you can only buy the two together(starter&solenoid). are u saying that it was $300 for the starter and solenoid alone or you took it somewhere and had them do it for $300?
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
crg620
2005 WK 

Sorry, the parts and labor together were about $300 from the dealership:
- 2 hrs labor @ $92
- 1 starter/solenoid assembly @ $102.41
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
wrenchbendr
2005 WK 

oh ok then that aint that bad. wow is that what the labor rate is down there? think my local dealer is around $80 last time i saw their sign.
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
crg620
2005 WK 

I sort of presumed the rate; the invoice isn't the clearest I've seen. I just know I paid $184 for labor on that particular repair and it looks like the labor is shown as 2 hours. Although I had a couple other small things done while I was there, so they may have just taken the total time at the end of the day and distributed it throughout the stuff I had done.

Either way, it would have been nice to spend that money on the vice of my choosing rather than my Jeep.
Unread 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
Gelso

2005 Jeep 5.7L no start no crank

Jeep had been running well for 2 months, then would not start on first cold morning ~20degF. Key on gave only a click at the starter relay (this was not the starter solenoid). No crank. Removed driver side tire and wheel shroud, breaking plastic fasteners. This opens a small access window to the top of the starter. But a heat shield blocks access to be able to view the constant-hot lead and yellow wire to solenoid trigger (this is the metal tab). So underneath the Jeep on the driver side, nestled above the drive shaft and the exhaust manifold, is bolted (with 2 15mm bolts) the starter with the solenoid riding piggyback. Attached to outboard side of starter is the heat shield which is bolted with 2 10mm bolts. Removed heat shield. Now back at the window I can see that yellow wire on the metal tab has slid back, probably not making metal-to-metal contact. Suspect connector worked loose overtime and thermal contraction from low temperature was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Re-connected yellow wire to tab, hearing a firm click as I pushed it onto the tab. Re-attached battery leads and the Jeep started with no problem.

The rest of the story: my troubleshooting didn't go as smoothly as depicted above. Actually removed the starter/solenoid and had it tested - it passed, but made a slight grinding sound so I replaced it for $80. Had to drop front end of driveshaft at universal joint (four 15mm bolts) and remove exhaust sensor to allow access to remove starter's two 15 mm bolts. Found a ratcheting box end wrench to be helpful. Tested yellow wire in key on and found it had 12volts; ditto for the constant-on connection. All told spent $100 and 3 days lying on my back on a cold concrete driveway. Really is a nightmare to figure out how to contort one's body and to come up with the right combination of socket extensions, breaker bar, wrenches....hope this helps.

QUOTE=crg620;8917853]I bought a used '05 Limited (5.7L ~40,000 miles) a few months back and all seemed well until it started getting cold out (roughly below 30 degrees fahrenheit).

Once it got that cold, and the Jeep sat for more than an hour or two, it wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it. All the accessories would work flawlessly, I would hear a "click" (possibly the starter solenoid or the starter itself), but nothing more - no cranking or anything. If I sat with the accessories running long enough (anywhere from 2-10 minutes), it would finally start. I was using the factory battery and thought maybe it had lost some of it's CCA; I also thought that maybe sitting with the accessories on was maybe "warming the battery up" enough to get it to provide enough juice to get the motor running (not sure if there's anything to that theory or if I am just making it up).

Once the temperatures warmed up briefly, the problem went away. However as of last night, along with the cold temperatures, the problem is back, only now (no matter how long I sit with the accessories on) I can only get that single "click" but the motor doesn't crank. It DID turn over after I had a buddy jump me.

I went to Advanced Auto where they tested the battery and the starter and both seemed ok (although I'm not putting a lot of confidence in that data). We were able to jump the Jeep using a battery off the shelf, so I bought and replaced the battery to see if that would work and drove home (roughly 5 miles away). As of this morning I had to jump my car to get it to start.

Now after all that, here are my questions/thoughts:

-If it was a starter issue, would jumping it help? Is it possible that the starter is on its last leg and using the juice from 2 batteries (or a jump start) is required to make it turn over?

-Could it have still been the battery and the new one just hasn't had a solid enough chance to get charged by the alternator (since it was sitting on a shelf for awhile)?

-When I turn the key, I hear a "click", assuming that is the starter solenoid, does that mean it's ok? Or could that still be a possible issue?

-Could it be something completely different (ie: ignition)?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give all the details in case somebody has run into something similar and can help. I just want to have all the knowledge possible before I go empty my wallet at the dealership.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Gelso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
battery , grand cherokee , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.