2005 Grand Cherokee stuck in 3rd gear. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee stuck in 3rd gear.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
robertconfer77

2005 Grand Cherokee stuck in 3rd gear.

Can anybody please help me or at least point me in the right direction? 2005 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 Hemi, 65k for miles. On my way into work the other day my jeep decided to shift itself into 3rd gear by itself and now it says 3rd on the dash and I can't get it to shift up or down even with the auto stick. The first couple of times that i unhooked the battery it would reset the check engine light and all was good but now it won't even do that. I've heard a few people talking about a tranmission shift sensor.....has anyone else experienced anything like this?????

robertconfer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

Limp-in mode is third gear. There's something wrong. Beyond that you need diagnostic equipment (i.e. a dealer or well-equipped shop) to know what the problem actually is.

If the check engine light was on, you may be able to get some information by turning the key from OFF to RUN three times quickly. A selection of stored diagnostic codes will be displayed in the EVIC. Still won't give you a full picture, though.
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
robertconfer77

okay, well I guess i will try turning the key 3 times to get any codes listed and then a scan at the auto shop. I've seen this problem talked about several times by others on here but nobody seems to address it.
Unread 05-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
wagoneerXJ
1998 ZJ 

maybe the electronic shift module?

Unread 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
robertconfer77

Nope, not the electronic shift module, i actually watched the same you tube video just the other day and tore apart the shifter and even though there were no graphite marks or lines I still cleaned and dried the board and put it back in....no change. I keep reading other stories with the same symptoms and most of them end up replacing the solenoid inside the transmission pan. Question....while I am no mechanic I am very good with tools, instructions, and taking things apart and putting them back together, so I'm wondering if replacing the solenoid is something I can do ( my neighbor owns a garage with a lift and has all the tools I need) Could I actually do this on my own????
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
rollindom

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertconfer77
Can anybody please help me or at least point me in the right direction? 2005 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 Hemi, 65k for miles. On my way into work the other day my jeep decided to shift itself into 3rd gear by itself and now it says 3rd on the dash and I can't get it to shift up or down even with the auto stick. The first couple of times that i unhooked the battery it would reset the check engine light and all was good but now it won't even do that. I've heard a few people talking about a tranmission shift sensor.....has anyone else experienced anything like this?????
When my 05 HEMI went into limp mode I believe a code P0700 came up and it was the transmission valve body and solenoid pack that went bad. However I agree with guys above and you should have the code professionally read because the "limp mode" could be an indication of many issues.

Edit: I just read your last post again and to answer your question the valve body and solenoid pack is pretty easy to access once you drop the pan it is right there. I researched it prior to having mine done and found out it has been done in a home garage many times. It's only a couple hour job if memory serves.
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
robertconfer77

It's going into a Trans shot today for a scan and hopefully some decent news.....I'll update tomorrow with result findings.
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
robertconfer77

Ok, trans shop called today and said it's the transmission solenoid pack that has gone bad....I found the part brand new online for $225.00 versus the $341.00 he quoted me but I want to know if anyone out there has replaced on of these themselves. I'm no auto mechanic but i'm good with directions, I can turn a wrench & and I was wondering If this I can do my self at home in the garage....How difficult is this repair????
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
kris06
2006 WK 

Very easy fix remove valve body and then you se it 2 h job
kris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
rollindom

2005 WK 

I found a YouTube video that was for the 45RFE tranny in a WJ Grand Cherokee which uses the same solenoid pack so I'm sure it's a similar install. Here is the link for that and a link to a repair manual. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules.

http://hotrodlane.cc/New%20HEMI%20Te...mi%20trans.pdf

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
kris06
2006 WK 

Yes it's that easy do it your self
kris06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.