2005 Grand Cherokee rear brake job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee rear brake job

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
goldeneye

2005 Grand Cherokee rear brake job

Hi guys, I have a question that I hope you all can help with. I have a 05 Grand Cherokee 2wd, 3.7. I am trying to do the rear brakes, well changing the pads and rotors. I did the front already, but can't for the life of me figure out how to do the rear ones. I got the two bolts on the far side off, but the pads wouldn't budge. I unscrewed a third bolt and brake fluid started coming out. I've changed brakes tens of times in the past, and while the fronts were not the breeze that other cars are, it was fairly straight forward. If you all can, give me step by step, laymans terms directions to do this, preferably something i can print from this thread and take outside to the driveway to get this done. I already have all the tools, but just need instructions. Thanks in advance guys.

goldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

rear is pretty much the same as the front.

REAR DISC BRAKE PADS
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with a clean suction gun.
4. Bottom caliper pistons into the caliper by prying the
caliper over.
5. Remove the caliper slide pins (4).
6. Remove caliper (1) from the anchor.
7. Secure caliper (1) to nearby suspension part with
wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper
weight.
8. Remove the inboard & outboard brake pads from the caliper.

REAR DISC BRAKE PADS
1. Install the inboard & outboard brake pads onto the
caliper.
2. Lubricate the slide pins and slide pin bushings with
caliper slide grease or the grease provided with the
brake pads.
3. Install caliper (1) on the anchor.
4. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (4) and tighten to
25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).
5. Install wheel and tire assembly.
6. Remove support and lower vehicle.
7. Pump brake pedal until caliper piston and brake
pads are seated and a firm brake pedal is
obtained.
8. Fill brake fluid level if necessary.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
goldeneye

ok, at step 4, i assume i can use a flat head against the pad to push the pistons back in. If so, the caliper should be loose now so that i can take it off right?
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

I have always used c-clamps to compress the pistons, but I suppose with enough leverage you could use a flat head.

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6 View Post
I have always used c-clamps to compress the pistons, but I suppose with enough leverage you could use a flat head.
Yeah, I don't follow the manual on that either. I always use a clamp as well. You will have to pry the caliper off the rotor if you don't bottom the piston though. There's usually a raised edge or a band of rust on the rotor that will prevent the caliper from coming off after removing the bolts.

If you do the C-clamp method be sure to leave the old pad on when compressing so you don't damage the piston.
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Not sure if our emergency brake is a drum within the rotor or if the pads clamp the rotor. Release the emergency brake and see if that helps.
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
goldeneye

Thanks for the quick replies guys. U know what, I think the caliper my have a fine amount of rust thats preventing it from coming off easily. The front rotor was frozen so I had to get a heavy duty bolt and some nuts to effectively screw it to build pressure againt the rotor to pop it off, man when it did pop off, it made a very loud pop and a large amount of rust dropped to the ground, it was glorious, lol. So definitely gonna try that. Another thing, I am a safety nut, I know for a fact that the e-brake is engaged because i pulled the lever for it back myself. Even though i use jack stands and still use the old-school tire and wheel under the truck method as well, i still engage the e-brake. Not tomorrow, time to live a little, lol. Will report back on the progress. Thanks again guys.
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Budasac
2005 WK 

The E-brake is a drum on the inside of the rotor. It has no effect on the calipers. An engaged E-brake would prohibit you from removing the rotor itself.

Just remove the two mounting bolts for the caliper and take a pry bar or big screw driver and and slip it vertically between the caliper and rotor and pry it off.
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
goldeneye

Hey guys, I ended up doing the rear brakes today with the help of my younger brother. I wanted to say thanks for all the help from you all. I had a few minor issues, but because of your help, it went off without a hitch. Was able to change the rear pads and the rotors. Again, thanks guys and I look forward to returning to the forum in the future.
Unread 11-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
PeterF
2006 WK 

What's the point of sucking out a little brake fluid? To get the dirty brake fluid out that tends to accumulate in the caliper?
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
clbailey
2005 WK 

The back pressure from compressing the caliper piston. I never do this either. If anything I just pop open the cap and let it bleed itself out.
clbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
What's the point of sucking out a little brake fluid? To get the dirty brake fluid out that tends to accumulate in the caliper?
As your pads wear down more brake fluid is drawn from the reservoir down to the caliper. Typically when you get your oil changed the brake fluid is topped off so the reservoir is always full. If you don't suck a little brake fluid out then when you compress the piston on the caliper, and force the fluid back up through the brake line, the reservoir will overflow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.