2005 Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission issue

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
ValkXB70
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited Transmission issue

Hey all, need some opinions about a problem. My ex has a 2005 Grand Cherokee limited with the 5.7L. She parked her Jeep friday with no issues, but Monday morning when she came out it would not go into gear. The dealership is saying it is either the torque converter or the transmission pump. They did some pressure testing and are saying that the transmission pump is not putting out the proper pressure, so that is what they want to replace. Is this something that just fails, or should there have been some warning signs for it.

ValkXB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
JMorash
2005 WK 

That transmission has a double pump, Not two pumps, but a double pump mechanism. that puts out a max line pressure of about 150 psi.

It supposedly supposed to be one of the most durable parts on that transmission. If there isnt enough pressure the tranmission computer will report this as a code. You however need a special scan tool that chrysler has to check those codes.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
SilverHemi
2005 WK 

In November my '05 Hemi would only shift into 3rd gear(limp mode).
Not sure if this is what happened to yours.
It took three tries for dealer to figure of the prob.
I only had 36K on the vehicle at the time. Eventually
they removed and installed tranny for recondition, per
the service order. Seemed a lot of work for somewhat
simple prob. Luckily Chrysler Service Contract covered,
or it may have been a couple of grand.
Upside is it shifts much smoother and my gas mileage is
up from 9mpg in the city to 12mpg.
SilverHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
ValkXB70
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The check engine light was not on when it happened. I found a copy of the manual online and it calls for a DRB hand scanner.
Unread 03-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
BonesWK
2006 WK 

when mine went out, the dealer blamed it on the pump, but they didnt call for a replacement, they quoted me a re-build of the entire tranny.

just look out for what it might end up costing you, once they get into it and possibly see more damage.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
ValkXB70
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well the dealer pulled it apart and found that there was damage to the clutches. So they are rebuilding the whole thing under warranty.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
MMF912
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition. It has 90k miles on it. I just purchased it 3 months ago. I started having problems when I was stopped at a light and it stalled out on me. I put my jeep in neutral and turned the key and it started right back up. This has happened numerous times now. Only seems to stall out when I'm stopped. But it is getting to be very annoying. Now I'm also getting a "Transmission Over Temp" message. Checked my transmission fluid and it is at the proper level and everything seems fine with it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas of why it keeps stalling out?
MMF912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.