2005 Grand Cherokee idles rough and stalls when im at red or stop light.Help anyone?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee idles rough and stalls when im at red or stop light.Help anyone??

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #16
GeeEssFore

I know that the "fuel service" we do at work also makes a smoke screen just like seafoam. It happens at the dealer also but you just dont see it before they give it to you. Most dealers will pull the o2s before hand but some will leave them in and do it.

GeeEssFore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've had issues with seafoam loostening up deposits that were holding things together (ie gaskets) but if you use in the correct doage (1/2 can in gas, 1/4-1/8 can in pcv, 1/4 can in oil prior to change) it should never foul cats or o2 sensors
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs3232 View Post
Where can I buy the seafoam treatment and is it safe for the Hemi? Is there anything special you need to do to add it, or just pour it in the tank after a fill up? How often do you put in?

Sorry, I am a newb
you can buy it at advance auto, autozone, napa, etc.
I have used it in my cars every year or so, or when I notice problems. There's insturctions on the can I think but see what I mentioned in the post above
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

Or you can do it the safer way and take it to have it serviced like the guy at the top of the page was talking about.
lll2for3lll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
CruiserClass
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs3232 View Post
How much should these treatments run? Reason I ask is my local garage wants to replace all 16 plugs in my Hemi and do a fuel service to the tune of about $400. I won't disagree that my WK needs it, but that sounds high to do maintenance every 15-30k.

I am not mechanically inclined so DIY is out of the question for me.
If you can plug in a lamp and have mastered "left loosey, righty tighty" you can change your own plugs. It may take a couple hours the first time, but it really doesn't require any special knowledge or any tools beyond basic hand tools.

You need a basic socket set, simple bar style torque wrench, spark plug socket, spark plug gapper, a 4" extension, a 6" extension, a wobble joint, and a long extension, 10", 12" whatever. A stubby 10mm wrench will also make life easier.

Pull the spark plug boot off by hand. Put the spark plug socket on the short extension (either 4 or 6, depending on how much room at that cylinder) and turn left until the plug comes out. Gapping a plug is as simple as bending the little wire until the correct size feeler goes into the gap. Gap the plug, put it in the hole, turn until it feels tight, then put the torque wrench on it and push until the little needle points to the 14 on the ft/lb side. Use the 10 mm wrench and 10mm socket, remove the coil pack next to the spark plug boot, (2 bolts, one top and one bottom) lift it up, do the same thing under there to remove and replace the spark plug. Put the plug boot and coil pack back on, move to next cylinder.

The only remotely challenging thing is getting to the front 2 cylinders on the driver's side, and that's where the really short extension and wobble joint come in. Drop the short extension and socket in the hole, plug in the wobble and a long extension, and you're turning the wrench way above the tight mess.

You'll save yourself almost $300 and it really is that simple.
CruiserClass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
hex312
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

2for3 was right!!!! That fixed the problem, thank you!!!
hex312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

I've been trying to tell people this in so many threads. You are so welcome.

My uncle always said never to put stuff in the gas tank. I think that stuff is best for older cars with carburetors.
lll2for3lll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
Or you can do it the safer way and take it to have it serviced like the guy at the top of the page was talking about.
Which really isn't much different than using an additive yourself
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
hex312
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

just make sure you have the throttle body cleaned very important. jiffy lube doesnt touch it but very easy to DIY but maybe other places like firestone clean it for you as part of their service. Thanx again 2 for 3!
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #25
hex312
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

okay didnt work. my jeep is still dying at red lights and i hate it more every day can anyone help me w this POS??????
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
hex312
2005 FSJ Cherokee 

Problem solved. It was short on transmission fluid, about a quart to be exact and told torque coverter might of been sticking, but added the atf+4 and its back to normal, but runs smoother than before w the fuel system cleaning, it needed it but the reason for it dying was the trans being so low.... nuts, just glad its okay now, i love my jeep.
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
ben9560

Please let me know what worked, I have the same problem!

Please let me know what worked, I have the same EXACT problem! I would appreciate it soo much!
ben9560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.