2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 will not start...again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 will not start...again

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
rickbob
2005 WK 

2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7 will not start...again

I have lurked on the forum for a couple of years and now I believe it is time to tell my story and see if I can get some direct advice.

Back in the summer of 2010 my jeep was intermittently not starting. It would turn over, and never crank. It seemed electronic or fuel pump related. I have had some trouble with my key fob, and thought it might even be related to the remote entry. I had it taken to an independent mechanic, who I wanted to work out, because they were a stone’s throw from my office. They told me that it was my IPM. The fix was relatively inexpensive, but the part led to losing my Jeep for three months because of a national back order on the part. It was fixed, not satisfactorily. There were arguments regarding the IMP having fuses- the mechanic insisted it did not. My dashboard lights such as the airbag lights were now coming on and the mechanic said they would diagnose it for additional fees. I did not let them, thinking this problem did not exist before.
Within a couple of weeks my jeep would not start again. Frustrated I opened the IMP and saw there were indeed fuses, and jiggled two that seemed to be off kilter. My jeep started and the dashboard lights went off! However the jeep would have the starting issue again sporadically. I began actually unplugging the IPM to reset the computer. I later learned I could perhaps disconnect the battery and press the brake to do this, but it did not seem to work. Perhaps the time it took me to disconnect the IPM gave the computer the time it needed to reset?
Sometimes the vehicle would go a few months with no problem until a few weeks ago. The problem happened again and I could not get the car started back. The dealer ship was backlogged and could not get to it for a week so I took it to a Toyota center who was also authorized by my insurance to repair a damaged bumper (less than 10mph accident that from over a year ago). They have also done great work, inexpensively for my girlfriend and cut her deals (she’s cute). This mechanic said it was the fuel pump. I asked multiple times if it could be computer related and they insisted “no.” The fuel pump lines had backorder issues for two weeks. Then they fixed it, called and said it was the ECM, or ECU. They charged around $1200 for the fuel pump- parts plus 6 hours, and now want an additional $1000 for the ECM. I am skeptical they know anymore about this than I and are solving problems through replacing the most expensive parts first. I am now on the fence about having it towed back home and tracing the issues myself, my only concern being the dealer having to flash a new computer once I get it fixed.
From looking at the boards this could be a Crank position Sensor, Fuel pump relay, etc. It could still be a key related issue- as I was having even worse problems recently trying to use the remote- i.e. sometimes the doors would only unlock half way or other suspicious things.
Does anyone have advice on how to proceed with my diagnostics in the most economical way? Is there a way to get a dealership to truly look at the small issues first, or can they even tell?
Thanks so much in advance.
-Todd

rickbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
rickbob
2005 WK 

Also- LED's in the radio and dash have flickered when the lights are on since I have owned the vehicle.
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

How old is the battery? We replaced the battery on our 05 last fall after it wouldn't turn over but had enough juice to power the system. Fired right up with new battery.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
BonesWK
2006 WK 

the "all lights on my dash" have me thinking ignition switch. But thats just me. I bought a new Mopar one and swapped it out took about 40$ and 30 minutes.

No issues to date for my christmas tree dash issue.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
rickbob
2005 WK 

The dash is not lighting up with any errors, only the LED's are blinking when the lights are on. I have considered that this might be ignition switch or the switch relay. Is there a way to test without replacing?
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
zach1104
2007 WK 

I had a very similar issue while I was 400 miles from home towing a boat. The out of town dealer used the "throw a part at it" technique and claimed it to be fixed, but the problem came back. Luckily I was less than 50 miles from home at this point. Next, I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they found a loose connection on the starter and now it has been over a year and no problems.

Also, I was able to complain to Chrysler corporate and get a refund on the original 400 dollars I was charged unnecessarily for an ignition switch I didn't need.

Check the connections around the starter.

Good Luck!
zach1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
rickbob
2005 WK 

I think I will have it towed back to the house and start looking at connections. The starter is working fine. I am just not getting fire. The way the math is working at this point I can replace most all of the symptoms including the computer for less than the mechanic has quoted me for the computer. I am just scared of having to have the jeep towed backed to the dealer to flash the computer, or missing something that starts me back down a bad path with a dealership again.
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbob View Post
The dash is not lighting up with any errors, only the LED's are blinking when the lights are on. I have considered that this might be ignition switch or the switch relay. Is there a way to test without replacing?
I think the blinking LED's was attributed to a bad stalk. Try looking for a post about changing the light stalk on the left side of the steering wheel.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
rickbob
2005 WK 

Awesome! Thanks!
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
NUCadet87

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has power but wont start

I have had a similar issue with my wife's Jeep. It turns over and over but will not fire. This is the 5.7L V8 Hemi. After a bit of time it will start but a week ago it would not so I brought it to my mechanic. He did a full diagnostic on it and it gave him codes for the ECU. He found that everything had power but there was one relay that was not getting power through it. The ASM (Automatic Shutdown Module) He called for the scematic for the wiring harness was told that my car did not have an ASM. He told them it did and they again said no. He saw that it was right next to the HVAC module and they appeared to be the same part and pinout so he said to send him one of those. He plugged it in and it started right up. That part runs about $150.
NUCadet87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 , 5.7 , grand cherokee , hemi , no start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.