2005 grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
bighorn56

2005 grand Cherokee

Trans over temp indicator comes on. Dealership scans it and says solenoid went bad and caused the torque converter to go bad. Solenoid is $ 641 for one part. Anybody know anything about after market solenoids?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2017, 02:01 PM
mb81
2006 WK 

The answer to your question is: yes. A complete kit (minus like 8 or more quarts of trans fluid - it's a stupid amount) can be found about anywhere and they aren't too tricky to do yourself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3225711...=ps&dispItem=1 However, that doesn't fix a bad torque converter (if their assessment was correct).

I have some questions for you. How long have you been living with the trans over temp message before taking it to the dealer?
Were you experiencing any shifting issues or notice the torque converter not fully locking up?
I realize it's been about a week since you posted this, so you've probably researched this already (or got gouged by the dealership/auto shop for the repair), but that message is a known-issue and most times not accurate. Many forum posters report that a replacement TRS/solenoid pack does not solve the problem. The most successful remedy is a replacement PCM. You can buy refurbished ones online for a couple hundred bucks. http://store.allcomputerresources.co...grchpcme9.html They ask for VIN info to program in before shipping it, then you ship your old one back in the same box for a core.
I did this a year ago, and the trans over temp message went away for almost 8 months, but has been randomly coming back.

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 HEMI
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2017, 02:58 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn56 View Post
Trans over temp indicator comes on.
When does the indicator come on? As mb said it can be flakey, mine used to flash that message up almost every time I started it when my battery was starting to die.

2007 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ

post #4 of 5 Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 PM
mb81
2006 WK 

Bighorn56, I guess it would be helpful to know what engine/transmission you have - since I've read the starter wire connection can cause this problem on 3.7L or the NAG1 trans. Mine is a 5.7L with 545rfe - which corresponds to the links in my original post.
Take this for what it's worth, but I decided to experiment. The service manual says *for 4.7/5.7L* pin 35 on the C4 connector on the PCM (last of the 4 plugs, all the way in the back against the firewall) is where the trans temp sensor (thermistor/voltage) input comes into the TCM - dark green/orange stripe wire. From there, I'm assuming the signal gets translated and sent on it's way. If a replacement TRS/solenoid pack (with new thermistor) doesn't fix the problem and a new-ish PCM does, then it's probably something flakey with the translation circuitry in the TCM/PCM.
The manual also says, "The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) substitutes a calculated transmission temperature value
if a fault is detected in the Transmission Temperature Sensor circuit." and elsewhere... "A failure in the temperature sensor or circuit will result in calculated temperature being substituted for actual temperature.
Calculated temperature is a predicted fluid temperature which is calculated from a combination of inputs:
Battery (ambient) temperature
Engine coolant temperature
In-gear run time since start-up"
So to test my theory, I cut the green/orange wire on pin 35. That eliminates the possibility of a sensor, wiring, or circuit failure causing my intermittent 'trans over temp' message.
I've been monitoring the temp using Torque app, both before and after I cut the wire. Sure enough, it's calculating the trans oil temp and driving just fine.
It's only been a few days, and time will tell - but I've got my fingers crossed.

2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 HEMI
post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 AM
DVB
2006 WK 

I'm having the same Trans over temp message. It comes on randomly too, seems only when I'm at a drive thru or making a turn (not on every turn though). I thought maybe the fluid was low but it's good....

2006 4.7 Limited QD II, Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.