2005 GC Navigation Update: Scam? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 GC Navigation Update: Scam?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
CAJeepOwner
2005 XJ Cherokee 

2005 GC Navigation Update: Scam?

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Navigation. About a month ago, I started receiving an error message on my Nav, sporadically unable to read the disc. A few weeks later, I got a letter in the mail to update my Nav for $199.00. Within a day, my Nav no longer worked. The Nav now beeps at me to update every few minutes while I'm driving. I removed the disc, and now it beeps only when radio is turned on.

I've called the dealer and basically, the only option is to purchase the disc. Total scam. The beeping is designed to make someone go bananas until they spend $199 to update the system.

Does anyone know of a way to download the update, or to go back to the original Nav system? I'm purchasing a new car in the next 6 months and really don't want to drop the cash on this.

CAJeepOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

I just bought a Garmin 256WT for $169 with free traffic for life, free shipping at newegg. Vehicle NAV systems are a waste of money.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Fizzle1979

2010 JK Wrangler 

You might be able to find a nav disc on ebay for cheaper.
| 2010 JK Unlimited Mountain | Rescue Green | Rugged Ridge Front Bumper | Rugged Ridge Winch Spacer | Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper | Rugged Ridge Tire Carrier | Warn Powerplant HD | Mopar Rock Sliders | Synergy Suspension Front & Rear Grab Handles | AEV 2.5" Lift | AEV Savegre Black Wheels | BFGR 35x12.50x17 KM2s | Rigid Dually LED | Boom Mat
Fizzle1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

Not a scam, just unfortunate timing. The nav discs will work until the end of time provided you don't mind outdated data.
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
kudah

yes. this is just bad timing. your disc... or possibly the dvd reader was going out.. now it has gone out completely. I would buy a disc on ebay and see if that works..
Mine will not read a disc when it is cold. after driving around for a while I can restart the jeep and it will work just fine. I have tried a different disc with the same results.. so a new unit is going to be the answer. Luckily that is a $100 deductible away.

The letter is a complete coincidence, just happened to mail it to you trying to make a sale.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.