2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Jarek5_7

2005 5.7 transmision problems only 1-2

Hi

I`m having tranny problems with my jeep. I bought the car in this condition and I`m figuring this out..well im trying..

jeep gc 2005 5.7 hemi with 545rfe, car has 26000 miles on it

the car start good, shifts to R, D good, smothly, on D from start there is no slippage no hessitation, good engage of 2 and when there supposed to be 3 it suddenly slips like it was on N.

there are two codes for tranny - P0869 line pressure high and P0932 line pressure sensor circuit.

I`ve replaced pressure sensor, no change after. does P0932 line pressure sensor circuit mean that not the sensor but some cirtuit is faulty? wheres` this circuit? in PCM?

Ive checked wires from line pressure sensor to pcm, not grounded and not open, also Ive checked a supply wire from pcm to solenoid pack, also good.

I took down pan and valve body, opened solenoid pack, 6 solenoids (coils) are good I think, I meassured their resistance and they all have 3.5 ohms, I dont have info if this value is correct but if all have the same 3.5ohms it might be ok. there is another coil , its horizontal and it was faulty, I took it apart, there was a wire not connected, looks like it burnt off around 2 cm after solder place, wire is like 0.2mm so its hard to figure out if it was burnt or broken. I solder it on and coil know shown around 5.1 ohms.

After I put valve body, pan etc. I start the car go on D, before I got to main road for test, tranny put 2 corectly, and I even didnt notice when instead of D, number 3 was on the dash, even when I slowed down almost stopping, 3 was still showing like the tranny was in limp mode.

I stopped and put in N, put in D and drove, 1 ok, 2ok, 3 no gear, it slipped like in N, so only 1 and 2 are good.

anyone have an idea where to look next?

there was no grey slime in tranny, fluid wasnt burnt, of course I replaced both filters and put new atf+4 fluid.
when I took valve body down, I noticed very little coat of rust on solenoid pack steel plate, I know that the car has been not used for a very long time.
there were very little rust on that plate but it was noticable, could it influence solenoid pack electronics?

I think it might me electrical, but what to replace?

solenoid pack? or maybe pcm?

I dont want to throw away $ so I havent decided which way to choose
buy solenoid pack?
pcm?
I can buy used tranny here for around 900$ but what it doesnt change a thing, and the problem lies for example in pcm?

sorry for the lentgh, I just wanted to put all information I have about this problem so maybe someone could help a little
regards

Jarek5_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Jarek, welcome to this forum too. I am the one that answered you on the other forum. After looking a little more into this, plus the most common fail items, I am thinking the OD solenoid in the solenoid pack may be the culprit. It is suppose to be on in 3rd, 4th and 5th, all the gears you don't have. I do think you should do a pressure check first though. I think a complete solenoid pack runs in the neighborhood of $150-300, so it'll be a pretty big investment if that's not the problem. Also, you didn't say whether the shift lever indicator (in dash) had all positions bracketed, or just the gear that is selected. I am still snooping around everywhere I can think of. Keep us posted.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Jarek5_7

thanks again

the bracket is only on selected gear. I`m also thinking about new solenoid pack.
seen it on ebay for 200$
Jarek5_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
BobG97
2005 WK 

I had the exact same issue and went through all of the system checks before swapping the tranny for a used one! Originally it started shifting into 3rd as a harsh engagement and would trip "limp mode"! This happened about 4 times (while I was trying to diagnose the issue) and eventually caused third gear failure. I could shift manually first and second and reverse and never have an issue. We checked the PCM, connections on the pins in the solo kid pack harness and the PCM. (I have a buddy that rebuilds transmissions for a living and he eliminated all other possibilities before we swapped it)

When I dropped the pan we did not find anything g out of the ordinary, but after we swapped the trans we took the original trans apart and 3rd gear was toast!

I bought a used one with 40k on I for $750, plus fluids and filters (there are two, both in the pan) and I swapped it myself. Problem solved! You can find all of my troubleshooting on the WK forum under two separate threads (545RFE shifting problems, and 2005 Hemi slow to shift at WOT) I'm not sure if it's the exact tea but you should be able to search for them.

Swap time on the trans was 7.5 hours with me and a buddy, a lift, and all the right tools! I would recommend a transmission jack, that 545RFE is not light!
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.