Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

$200 labor to replace $40 sensor

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Raffish 
#1 ·
Paid $200 labor to replace $40 crankshaft sensor. Did I get f**d or is it really that hard to replace this sensor?

#2 ·
I did mine a few weeks ago and it was tough to get out. Took me a little more than one hour. Only one bolt held the unit in but rust and grime had accumulated in and around the hole the sensor is inserted.

The crank sensor was located in a tight and difficult to access area. Needed to use a rust dissolving solution and turn and pry, turn and pry to get the unit out while I was under the vehicle. Had to be delicate but firm during the process so that the plastic sensor did not break off in the crank sensor hole. Removing the old sensor was a very slow process. There was a point in the process about 30 minutes into it that I wished I had taken it to the Dealer to change the unit. Installing the new sensor was difficult also because the hole made for a very, very tight fit. Coated the O ring with engine oil and had to turn and push, turn and push, for about 25 minutes to get the sensor fully seated.

My Dealer that charges $125/hr. probably would have billed me $250 for the labor plus parts and it would have been worth it.

#3 ·
that's reassuring. Replacing sensor sounded like something simple. btw did you find out it was sensor from reading the sensor code on your dash? I tried that ignition trick before they fixed it (turn off and on) but it never displayed any special codes. Yours is also an 05 right? Im buying code reader for future probs

#4 ·
did you find out it was sensor from reading the sensor code on your dash?
No codes for me. My ABS wheel sensors had been going bad one by one over the past few years until the fourth one went out. At that point, I realized that these electronic sensors probably had a service life and I did not want to risk having the crank or cam sensor fail on a long trip. So, I took the opportunity to change out both the cam and crank sensors along with that fourth abs speed sensor.

#5 ·
Why yes, yes they did. I did this in 30 minutes. I would expect a trained tech to be much faster. It's one bolt. You can reach it pretty easily. Removal of bellypan is only snag. Probably common knowledge that they over bill time worked. No way it took two hours. I've always heard that there is a book in most shops that determines how much time you get billed for a job, regardless of how long it actually takes. It's likely they make good money that way.

#7 ·
I had a wheel sensor go out couple months ago and I ignored it. I know it was wheel sensor 3 warnings and then dealer said its wheel sensor. So is the crankshaft sensor quitting related to the wheel sensor, and if so, wheel sensor fix is now top priority yes?

#9 ·
Hello All!
Does a failing CPS always throw a code? Would a failing CPS guarantee a stall?
I have hard/no starting issues. No codes thrown. Runs fine after starting (restarting is hit and miss), she's never stalled on me.
With a scanner I found my high pressure fuel set point is 4700 PSI and my jeep's actual reading slowly rises to 1200 ish before firing up.

Please help! Thanks!!

2007 WK Limited CRD

#10 ·
I don't know what year and what engine you have. For the V8's in 2006 (either the 5.7L Hemi or the 4.7L) the labor time guide I have says 0.8 hours "warranty time." With a 10 year old or older vehicle, it's not unusual to multiply warranty estimates by 1.5 to account for age and condition of the vehicle.

I don't have the numbers available for the 3.0L CRD, and my "free, non-commercial use" labor time guide cuts off at 2007 for Jeep and other Chrysler products.

#11 ·
I don't know what year and what engine you have. For the V8's in 2006 (either the 5.7L Hemi or the 4.7L) the labor time guide I have says 0.8 hours "warranty time." With a 10 year old or older vehicle, it's not unusual to multiply warranty estimates by 1.5 to account for age and condition of the vehicle.

I don't have the numbers available for the 3.0L CRD, and my "free, non-commercial use" labor time guide cuts off at 2007 for Jeep and other Chrysler products.
the 2007 sensor is the same location and sensor as the 2008 on the crd

where do you down load the free guide from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.