Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The 200,000 Mile Club

17K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  99sajeep 
#1 ·
1,000 miles to go on my bought new '07 crd. Don't take long trips any more, so it may be a while.

Any one else hit 200,000 miles yet?

Who'll be #1?

#2 ·
Good show!! Congratulations!!! I just turned over 100K, so it'll be at least another 10 years for me to get there, as little as I drive anymore. How is the chassis and drive train holding up?

#4 ·
I'm really following this closely to find hope for my 5.7L. I'm at 114k right now, I drive her easy and with love (at least on the road) :cool: and maintain her more than most (3-4k full synth oil change, monthly corrosion inspection and treatment, and monthly engine bay cleaning and inspection, etc...) But it's still a HEMI motor. I'd love to get her past 200k

#7 ·
I sunk about $1100 into her in parts at about 190,000 miles. Redid the front suspension and rear shocks and had to rebuild the rear diff at that time. I'd say she was trouble free until about 160,000.
Since then:
Plugs
Starter
Pcv valve
Water pump (leaking seal)
EGR valve
Upper control arms
Lower ball joints
Bilsteins front and rear
Rear diff bearings
Front diff bushings
Tranny line repair
Blower Motor Resistor
Now needs:
LCA bushings
Strut bushings
Rear control arm bushings
Rear diff bearings
EGR valve (code p0404)
Mini cats (p0420)
Exhaust manifold studs
Valve cover gaskets
Rotors and pads
Pcv valvevalve
O2 sensors to help with gas mileage

Cost per mile is getting pricey but still cheaper than a payment.
"Run her til the wheels fall off...then put another wheel on!"

#8 ·
I'm only at 128k right now, but I sure hope I make it well past 200k before a major repair. I took both my old XJ's to 300k, so I don't see a reason why a WK can't do it.

2006 WK Overland
5.7L Hemi

#9 ·
Good topic, but can you guys please specify what engine you are running ?

I only pay attention to the CRD chatter myself, but at least the original poster said he has a diesel . Totally different than gassers obviously .
I would like to see if a tune like GDE is installed with mods for longer life .

My 2 cents thanks.

#11 ·
Good call. Some have posted their engine size/type, either in their Public Profile or in their signature. Mine is in my Profile and kind of in my signature...it is a 5.7 Hemi. I also think most of the engines will easily go 200K or more, if given reasonable care. Personally, I am more interested in the rest of the drive train, chassis components, HVAC system, Audio system, and interior trim.

Everything on mine is pretty much still like new, no rattles, squeaks, drive train noises or vibratiions. Only real problem I am having is with the inside driver's door handle which flops around like a wet noodle. It still works though as long as I am easy with it. Won't fix it until it breaks...but it's been like this for several years now and hasn't gotten any worse.

#10 ·
At 183,000 miles; bought my jeep in Sept 2014, at 148,000 miles. Probably won't be too long till I pass 200,000.

Just put two new hubs on it, did all four ball joints a few months ago; replaced the rear axle lube (still gotta do the trans case and front axle) I'm planning on replacing both struts here pretty quick too. Everything else looks pretty good.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the spring isolators in the rear and I wanna upgrade the trac bar. Not real interested in building a heavy wheeling rig, but the more I upgrade the suspension components and other parts the longer it will last and stronger it will be.

Think all that adds to the longevity of my jeep. I've had many compliments the jeep, most people can't believe it has 180k miles on it. Not real familiar with the 4.7L, but so far, i've been very impressed with it. I'm hoping that motor lasts long past the body does (which is, hopefully, a long *** time)

#12 ·
As requested:

I have a 4.7 in mine with 162k on it. Regular 5k oil change intervals and change my other fluids in the 30-50k range with nothing but synthetic. She runs great, I run the 91performance SCT and run nothing but 92octane in her. Runs great

#14 ·
I just bought my 2007 4.7 laredo a few weeks ago at 191k. I drive 120 miles a day so, Ill soon hit the 200k mark.

Right now, everything seems pretty solid. I have a few things I know need to be/want to get done. The front and rear shocks and water pump I plan to replace since its so cheap to do from rock auto. Not sure if its running synthetic or not, but it will be soon.

Also not sure about trans or diff servicing but everything seems smooth and the quad trac def works. The paint is in good shape except for right in front of the sunroof. All of the electronic things work and it runs super quiet.

Overall, it seems pretty d*** solid for a car with that many miles on it. I am hoping it will make it another 100k!

#16 ·
Good to hear that everyone is doing well with high mileage. In the next few months, I'll be driving to Phoenix then back home. Then to Vegas and back. Everything on my WK is working great at 129k, so I hope it holds up. I live in the SF Bay Area, so that will be a few thousand miles round trips.

#17 · (Edited)
300k+ miles on my 02 Limited WJ. Odometer reads 294k because I have oversized tires on it. I just drove it from South Texas to Missouri in July.. and then from South Texas to North Carolina and back in October. Its made 2 trips from San Antonio to Vegas, 9+ Trips from San Antonio to Colorado. Its been to Senoia GA (Woodbury, Terminus & outside the walls of Alexandria GA from Walking Dead). Grand Canyon a few times, Offroad trails at Arches Park in Utah. Up Pikes Peak in Colorado, Smokey Mountains in TN. Drove in a blizzard and hit a 10' snowbank at 10,800' in Wolf Creek CO.

Sadly... My WJ is sitting in my garage dead at the moment. 3 weeks ago my upper radiator hose blew while on the expressway, dumped all the coolant and my motor overheated almost instantly. As soon as I saw the steam I pulled over, replaced the hose and fluid, but it was already too late.. It started knocking a mile later. I plan on repairing it, as its been maintained very well. But once its running again, I dont know what Im going to do with it.

At 217k a ring collapsed, causing piston damage. A head swap and piston swap later, it was back up and running.
At 250k a vacuum leak caused a backfire which blew a hole in the upper intake box and cracked all the vacuum hoses. Required 1 trip to the junk yard.
At 297k horrible squealing and rattling. Replaced CV Ball, U joints, Drivers Hub, Rebuilt front Diff & Front Shocks.
At 298k AC compressor started locking up. Compressor, Lines & Canister replaced.
At 299k Heater core broke.
At 300k radiator hose blew and damaged motor.

Really went downhill in 1 months time.. But Im not ready to call it dead yet...

I bought a 07 Rocky Mtn WK a week ago, hopefully its as reliable as my 02 WJ (300k) and 96 XJ (168k) were. I wanted another limited but I didnt want a Hemi, with all my long distance traveling I need gas mileage that is better than 16mpg.

#18 ·
250K+ on the Wife's 06 Commander Limited at 240K the radiator went and it dropped a valve seat from over heating, swapped in a remanufactured motor still going strong. The exterior and interior look awesome plus it's paid for so could not justify moving her to a different vehicle.

#21 ·
Not sure about that !
New vehicles have over 100 computers controlling everything .
Metal is so thin now you can't lean on anything.
Wiring quality is crap - thin, low quality coatings rather than proper plastic housings. Even anything chrome or stainless will rust waaay quicker .
Most interior plastics are made of Doritos - won't last 5 years in the sun.

Sure , if all one owned was crap mini vans or other problem prone vehicles back in the day, sure they wouldn't go a hundred thou without major replacement/rebuilds.
But I'll put any decent late 80's - 90's vehicle up against the new equivalent - the new stuff will be at the repair shop 5 times more .
Simply put - overly complicated systems will fail more frequently.

#25 ·
Coming up on 190K, was just looking through the forum again regarding stuff for the front suspension. I have to replace the front half shafts, and I might as well replace the worn bushings/struts and the like while I'm in there.

Debating while I'm in there doing the ball joints, bearings, lower control arm, sway bar links and steering rod ends. Oof.

5.7 Hemi

#26 ·

#29 ·
Man, glad to see all the 200k people here. My 4.7 08 XK is at 180,000 and goes in Monday for a diagnostic check to see why it is drinking 2.5 quarts every 1000 miles. FCA may end up putting in a new motor. If I make it to 200k, it might be with a new motor.
I take good care and do all the periodic maintenance. Here is a list of most major replacements:

Head gaskets at 150k (powertrain warranty)
Front diff gears at 170k (powertrain warranty)
radiator at 140k - who knew that metal and plastic don't play well together
transfer case at about 130k and all the sensors/actuators replaced multiple times before and after.
Lower control arms at 179k
Multiple bushings and the like since 75k

The 4 wheel low has not worked more than is has worked since I bought it new in '08, grrrrrrr and just went out again!
Hope to get new motor and take it another 150-200k after.

#30 ·
Mine just turned 200,000 on Friday. 2007 WK Overland with the 5.7. Replaced both front calipers - pistons fell apart, ECU (stalling issue with plugs seems to have fried it, before I learned of Mopar black-tip plugs), and front driveshaft CV joint. Other than that, just tires, brakes, filters, etc. Needs an AC Compressor now, and rear shocks, maybe a radiator... the list goes on and on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.