2" RC lift question/problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2" RC lift question/problem

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing the Quart Crate...

Unread 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
EtherealPonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgradedropout View Post
Your rc looks so much higher then my daystar, wish i would of done that
The lift slightly reduced after driving it for a week, but it still looks good - Thanks.

Did you also put in the Bilsteins? they are by far the best mod I did, increase height by 3/8th of an inch and made cornering much better. I would recommend those if you haven't installed them already.

EtherealPonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
4thgradedropout

No i was on a budget. I have skyjackers in the rear and sensatrcks on front
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
EtherealPonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgradedropout View Post
No i was on a budget. I have skyjackers in the rear and sensatrcks on front
Funny I said the same thing about the OME ! I suppose as long as it fits the purpose (I mainly did it for wheeling sand dunes), thats what matters.
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
4thgradedropout

I commute more then anything id love to go wheeling more but i work 6 days a week so never get a chance
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
Eastwk
2007 WK 

I know this is an old thread but I am have the exact same issue you did I don't think my struts where compressed either and my cv joint looks the exact same what did you do to remedy the situation I have an rc lift and installed bilsiten 4600 yesterday in the front front now sits 23 1/4 and rear sits 211/2 center hub to fender need help don't want to mess up anything because it is my dd and the wife would kill me
Eastwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
EtherealPonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwk View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am have the exact same issue you did I don't think my struts where compressed either and my cv joint looks the exact same what did you do to remedy the situation I have an rc lift and installed bilsiten 4600 yesterday in the front front now sits 23 1/4 and rear sits 211/2 center hub to fender need help don't want to mess up anything because it is my dd and the wife would kill me
Hi there, sounds very similar to what I experienced. Eventually (a couple of weeks of driving) the ride height began to reduce and the shocks got further compressed (about an inch I would say in total). I didn't use the same Bilsteins that you have, I went with the 'standard' HD series. But form what I heard they increase the right height too on top of the RC lift, anything from 0.5 to 3/4 of an inch, mainly because they are slightly longer than the stock ones. So once everything settles you should be on +2.5" or near about in comparison to stock.

What I really recommend you change though (eventually) is the Upper Control Arms, as the ball joint on the stock you will notice is at an angle when the truck is level on the ground, and this gets worse when you go over obstacles, but the main issue is when the wheel is left to hang freely (going over a speed hump or wheeling), you may hear a clunk noise, which is caused by the shock absorber mount plate touching the wheel knuckle on full extension (thus less downward travel). I went with the JBAs and they are built to last, excellent customer service from 4XGuard too!

I also changed the sway bar links and went with stock length ones from BWoody, they are heavier duty and tension compensate for the slightly higher stress on the sway bars when cornering at higher speeds. I feel this improved highway driving (it is also my DD so I had to ensure the lift did not impact the road drivability, otherwise the misses would , ahem .. kill me too ). Longer links are only required on >= 3" lift, this is the advice form the senior mechanic at BWoody.

Regarding the actual CV Joint angle, there is nothing you can do about that, it would be slightly more acute in comparison to stock, but for a small lift (which the 2" RC is) , it is still within the tolerance of those components. Once it levels out (and it certainly will unless you have a faulty shocks - what are the chances that all four are!) the angle will go back to near stock.

Good luck, and would be interested to know how much the ride levels down after a week or two of driving. I am trying to dig some old photos of the lift right after installation and the current setup to compare, but seem to have messed up some of my archives, will post once I find the right ones!
Unread 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Did you guys have any issues with noise in the rear after your RC lifts? I got a pretty prominent clunk from the right rear over bumps, I assume its either the spacer is loose or the shock is not bolted tight.

Did anyone add washers to the shocks on the back to space them better?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.