JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   2" RC lift question/problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/2-rc-lift-question-problem-1527312/)

EtherealPonx 05-23-2013 01:08 PM

2" RC lift question/problem
 
Hello All,

A friend just finished lifting my '09 5.7 GC using a 2" RC BB. Bilstein HD shocks all round. He had some 'concerns' about the angle of some of the joints:

1) In the following pics, he has explained that the CV joint is at an 'extreme' angle. He also points out here that the sway link bushings seem like they will not handle this new hight. If so what do you guys recommend in length for a 2" lift kit for sway links?
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d21ae91.jpg
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps91aae64d.jpg

2) In this pic, he explained that the 'cup' that holds the spring is touching on either side, is this normal?
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps626cbca7.jpg

He also claims the angle on the UCA joint is a bit extreme and that a bit of wheeling will cause issues. any advice?

These are just concerns at this stage, it has not been driven yet - will go for a test drive on Saturday.

Much appreciated!

trax95008 05-23-2013 01:23 PM

Of corse everything is at an extreme angle. You have the vehicle jacked up with everything else hanging. Once you throw the wheels on and drop it down, it will level out some. As for the lower spring perch, that does NOT look normal. I've had 4 different configurations of lift and NEVER had an issue with it touching like that

EtherealPonx 05-23-2013 01:46 PM

Even with the vehicle lowered to the ground back on the wheels, the angles dont appear much less extreme.

As for the lower spring perch, this is concerning. Nothing has changed on the truck except for the shocks

(http://www.quadratec.com/products/16070_108.htm)

and the lift kit (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wk_2.html)

What could be the cause of this?

ca07wk 05-23-2013 02:43 PM

For the sway bar links, you can remove the sway bar completely or pick up some JKS adjustable links.

You've installed a 2" lift without moving anything else, the CV axles and UCA's are going to be angled more. The angles aren't beyond what they should be with that lift. You can order a set of UCA for a lifted WK, but the CV angles your stuck with.

EtherealPonx 05-23-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks, I will look into the the UCA's. I know from memory that they are not cheap to replace.

I also believe the shocks are not compressing properly when lowered from the lift. someone on another forum had a similar issue where he was getting 4.5 inch lift out of the same setup. Apparently the shocks need to be compressed several times before fitting (I dont think this was done).

I did think the lift was more than what I would have expected from a 2" and bilsteins. apparently the other guy simply just lifted it and dropped it several times until the shocks started to compress, is this usual?

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1343f00c.jpg

EtherealPonx 05-25-2013 01:18 PM

Ok, the issue seemed to contain an element of miscommunication, the 'touching' of the suspension perch to the knuckle ONLY occurs when the vehicle is lifted off the ground, so under normal driving conditions, this does not happen. Therefore, only under extreme off-road driving would this occur and I doubt it would be a significant issue.

Wheel alignment complete, car should be ready by tomorrow :2thumbsup:

EtherealPonx 05-28-2013 05:56 AM

Caster on the wheel alignment seems to be a bit off, does anyone have the tolerance levels for a WK wheel alignment?

I know the Camber can be adjusted using the LCA bolts, but more than certain caster cannot be changed easily ..

Apart from that, the front shocks seemed to have 'leveled' off the the car has dropped by nearly an inch since install:confused:

R4TCHET 05-28-2013 01:31 PM

one thing you will notice, is that the front is significantly higher than the rear with the RC lift. i would almost say there is about a 1' difference between the two. 2.5 in front, 1.5 in rear.

a bit of wheeling wont cause problems. i wheel like 2-3 times per week on some pretty intense trails and the lift hasnt caused problems. so long as you dont drive super fast off road you will be fine, but that is the case with most off road vehicles.

EtherealPonx 05-31-2013 02:04 PM

Thanks Ratchet, that makes sense. Dont doubt the durability of the RC kit, as it definitely looks more rugged over the poly stuff. quick question, did you change the sway bar links to return the front sway bar back to the original stock setting?

Separate question about your shocks, are you using stock springs with the OME shocks? if that is the case, can OME springs be used with Bilstein shocks?

Like the sliders btw, will contact them to see if they ship internationally ..

EtherealPonx 06-05-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca07wk (Post 15471931)
For the sway bar links, you can remove the sway bar completely or pick up some JKS adjustable links.

You've installed a 2" lift without moving anything else, the CV axles and UCA's are going to be angled more. The angles aren't beyond what they should be with that lift. You can order a set of UCA for a lifted WK, but the CV angles your stuck with.

Hey ca07WK

any advice on the length of Sway links that will put the way bar back to stock location with a 2" RC lift kit?

Thanks!

ca07wk 06-05-2013 12:30 PM

For the front they should be the stock length, for the rear I've heard 1"-2" longer. I have to retract my previous post, I wouldn't recommend the JKS links for the front, myself and a few others had the bottom pin snap off. I replace my broken bottom pin and snap ring and moved them to the back at 1" longer and just have the front sway bar disconnected.

EtherealPonx 06-05-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca07wk (Post 15523216)
For the front they should be the stock length, for the rear I've heard 1"-2" longer. I have to retract my previous post, I wouldn't recommend the JKS links for the front, myself and a few others had the bottom pin snap off. I replace my broken bottom pin and snap ring and moved them to the back at 1" longer and just have the front sway bar disconnected.

Thanks for that. I just ordered all stock length ones from BWoody, I spoke to their lead Jeep mechanic and he said for a 2" lift kit the links dont need to be any longer than stock. I would expect the links need extending when going to 3" and above in lift.

Besides, the cornering on the truck is now much better since I installed the lift and Bilstein HD shocks all round :D

BTW, I wouldn't drive on-road with a disconnected front sway bar. I would expect some serrious body rolling effect and instability while cornering on a highway. Isn't it technically illegal in many states too? just my 2c worth :)

ca07wk 06-05-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealPonx (Post 15523685)
Thanks for that. I just ordered all stock length ones from BWoody, I spoke to their lead Jeep mechanic and he said for a 2" lift kit the links dont need to be any longer than stock. I would expect the links need extending when going to 3" and above in lift.

Besides, the cornering on the truck is now much better since I installed the lift and Bilstein HD shocks all round :D

BTW, I wouldn't drive on-road with a disconnected front sway bar. I would expect some serrious body rolling effect and instability while cornering on a highway. Isn't it technically illegal in many states too? just my 2c worth :)

The body roll isnt to bad with the front disconnected, the rear would be bad though. As soon as I get more time I need to drill and extract the rest of the broken JKS pin out of the front LCA, then I will reconnect the front sway bar.

EtherealPonx 06-14-2013 03:04 PM

Just got a set of BWoody sway links, they will go in on Sunday :)

4thgradedropout 06-15-2013 01:58 PM

Your rc looks so much higher then my daystar, wish i would of done that


The time now is 03:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.