Which ~2-inch WK lift for daily driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Which ~2-inch WK lift for daily driver

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
marcram
2008 WK 

Which ~2-inch WK lift for daily driver

Hello all,

I have a 2008 WK diesel with QDII and AEV Pintler rims. Bilsteins on the rear only.

I currently have some street 255 60 17s, but am considering 255 70 17 Cooper AT3s as my next tire. These should fit fine without a lift and with the offset from the pintlers. I'm also considering a budget lift, but don't want it to be too high, but noticible. I also use as a daily driver, so want to maintain nice handling on the street. Can anyone please comment on the pros and cons of the following? In particular, are any of these higher or lower than the other? Thanks.

Rough Country: Like all metal construction, some consider a worse company in terms of customer service, and assume cheap steel, etc. Cheapest. Have seen some say that front ends up being too high, but I could keep stock front struts and I already have Bilsteins in the back.

BDS: About $100 more than Rough country. Some preload on front, so ride should be different than stock (I assume). Reputable. Seems lower than RC lifts from pictures.

Rocky Road: Maybe a little higher than I want. Claim that their outer strut spacer will maintain factory ride.

Daystar: Reputable name. Poly instead of steel. Some claim this is an advantage, others not. This one looks shorter than RC.

I've been getting quotes in the Houston area. Labor seems about $400 for 4 hours. Kits between $150 - $250. Bilstein struts for the front are about $200. I'd like to intall myself, but don't really want to mess with springs, etc.

marcram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
camber
2006 WK 

That labor seems REALLY high. The installation of the Rough Country lift is fairly easy to do yourself ... however if you are looking to have someone else do it, try going to a place like Pep Boys. They will put them on for about $150. If it was a full suspension system then I wouldn't want Pep Boys doing it, but simply putting spacers in is more than easy enough for them to do.

As for the lift itself - I can only speak on the Rough Country lift but I have had no issues whatsoever. The front does ride a little higher than the back. I'd say it's more like 1.5" lift in the back and 2.5" lift in the front. Here is my ride on 265/70/17 BFG TA KOs. You can see how the front sits higher...

camber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

i went daystar when i got my BB... rides nice and it was relatively cheap- i ran bilstein HDs front and rear as well. i ran 255s on rubi rims in the beginning... now i still have the lift after 60k and it still sets where it was when i got it. but i swapped out the rubis for some 18" sahara rims.
blacked.jpg

image.jpg

Unread 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
toycam

I went with daystar and it gets the job done. The ride is a bit worse than stock, but not unbearable (IMO, anyway). I plan on getting the OME HD for a better ride when I get the funds and my wife signs off on it :P
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Flyboys
2006 WK 

Another is Bilstein 5100's front adjustable shocks, set to 2" setting. Then do a 2" rear spacer lift. Thats how mine is, and I LOVE the ride. I also have new Bilstein 5100's in rear. Not as much lift as the OME HD but enough to notice. I am using my 06' WK as a daily driver and driven it 3000 miles in last 3-4 weeks. 800 with the lift. So far so good!
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 /Bilstein 5100 2" front / Bilstein 5100 rear with 2" RC spacer / 18" Jeep 70th Aniv. 7 spoke wheels 255/70/18 / SC Flashpaq 91octane tune/ Bwoody Sway bar endlinks F&R/ Pioneer Radio with Bluetooth HF Polk speakers/
2009 Yukon Denali XL
Flyboys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just did the Bilstein's and adjusted them to 2" and added 1/2" spacers in front and 2" in back. Sits perfectly and rides like a dream. I am running 265/70/17's Revo 2's. I will post pics tomorrow. I had Code 4x4 in Rifle, Co install. Great attention to detail and a great person to deal with.
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Kolak
Vendor

To the OP: Were you wanting to replace the front struts? If so, the Bilistein 5100 adjustables would be the way to go with a 2" rear spacer.

If not, the Daystar kit is very nice - made in the USA and has been problem-free.

PM me if I can assist -
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
marcram
2008 WK 

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware of the adjustable front struts. I'll have to check those out.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
marcram
2008 WK 

Are the 5100 struts specific to the wk? Also, which rear spacer are you guys using? Is that extra 1/2 inch spacer in the front necessary?

Thanks!
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

The Bilsteins are specific part numbers for the WK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcram View Post
Are the 5100 struts specific to the wk? Also, which rear spacer are you guys using? Is that extra 1/2 inch spacer in the front necessary?

Thanks!
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
marcram
2008 WK 

Sweet, so saw the BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series "Ride Height Adjustable" Strut for 05-10 Jeep® Grand Cherokee WK & Commander XK.

What can I expect a shop to charge for strut install?

Is it a problem that I have the rear bilstein HDs? Would rear rough country spacer be sufficient? Any other recommended? This is sounding like a more attractive option.
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
marcram
2008 WK 

Does rough country sell just the rear spacer? I see Rustys sells their spacers independently

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ear-wk-xk.html
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
marcram
2008 WK 

I found the thread on these struts.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...strut-1530603/

Since I have a slight rear lift with the bilstein hds, would I be level with the front 5100s set at 1.5 inches? Would the 2 inch setting without rear spacers look ridiculous? These may eliminate my need for a lift kit at all.

Anyone have more pick with these front struts installed? Preferably without any more front lift.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Kolak
Vendor

I think the .75" setting would be most appropriate to go with your rear Bilstein HDs.

Quote:
I found the thread on these struts.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...strut-1530603/

Since I have a slight rear lift with the bilstein hds, would I be level with the front 5100s set at 1.5 inches? Would the 2 inch setting without rear spacers look ridiculous? These may eliminate my need for a lift kit at all.

Anyone have more pick with these front struts installed? Preferably without any more front lift.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Kolak
Vendor

Rusty's is the only company I could find too that sells the rear ones on their own.

Quote:
Does rough country sell just the rear spacer? I see Rustys sells their spacers independently

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ear-wk-xk.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.