Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2 codes and no power in my CRD

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  caddydaddy 
#1 ·
2008 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD

The Jeep was running great on Friday all day and night. I left it overnight to pick it up on Saturday. I noticed in the right hand corner a red lightning bolt that was flashing. The Jeep had no real power. it would rev to 4500 RPM but didn't seem to be making boost. When I got it home I tried to drive it again. This time no red lightning boolt, but it would only go a little bit then cut out right as it was supposed to be making boost. Very weird. I had it towed to the dealer as I don't know anything about diesels. I did make sure the intercooler pipes were still connected and they were. Other than that I have no idea what was wrong with it.

Codes I pulled were P0299 and P04xx. The one code had to deal with Low boost, and the other code was for EGR.

So what am I looking at with this problem?

#6 ·
Yes, but from what I've heard a dealer will want to replace the whole turbo assembly for a few thousand dollars! :surprise:

The actuator can be found new or rebuilt. The company that mine came from XSBoost is currently out of stock on them. I'm not sure where else to source one.

#8 ·
So my intake resonator delete has failed. The silicone couplings will not hold any kind of boost now. The tech tried to tighten down the clamps only to have it blow off again. I was forced to give them my factory resonator to put back on. Also it appears my front diff bushing has failed and that needs to be replaced. Getting that done as well.

I wish I would have knows about the resonator delete blowing off. Regardless I need the car fixed ASAP, so I was in a pinch.

#9 ·
I'm guessing it's the CBE delete pipe? Mine blew off when I was on the highway and made a loud "pop"! I have a boost gauge on my CRD, so I knew what it was immediately. The 0 PSI of boost and loud pop gave it away, haha!

I tried what your dealer did, and put the hose back on and tightened it down, but it loosened itself off again.
What I did was buy an aftermarket piece of intercooler hose that was longer, and used 2 T-bolt clamps on the outlet side of the hose.

Here, you can see it's a few inches longer than the CBE hose:

This is what I dealt with. The hose clamp kept sliding and then the hose would pop off. No issues with the new hose and 2 clamps.

#10 ·
It was not a CBE delete pipe. This was a kit I made myself. I bought the aluminum pipe and silicone couplers on eBay.

Supposedly there is so much oil on the intake side that it was degraded and too slick to stay together. The t bolt clamps were also from eBay. They may not have been the best quality.

So in the end I am having the dealer out the stock resonator on for now. So I can get the Jeep back on the road. Being down 2 cars really sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.