2" BB help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 2" BB help

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

2" BB help

So I had a 2" RC BB installed last week, got my 255/75/17 wranglers on and notice that my front sits substantially higher then the back. While the offroad shop still had it in the air the guy did tell me my back shocks were maxed with the 2" boost, and also I just had new struts put on the front a few months before i bought the lift...wish i would have thought ahead...
Anyway, i just ordered some bilstein 5100s for the rear, will that allow the lift to even out?
Would very much appreciate the help thank you.
Also, yes i have 1.5" spacers on the way too.

Wk_dailydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

looks goofy to me
10686684_10155142759445618_7810310206898753282_n.jpg

Unread 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
BoraBora

2006 WK 

No. The shocks won't lift the rear. That only applies to the front because of the spring perch adjustment.

To level the rear out you want some Monroe Sensatracs part number 58643. They'll even out the rear. $80 for the pair on Amazon. Just add some washers to make the shocks fit snug(made for the F-150 but work with the wk).
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

So even tho these shocks are fully extended the bilsteins with more travel won't allow the lift to max?
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
BoraBora

2006 WK 

The shocks don't provide lift. The only reason the Monroe Sensatracs lift is because they are essentially a coilover designed to even out the rear under load.
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

I know they don't lift, I think your confused as to what I'm saying. I have stock shocks in back. When I put the 2" BB on my back shocks are now FULLY extended and have no more travel left. The offroad guy at the shop said its not allowing the full 2" of lift because the shock won't extend anymore. Essentially its holding my vehicle down. So the bilsteins have so much more travel thus allowing my lift to fully extend them, not have the bilsteins physically lift it more. Just more travel thus my jeep will raise the full 2"
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

So, this is a pretty common concern. The front fenderwell is cut higher since @ stock height these vehicles sit nose down. That lift levels the front to the back, which leaves you with more of a fenderwell gap in the front than in the rear.

You can run f150 Monroe "load levellers" (MLL's) as suggested earlier in this thread. Some complain of a more stiff ride in the rear, and noises after the rubber breaks down between the shock body and the additional spring on the shock. I did not like this solution, and I don't tow with this vehicle so there would be no upside for me.

You can stack a few extra spring isolators in the rear for an extra inch. This is what I have done in the rear of my XK. Ride is not noticeably effected, and no noise. They are only $5 on rockauto a piece. I am running 2 extra on each side on top of the factory spring isolators. ~$25 shipped to my door

Hope this helps.

Longer rear shocks are certainly encouraged with this lift and bilstein 5100's are one of the best choices.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk_dailydaddy View Post
I know they don't lift, I think your confused as to what I'm saying. I have stock shocks in back. When I put the 2" BB on my back shocks are now FULLY extended and have no more travel left. The offroad guy at the shop said its not allowing the full 2" of lift because the shock won't extend anymore. Essentially its holding my vehicle down. So the bilsteins have so much more travel thus allowing my lift to fully extend them, not have the bilsteins physically lift it more. Just more travel thus my jeep will raise the full 2"
If you are maxing the stock shocks out, and that is limiting your ride height, then yes longer shocks would allow it to sit higher in the rear.

If you unbolt the rear shocks and it sits higher than it did before then yes you would increase ride height with longer shocks of course.

A little more tire would make the difference in fender gap not quite as obvious as well.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Ah okay. Well, the RC bb is a leveling lift. A 'level' wk always has the front sitting higher than the rear by .75" due to the way the wheel wells are cut. Take a look at some pictures of RC lifts installed around this forum. The front puck is 2.25" and the rear is 1.75" (I measured mine when I had it, although never installed it).

If you can deal with the look, then you can go ahead and order some longer shocks (Bilstein, OME, Superlift...etc).

If you want the rear to boost up a little bit and get some longer travel shocks, then the Sensatracs.

The lift height is not limited from the stock shocks. The RC is designed to work with stock shocks on normal roads. Off-road the RC and stock shocks will limit the travel though, yes.
Unread 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

Thank you lucky. Very well said
Unread 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

And thank you bora, I'm glad we finally worked that out. So if the shocks are truly holding it down the bilsteins will essentially lift it and if not there still awesome to have, however the monroes will lift it but be a bit stiffer and not as good offroad as far as travel goes
Unread 02-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk_dailydaddy View Post
And thank you bora, I'm glad we finally worked that out. So if the shocks are truly holding it down the bilsteins will essentially lift it and if not there still awesome to have, however the monroes will lift it but be a bit stiffer and not as good offroad as far as travel goes
If you went with the monroes that were suggested then travel would not be limited, as those ones are extended length designed for an F150.

That being said, you'll love the bilsteins. I love mine.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

Bilsteins it is then regardless. When I got my front struts replaced it honestly lifted my jeep almost an inch just cuz they were so shot. I'm thinking my back ones are the same because I just measured and its 3.5" lower in back. So even if with the bilsteins the back is still .75" shorter o well, it won't look as drastic as now and I'll be good for my hunting land and pulling my buck out next year
Unread 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Wk_dailydaddy
2007 WK 

Thanks again for all the help guys. I appreciate it a lot.
Unread 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
wakebum2507
2005 WK 

I have MLL's in the back of mine, and it changed the look and demeanor completely (for the better).

it may ride a little stiffer, but it's not thaaat noticeable.

I do tow with mine, probably 6000+ LBS (full weight turbo race car, and trailer) and it tows great with the shocks, and hardly sags.
wakebum2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.