post #1 of Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Bogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Franklin Square ,NY
Posts: 92
18" Tire Size Options fo 05 WK

Picked up a set of 2010 Wrangler Sahara 18" takeoff's With sensors and one tire (brand new spare 255/75R18) which I think is to big for my stock WK (have yet to try) Looked up stock 08 Overland 18" size 245/60R18 but tire choice seams limited.

So any one running 18"'s on a stock WK ( I don't want spacers or a lift) Could use some input on tire options.
And will the TPMS sensors work.


05 WK 5.7 Limited Stone White Dead Stock
84 Dodge W350 Crew Cab 9'+ Lift 37" SSR's
66 Dodge Dart 273 4-Speed Radio/Heat Delete
Previous Jeeps - 78 SJ,91 YJ,94 ZJ,98 XJ,06 LJ Rubi
Bogie is offline  
post #2 of Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Atrain1066
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Richmond
Posts: 44
TPMS sensors should work just fine - I'm running 18" JK Sahara take off wheels as well. My tires are Nitto Terra Grappler, 285 60R 18, and with my completely stock suspension, they rub a bit. It's not so bad that you can't do a U-turn or anything like that, but at full lock you're into the tire for sure. I think the pinch weld mod would yield good results, but honestly it's not bad enough for me to get under there and do it. My rubbing is caused by the width of the tire (just over 11 inches), not the overall height.

I've had two WK owners and a shop mechanic ask me what lift i'm running and when I tell them I'm not lifted at all, they look at me like I'm crazy. 285 60R 18 comes out to 31 1/2", about 2" larger than the stock tires you mentioned. While they're not giant tires, I really like the width of them, they give the front and back of the Jeep a great look. I can only speak from my experience, I don't believe your 255 75R 18 will fit. If i'm correct, I believe thats like, a 33" tire, and to clear that you would definitely need more clearance, and spacers. If you wanted to do the pinch weld mod, perhaps you could run something like a 32" tire with a moderate width? Hopefully some other guys will chime in here and you can get a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Oh, and great wheel choice!

2005 Dark Khaki
5.7L HEMI
QDII
285/60R/18 Nitto Terra Grappler
Atrain1066 is offline  
post #3 of Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Bogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Franklin Square ,NY
Posts: 92
Some quick sizes
2005 WK 235/65R17 = 29" x 9.4"
2008 Overland 245/60R18 = 29.6" x 10"

Have read about guys using 255/55R18 = 29" x 10.4"
2010 Sahara 255/70R18 = 32.1" x 10.2"
Seams that overall height is a concern for fitment in the spare location with the factory tow hitch (of which I don't have)

05 WK 5.7 Limited Stone White Dead Stock
84 Dodge W350 Crew Cab 9'+ Lift 37" SSR's
66 Dodge Dart 273 4-Speed Radio/Heat Delete
Previous Jeeps - 78 SJ,91 YJ,94 ZJ,98 XJ,06 LJ Rubi
Bogie is offline  
post #4 of Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Radcrd
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 371
Running 275/55/18 = 30''diameter on SRT suspension (slightly lower than stock) No rubbing. Will go a bit bigger next time to around 30.5'' with a 265/60/18

2007 WK CRD QDII, GDE HOT tune. 275/55/18'' on Sahara's, SRT8 suspension.
2000 Jetta TDI (hers)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline  
post #5 of Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM
JRLT
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mitchell
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain1066 View Post
My tires are Nitto Terra Grappler, 285 60R 18, and with my completely stock suspension, they rub a bit.
That's good to know cause I want to go from the 255/55 to the 255/60. Was just playing it safe with the 55's but I'm running aftermarket wheels too so the offset might come into play.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now  
post #6 of Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain1066 View Post
TPMS sensors should work just fine - I'm running 18" JK Sahara take off wheels as well. My tires are Nitto Terra Grappler, 285 60R 18, and with my completely stock suspension, they rub a bit. It's not so bad that you can't do a U-turn or anything like that, but at full lock you're into the tire for sure. I think the pinch weld mod would yield good results, but honestly it's not bad enough for me to get under there and do it. My rubbing is caused by the width of the tire (just over 11 inches), not the overall height.

I've had two WK owners and a shop mechanic ask me what lift i'm running and when I tell them I'm not lifted at all, they look at me like I'm crazy. 285 60R 18 comes out to 31 1/2", about 2" larger than the stock tires you mentioned. While they're not giant tires, I really like the width of them, they give the front and back of the Jeep a great look. I can only speak from my experience, I don't believe your 255 75R 18 will fit. If i'm correct, I believe thats like, a 33" tire, and to clear that you would definitely need more clearance, and spacers. If you wanted to do the pinch weld mod, perhaps you could run something like a 32" tire with a moderate width? Hopefully some other guys will chime in here and you can get a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Oh, and great wheel choice!
pics?

to the OP, im running stock JK Sahara rims and tires on my WK with a 2" BB. i cant decide if i want to step up to a 275 or what when i redo my suspenion or stick with the 255s that came stock. i know theres someone running them on a stock WK on here

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is online now  
post #7 of Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Bigdlensch
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wapakoneta
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post

pics?

to the OP, im running stock JK Sahara rims and tires on my WK with a 2" BB. i cant decide if i want to step up to a 275 or what when i redo my suspenion or stick with the 255s that came stock. i know theres someone running them on a stock WK on here
I'm running jk takeoffs on stock suspension 255/70/18. No rub and I think they look great until I get an ome or super lift


Super slowmo build, 2006 grand cherokee limited 4.7, flowmaster 40, k&n cai, superchips, shorty antennae, 08 Jk Sahara takeoffs w/stock duelers
Red wk club
Ohio jeep
Bigdlensch is offline  
post #8 of Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
R4TCHET
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boulder
Posts: 490
I have jk Sahara wheels with 275 65 18 duratracs and1.25" spacers. I get no rub up front with the pinch weld done and a little rub in back with the fender piece rolled up when it is fully stuffed, I bet 1" spacers would work better for the back

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum

| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline  
post #9 of Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 AM
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,673
pics?

see im wondering what size to run if i go with an OME lift- being that the front do not rub with 1.25" spacers and the rear wouldnt rub as much with 1" spacers is a good thing cause i dont want to mess with the rear fender

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is online now  
post #10 of Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
R4TCHET
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boulder
Posts: 490
275 65 17. The lip of the fender is rolled in the back

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
Attached Images
 

| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline  
post #11 of Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM
phottomatt
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Havertown
Posts: 333
I'm gonna try not to hijack here but to those guys running the JK take-offs, did you to use superchip or something to reprogram or don't you care? Also I have Sahara take-offs from my Sahara and I want to keep the same height but go wider and I am trying to figure out how wide I can go with the tire, 265/60 18? will not change my speedo.

2010 Flame Red Sahara, Rough Country stubby bumper/winch, Body Armor rock sliders, stiff spring mod and RC 2.5" series II spacer lift (~3.5" total lift), 33X12.5 Duratracs on 15" MB72s.
2007 Grand Cherokee Limited, Red Rock, 5.7L HEMI
phottomatt is offline  
post #12 of Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Bigdlensch
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wapakoneta
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by phottomatt
I'm gonna try not to hijack here but to those guys running the JK take-offs, did you to use superchip or something to reprogram or don't you care? Also I have Sahara take-offs from my Sahara and I want to keep the same height but go wider and I am trying to figure out how wide I can go with the tire, 265/60 18? will not change my speedo.
I've got a superchips, as far as size my 255/70/18 just fit as far as width and "the bolt". After I get my lift I plan on adding spacers and pinch weld mod and extend bump stops then throw on 285/65.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Super slowmo build, 2006 grand cherokee limited 4.7, flowmaster 40, k&n cai, superchips, shorty antennae, 08 Jk Sahara takeoffs w/stock duelers
Red wk club
Ohio jeep
Bigdlensch is offline  
post #13 of Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Radcrd
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by phottomatt View Post
I'm gonna try not to hijack here but to those guys running the JK take-offs, did you to use superchip or something to reprogram or don't you care? Also I have Sahara take-offs from my Sahara and I want to keep the same height but go wider and I am trying to figure out how wide I can go with the tire, 265/60 18? will not change my speedo.
A 265/60/18 (30.5'' dia) should put your speedo pretty much dead accurate. With the stock 245/65/17 (29.5'' dia) mine was off by 8% now with the 275/55/18 (30'' dia) I'm still off by around 4%.

2007 WK CRD QDII, GDE HOT tune. 275/55/18'' on Sahara's, SRT8 suspension.
2000 Jetta TDI (hers)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline  
post #14 of Old 09-07-2013, 03:14 PM
phottomatt
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Havertown
Posts: 333
Hey thanks, the 265/60 looks perfect, lots of options, it's at the high end of the range for the 7.5" wheel but it should work nice. Any chance it will rub at full steer?

2010 Flame Red Sahara, Rough Country stubby bumper/winch, Body Armor rock sliders, stiff spring mod and RC 2.5" series II spacer lift (~3.5" total lift), 33X12.5 Duratracs on 15" MB72s.
2007 Grand Cherokee Limited, Red Rock, 5.7L HEMI
phottomatt is offline  
post #15 of Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Radcrd
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 371
I think it will depend on how aggressive the tread is. With my 275/55/18 their is no rubbing and still plenty of space before it would rub. I wish I would have went with the 265/60/18. Worst case you may have to do the 'Pinch Weld' mod. No worries for the 7.5'' width. I'm running my 275 wides on 7.5'' wide Sahara's. You will be fine with a 265.

2007 WK CRD QDII, GDE HOT tune. 275/55/18'' on Sahara's, SRT8 suspension.
2000 Jetta TDI (hers)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome