18 rims - final opinion on tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 18 rims - final opinion on tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
ID_Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: KRK, Poland
Posts: 8
18 rims - final opinion on tires

Hello!

I have 2007 Commander Overland on OEM 18'' rims. No lift, no mods. I have to buy new AT tires, but there is very little choice for stock XK/XH.
The size that allows any decent choice (Yokohama, Toyo) is 265/60/18. So here is the question: Will they fit with absolutely no rubbing?
I don't mind spacers, but can not do any lift or mods right now.

There are many mixed opinion some say nothing more than 255 can fit, but I have found some posts where people put 265/65/17 on stock WK/XK. Where is the true?

ID_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
luckyse7ens
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: concord, ca
Posts: 731
Quote:
Tire sizes on the Jeep Commander are limited due to rubbing on the upper control arm ball joint bolt and the rear portion of the plastic fender well. Depending on the size tire, wheel spacers may be needed to clear the ball joint bolt. Depending on the height of the tire, the rear portion of the fender well plastic might need trimming and bending over the pinch weld might be required.


Stock Jeep Commanders or Commanders using the 1/4" leveling spacer can fit the following tire sizes WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17 BFGoodrich All Terrians (might have minor rubbing)
255/65R17
This is commander specific
New Here? Read this Thread for FAQ's on Tires, Lifts and Spacers!

Some of the problem is that it depends on the tire. Some tires due to more aggressive tread patterns are actually a bit larger than others. With a wider tread like a 265 you will likely be very close to "the bolt," but should just clear it without spacers.


What do you have on there now?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r18-265-60r18
__________________
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
caulk04
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 955
If you're dead set on not modifying anything, don't go over 255/60-18. That's what I have in Hankook Dynapro ATM. Good tires so far, I just wish I could have gotten white letters like I really want.

These tires are fresh still, but unless I really want the same thing next time I'm going to go to a 265/60-18 to get a Cooper tire with white letters.
__________________
Tint, Superchips, SRT intake tube, Gibson catback, catch can. One hardcore DD/kid hauler...yeah.
caulk04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
ID_Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: KRK, Poland
Posts: 8
I just bought the jeep. It is now fitted with some kind of 100% road oriented Kumho 245/60/18 tires.
I was thinking about 255/60/18 but there aren't really much availability of AT tires that size here in Europe. Only General Grabber AT2, but as I go 85% pavement/highway, and they are known to be very bad on wet I would like some other tire. I had Geolandards AT-S on my last vehicle, and they were great on-road and quite impressive offroad. But for 18 rims smallest are 225/55R18 and next 265/60R18...
Probably next year I will get OME HD lift and set of MT tires, but for now I would like some bigger than stock AT's.
I believe there are at least 80% chances 265/60 + 1" spacers will clear the bolt? Are there any other places when they might rub? With this configuration will tire sit out beyond fenders?
ID_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: concord, ca
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID_Man View Post
I just bought the jeep. It is now fitted with some kind of 100% road oriented Kumho 245/60/18 tires.
I was thinking about 255/60/18 but there aren't really much availability of AT tires that size here in Europe. Only General Grabber AT2, but as I go 85% pavement/highway, and they are known to be very bad on wet I would like some other tire. I had Geolandards AT-S on my last vehicle, and they were great on-road and quite impressive offroad. But for 18 rims smallest are 225/55R18 and next 265/60R18...
Probably next year I will get OME HD lift and set of MT tires, but for now I would like some bigger than stock AT's.
I believe there are at least 80% chances 265/60 + 1" spacers will clear the bolt? Are there any other places when they might rub? With this configuration will tire sit out beyond fenders?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r18-265-60r18



The difference in diameter is ~1" (20mm) so as long as you have more than 10mm clearance between your current tire and the bolt you will be fine.


Its only a ~30" tall tire so height will not cause issues as well. (For example with the pinch weld)

If width is a problem, a little trimming on the Bolt is a possible solution. Alternatively you could purchase wheel spacers. Many have had success with .25" spacers, but I wouldn't trust them as they are really not available as Hubcentric. You would definitely want to get quality hubcentric spacers like Spidertrax.
__________________
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
luckyse7ens
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: concord, ca
Posts: 731
If a lift is in your future I would seriously consider a slightly taller tire actually

Per Our FAQ http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...-wk-xk-703598/
Quote:
Q: What is the biggest tire you can fit without a lift?

A: Without any trimming or bolt cutting, 255/65/17, but you may have some rubbing at full lock(steering wheel turned all the way in one direction) with some tires depending on tread depth and design. The largest 18" tire you can add on the stock 18" rim without a lift is a 265/65-18.. The more aggressive looking the tread, the less clearance you will have. If you are unsure whether a tire will fit, go to a local tire chain(Big-O, Les Schwab, America's/Discount Tire Co, etc) and have them test fit that tire on both front wheels. You can then check the bolt for the Upper Control Arm(UCA), just above and to the inboard side of the front tire. Turn the steering wheel to full lock in each direction and check for the tire rubbing against the wheel well on the edges of the tire.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r18-265-65r18

Many commander owners running 245/75r17's which are 31.5" tall tires on stock suspension with minimal or no rubbing

This is a cheap option if its very close:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...tes-xk-wk.html

__________________
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
ID_Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: KRK, Poland
Posts: 8
Thank you very much for all help. As soon as I get the tires I will share info gathered in the process. Maybe it will help more people in the future.
ID_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
LouC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,382
Grabber AT2 not bad on wet at all. We have them on both Jeeps, they are one of the best at tires you can buy esp for the price.
wk-245-70-17s.jpg

__________________
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,978
I'm running JK 18s with 32s, I think they're 255/70-18 or whatever the stock sahara size is. I'm stock height for the most part. You could prob pick up a brand new set of Bridgestone dueler ATs off a new Jk for less than $500 for all 5
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
oldsmoke
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 291
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
I'm running JK 18s with 32s, I think they're 255/70-18 or whatever the stock sahara size is. I'm stock height for the most part. You could prob pick up a brand new set of Bridgestone dueler ATs off a new Jk for less than $500 for all 5
Yah, that's what I'm running to. I have a slight rub on the frame and anti-sway bar at full lock but after 25,000Kms. it has not caused any trouble. I don't seem to drive in tight situations that much so it is not an issue. If you can't bear any rub whatsoever maybe a 1/4" spacer would get you enough clearance. I tried the 1.5" spacer but then the tires rubbed the pinch weld.
__________________
Diesel Ecotune-DPF, 32" tires, 2" lift. 4xGuard bib, tow hooks
oldsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke
Yah, that's what I'm running to. I have a slight rub on the frame and anti-sway bar at full lock but after 25,000Kms. it has not caused any trouble. I don't seem to drive in tight situations that much so it is not an issue. If you can't bear any rub whatsoever maybe a 1/4" spacer would get you enough clearance. I tried the 1.5" spacer but then the tires rubbed the pinch weld.
Ive been running a 1/4" spacer since I bought the jeep just for insurance and clearance.. The 255s like the smaller spacers as opposed to the 1.5". I ran the RC 1.5" in the past and rubbed like you.. Lol sold them soon after
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
ID_Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: KRK, Poland
Posts: 8
Is 1/4" wheel spacer safe for daily driving use?
I have heard some bad stories about using spacers other than hub+wheel centric spidertrax (wheels falling off on highway etc.).
ID_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID_Man View Post
Is 1/4" wheel spacer safe for daily driving use?
I have heard some bad stories about using spacers other than hub+wheel centric spidertrax (wheels falling off on highway etc.).
a 1/4" spacer is just a slip on spacer- slip it on, throw your rim on and youre good to go. ive ran them for 3+ years, never had a problem, never felt unsafe. i mean youre using your factory studs, and youre able to get enough turns/cranks on a lug nut that youre confident your rims not going anywhere.

with a larger spacer youre using your factory studs, but youre boltingy our rims to a spacer with studs that are grade 8 or whatever, i just feel safer knowing its on the vehicle, not on something attached to the vehicle.

make sense? lol
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
ID_Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: KRK, Poland
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
a 1/4" spacer is just a slip on spacer- slip it on, throw your rim on and youre good to go. ive ran them for 3+ years, never had a problem, never felt unsafe. i mean youre using your factory studs, and youre able to get enough turns/cranks on a lug nut that youre confident your rims not going anywhere.

with a larger spacer youre using your factory studs, but youre boltingy our rims to a spacer with studs that are grade 8 or whatever, i just feel safer knowing its on the vehicle, not on something attached to the vehicle.

make sense? lol
OK. I will try out the 1/4 spacer with 265 geolandar and let you all know If it went ok.
ID_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
luckyse7ens
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: concord, ca
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID_Man View Post
OK. I will try out the 1/4 spacer with 265 geolandar and let you all know If it went ok.
Im curious how this went
__________________
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
overland

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.