12.5 Average MPG? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 12.5 Average MPG?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer
AA-Train, I think that's about the worst TB I've seen. Did you see any puddling in the plenum, or just the caked on crap? You can bet that your valves and piston tops look like that too. How many miles on yours? What's your fuel economy like? Last tune up at how many miles? If you have more than, say 60K on it, and maintenance is unknown or not current, you may want to also do the following, if they haven't already been done, expecially if your fuel economy is real bad:
--SeaFoam it. Many say this works great. I've never needed to do this, as I have a catch can and my intake is clean.
--New copper core spark plugs if they haven't been changed in a while. I use NGK LZTR4A-11, Stock No. 5306 on both my Hemi's.
--After SeaFoam (or other carbon remover/fuel injector cleaner) change the O2 Sensors. See this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...rimer-1182446/
--Change the MAP Sensor
--For sure install some sort of catch can.
--Install a new PCV Valve.
--Install a new EGR Valve.
--Drive it hard for a while. It helps blow and keep the carbon out.

A couple side notes:
--Years ago a buddy and I had taken his wife's Rustang, and coming back he hammered it. It promptly stalled and wouldn't start. Final diagnosis.....CARBON all came loose from the combustion chambers and stuck several valves open. Fix.....pull the heads, clean carbon from everything, and do a valve job while it's apart. Wife used to do nothing but putt around town, and do a lot of idling.
--A friend's mother had a 68 Chevy Caprice with a 409 engine and always used to putt it around town. After just a few months it would start to miss. I took it up on the Interstate and did a half dozen WOT runs with it. You should have seen the white hot carbon coming out the exhaust. Idle would improve, but new plugs were needed too. After that, she'd give it to me every few months to "fix the idle". Repeat procedure, sometimes with plugs, sometimes without.

DanV410, many of us use the Billet Technology catch can. It's a little spendy (~$100), but the quality is well worth it. There are others available for as little as $25-30, but generally, you get what you pay for. Like AA, if your mileage is still not up to par after you do your maintenance, you may also want to consider O2 Sensors. Cost of all 4 is ~$120. Installation on a stock exhaust, is a pain in the arse though....but doable.
This is what mine looked like at 75k it was gross

forumrunner_20120701_172952.jpg

2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Went on a trip to the lake today with my new superchips tune. (91 tune 93 octane fuel) According to the screen I averaged 19 mpg. I'm loving this tuner!!
Black WK Club Member #61
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #33
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllshadow
Went on a trip to the lake today with my new superchips tune. (91 tune 93 octane fuel) According to the screen I averaged 19 mpg. I'm loving this tuner!!
How much of a difference is that above you usual average? I'm waiting on my superchips from kolak I can't wait to get it
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #34
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

06WKHemi, your TB was pretty bad too. Most of the ones I've seen pix of had less than 50K on them, and hence weren't quite as bad. I don't think most folks change the PCV Valve often enough, if ever.

My experience with the Superchips tuner is that it doesn't get quite as good fuel economy as the Diablosport but, to me, the Trans. Tuning App is worth its weight in gold. That's the only reason I've been using it more lately. Soon I am going to remove the SC and reinstall the DS, so I can start tinkering with the limited trans. settings in it. Can't do it right now though, until I get done with the mileage testing for my aero mods.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #35
AA-Train
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer
AA-Train, I think that's about the worst TB I've seen. Did you see any puddling in the plenum, or just the caked on crap? You can bet that your valves and piston tops look like that too. How many miles on yours? What's your fuel economy like? Last tune up at how many miles? If you have more than, say 60K on it, and maintenance is unknown or not current, you may want to also do the following, if they haven't already been done, expecially if your fuel economy is real bad:
--SeaFoam it. Many say this works great. I've never needed to do this, as I have a catch can and my intake is clean.
--New copper core spark plugs if they haven't been changed in a while. I use NGK LZTR4A-11, Stock No. 5306 on both my Hemi's.
--After SeaFoam (or other carbon remover/fuel injector cleaner) change the O2 Sensors. See this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...rimer-1182446/
--Change the MAP Sensor
--For sure install some sort of catch can.
--Install a new PCV Valve.
--Install a new EGR Valve.
--Drive it hard for a while. It helps blow and keep the carbon out. I drive mine hard much of the time, but I keep all my maintenance current and do preventative maintenance on anything that is not quite up to snuff.

A couple side notes regarding carbon buildup:
--Years ago a buddy and I had taken his wife's Rustang somewhere, and coming back he hammered it. It promptly stalled and wouldn't start. Final diagnosis.....CARBON all came loose from the combustion chambers and stuck several valves open. Fix.....pull the heads, clean carbon from everything, and do a valve job while it's apart. Wife used to do nothing but putt around town, and do a lot of idling.
--A friend's mother had a 68 Chevy Caprice with a 409 engine and always used to putt it around town. After just a few months it would start to miss. I took it up on the Interstate and did a half dozen WOT runs with it. You should have seen the white hot carbon coming out the exhaust. Idle would improve, but new plugs were needed too. After that, she'd give it to me every few months to "fix the idle". Repeat procedure, sometimes with plugs, sometimes without.

DanV410, many of us use the Billet Technology catch can. It's a little spendy (~$100), but the quality is well worth it. There are others available for as little as $25-30, but generally, you get what you pay for. Like AA, if your mileage is still not up to par after you do your maintenance, you may also want to consider O2 Sensors. Cost of all 4 is ~$120. Installation on a stock exhaust, is a pain in the arse though....but doable.
I bought this WK used just over a year ago. I'm beginning to think the last owner(s) decided juist to trade in in lieu of reg. maint.

I assume there's almost no way the EGR & PCV are functioning properly w/all those leftovers in the intake/tb. I've been looking at doing plugs soon & welcome the recommendations.

Do you (or anyone else on here) have any suggestions as to which to do first(i.e. plugs or valves)?

Thanks for the seafoam & WOT suggestions as well. As I've said before on these forums I'm fairly new to Jeep & brand new to HEMI so I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Better to look new than to embarrass myself - or worse - spend too much $$.
Muffler Delete; Homemade Intake (w/ Spectre P4 & 4" Tubing)
AA-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
AA-Train
2006 WK 

Oh yeah & I am running full synthetic. Castrol EDGE Titanium. Idk. Seems good 2 me & I've been a hardcore Castrol fan for a while.
Muffler Delete; Homemade Intake (w/ Spectre P4 & 4" Tubing)
AA-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #37
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA-Train

I bought this WK used just over a year ago. I'm beginning to think the last owner(s) decided juist to trade in in lieu of reg. maint.

I assume there's almost no way the EGR & PCV are functioning properly w/all those leftovers in the intake/tb. I've been looking at doing plugs soon & welcome the recommendations.

Do you (or anyone else on here) have any suggestions as to which to do first(i.e. plugs or valves)?

Thanks for the seafoam & WOT suggestions as well. As I've said before on these forums I'm fairly new to Jeep & brand new to HEMI so I'll take all the suggestions I can get. Better to look new than to embarrass myself - or worse - spend too much $$.
For plugs the only way to go is with the champion copper core the hemis don't like anything else.
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #38
fourtrax450r
2007 WK 

whats the best tuner????
fourtrax450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #39
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtrax450r
whats the best tuner????
Depends on what motor you have
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Anyone able to post a couple links real fast?

-EGR write up
-Catch can install
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #41
NGreen
2008 WK 

Here's another one for you. Do you get gas at the same station all the time? If so, I've found some places have just crappy gas for some reason. Also, where I'm at, I can get marina gas (literally, gas from a marina) where it's just regular unleaded gas, no ethanol in it at all. When I fill up there, I will for sure get at least 2-3mpg better. So bottom line is, what do you put into it for gas?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #42
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGreen View Post
Here's another one for you. Do you get gas at the same station all the time? If so, I've found some places have just crappy gas for some reason. Also, where I'm at, I can get marina gas (literally, gas from a marina) where it's just regular unleaded gas, no ethanol in it at all. When I fill up there, I will for sure get at least 2-3mpg better. So bottom line is, what do you put into it for gas?
BP, or Sunoco. No cheap fuel, I never understood why people aren't willing to spend $1 more for good quality gas. Say 5 cents more x how ever many gallons.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
NGreen
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
BP, or Sunoco. No cheap fuel, I never understood why people aren't willing to spend $1 more for good quality gas. Say 5 cents more x how ever many gallons.
Agreed. The marina actually is a BP marina that sells ethanol free unleaded. Pretty much rocks. I pay around what I would pay for ethanol 93 for the ethanol-free 87. It's worth it in my opinion b/c the jeep runs just so much better without ethanol.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
tmidz87
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57
06' Hemi. Mostly back roads 35 mph speeds stop and go every so often. But I still think 12.5 is a very low number, i've hit the reset button but still it goes right back to the 11.5-13.0 mark.

Currently have a K&N full intake, tires at 33-35 psi, 89 octane BP fuel, A/C rarely used.

What are some of the major things i should be doing? I'm somewhat new to the Hemi so not 100% sure what the immediate things to look for are. I bought the truck around 10 months ago certified pre-owned.

forumrunner_20120703_140120.jpg

ALL opinions and suggestions are appreciated in advance
I'm getting 18 city 25 highway with the mileage booster on the Diablo tuner. 29 is the best I've ever scene on the highway.
tmidz87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
tmidz87
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmidz87

I'm getting 18 city 25 highway with the mileage booster on the Diablo tuner. 29 is the best I've ever scene on the highway.
I strongly recommend that tuner if you want to up your fuel economy it costs about 250 but it will pay for itself eventually
tmidz87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hemi , mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.