JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   10th Ann. Rubicon wheels and tires test fit (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/10th-ann-rubicon-wheels-tires-test-fit-1623945/)

zc911 09-25-2013 09:06 PM

10th Ann. Rubicon wheels and tires test fit

2 Attachment(s)
i picked up a brand new set of 10th ann. rubicon rims and BF Goodrich KM2s 265/70-17. I have an 07 CRD stock, no lift.
i was hoping i could wedge them on with minimal effort, but it doesnt look like it

First off, the caliper bracket does contact the rims ever so slightly. So i busted out the old angle grinder and ran it up and down the bracket a few times. That gave me about 2mm of clearence which is good enough for me.
the upper ball joint bolt was pretty close, so i zipped that off while i was at it.

All looked good until i turned the wheel and found the pinch weld mod is needed, bah.:thumbdown:
i dunno if i really want to cut and bash to fit these tires and rims on, i might sell em and get smaller tires, but it fills the wheel wells out so perfectly

sickchilly 09-25-2013 09:35 PM

I found the same things out last weekend. Was hoping I could pop them on before I got a lift. Nope. Why not get a small budget boost? All you need is maybe 1.5" in the front. Would level out the rig nicely too.

I wish I could've found the black 10th anniversary. Got a screaming deal on a set of 13 Rubi rims/tires with only 1400 miles on them (like yours, but dark gray).

zc911 09-25-2013 09:42 PM

i dunno if a lift will fix the issue, i still think it would need the pinch weld mod no?

I was acutally looking for a set of grey ones, but i got a great deal on these :D

sickchilly 09-25-2013 09:46 PM

Well if you were closer, I'd offer to swap! Lift should fix the issue. There are many on here running the 2" budget boost and clearing 255/75r17 (what we have) or 265/70r17 without pinch weld mods. It seems the 275/285 guys definitely have to do the pinch weld mod. Personally, I'm shooting for around 3" with the OME HD lift. If I have to do the PWM, so be it.

Either way, you're obviously handy with power tools having no reservations about zipping off the ball joint bolt or grinding your calipers. It's no more of stretch to whip out the BFH and whack those things down!

zc911 09-26-2013 05:10 AM

Glad I found the black ones I think they look great!

I think I'll do the pinch weld mod this weekend then. You are right doesn't seem like a huge deal. I am more worried about rust than anything else

paroxysym 09-26-2013 05:56 AM

get yourself a strut spacer from JBA or rustys and that will level the front with the rear, and if you have the funds get some bilstein HDs for a slight boost as well.

run a 1" spacer or at the very least a 1/4" spacer up front and you shouldnt hit the punch weld too bad. 1" would be ideal

zc911 09-26-2013 09:40 AM

called the local jeep shops and nobody has strut spacers or even a 2 inch lift in stock, boourns. i need to get these on soon as my stock tires are SHOT so i think i'll be doing some cutting.

zc911 09-27-2013 12:10 PM

bah i am going to sell em
if anyone local is interested let me know

AJeepZJ 09-29-2013 06:44 AM

Those wheels are hot man.. I've been trying to get my hands on those for a while now. I have a particular custom paint idea in mind for them, :D Wish you were in NC, I'd have definitely bought them off ya.

zc911 09-30-2013 09:27 AM

if you are going to repaint them, just get the regular rubicon wheels then, i've seen quite a few of those for sale.

I sold them in day, they are gone. Gonna go ST8 wheels instead

The time now is 02:33 AM.