10 bolt G2 8.25 Chrysler diff cover installed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 10 bolt G2 8.25 Chrysler diff cover installed!

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
modernblueWK

10 bolt G2 8.25 Chrysler diff cover installed!

I ordered a black G2 diff cover for my wk last week from amazon. Stock length MLL's are on their way also. In my last vehicle, 2002 dodge dakota I once punctured my rear diff cover on a rock so it has always been on my list to replace the one on my wk.

$131 shipped on amazon

It went on fine. The only hitch was you really need a 6mm allen key on a socket drive to get it tight. I used a t40 bit that was close. You will need an 8mm key for the drain/fill plugs.

Remove old thin cover:

Inspect gear oil. Mine was changed at 52,000 and at 71,000 still looked clearish new. Awesome

Scrape old rtv with a razorblade. Get it clean and dry.

Add new provided black rtv all around the flange and around each hole.

Install new cover with countersunk cap head screws. 44ftlb

Let the rtv dry for a few minutes then add 2 qts of 75w/140 full synthetic gear oil.

Done!

Note: i removed the cheeseball sticker from the center. Looks better bare.

Here are some more pics:

Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
modernblueWK

Looks pretty good under there! I will update if the track bar hits it or the dipstick.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 04-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

I really like this cover. Not having to remove the diff cover when changing oil is nice. Does it come with new bolts? Please let us know if there are any clearance issues!
Sneaky2Toes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

That looks good!! Nice job.
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
modernblueWK

Note: when i was throwing my 75w/140 bottles away i noticed that one of them still had about a half inch of oil in the bottom. I opened the dipstick hole and poured in the rest. The manual always said 2.18 qts. Capacity but ive never got that much to fit. Barely a whole 2 qts with the stock cover. So this cover spills out the fillhole at 1.85 qts or so. Pour the rest in the top. Easy.

It comes with cap screws (6mm hex key) aka allen. The only clearance issue i forsee is the track bar vs the "dipstick" the top red fitting. If it does hit it off road i will just throw a bolt in place of the dipstick.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Looks suspiciously like the Solid Axle Ind. cover but with more access - I like it. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.