09 WK 4WD Transmission Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

09 WK 4WD Transmission Problems

A little background on my jeep: there's a little over 50k miles on it. I rarely use 4wd. The problem that i'm having is that my transmission will jerk while accelerating or while it is given little to no gas at all. Also when i back out of my driveway the trans will slip if i have to slow down a bit. On too of that, when switched to drive, the trans will take a few seconds to actually engage to drive. Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

Forgot to mention that i recently changed the fluid in July.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ09WK View Post
Forgot to mention that i recently changed the fluid in July.
Welcome to the forum. you didn't mention which engine you have. There are two different transmissions used in these things. Your description sounds like either low fluid level and/or filter not seated properly. A few questions:

--Are there any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) indicated? Check for Active, Pending and Stored codes.
--Did you also change the filter(s)?
--Did this problem start after you serviced the transmission?
--Have you checked the fluid level lately....fully warmed up, on level ground?
--What kind of fluid did you put in it?

This will give forum members a little idea what you're dealing with.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

Oh sorry. I have the 4.7 v8. There are not any codes as of right now to my knowledge. Yes I changed the filters when i did the fluid change. And i used the ATF4 fluid as recommended. This problem started to occur after the fluid change for about a week then went away. Now the problem is occurring again and is more noticeable than before.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Have you verified that the fluid level is still fine?

Does it only do it right after a cold start or does it continue to do it all day?

If it's only initially, just let it run in neutral for a 10 count or so to prime the system. If it's doing it all day, you may have a split sump filter that's causing a lack of fluid to the pump. This can and will cause damage and you should drop the pan and replace the filter. Go OEM only on that filter, it's not much more money to ensure you have a good unit.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

The fliud level is fine and its does fine on the initial start. I think the problem is that I didnt use the OEM filters. So would you recommend me changing the fluid again as well as the filters with the OEM one?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-14-2017, 04:30 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Yes. There were some problems with filters splitting at the seam a while back including aftermarket branded filters as well as OE. Since that information has been around, I've been using OE filters only ($60 or so for the pair) and have had no problems short of the VERY occasional delayed shift first thing in the morning. That particular problem is related to the cooler return filter draining back into the pan. I digress...

Here's a link to OE filters on Amazon if you're so inclined: https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-5013470.../dp/B009SAUG5M

Your fluid could be reused , nothing wrong with it so long as you catch it in a clean pan.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
... That particular problem is related to the cooler return filter draining back into the pan....
On cold start after sitting overnight, the RFE545 xmission torque converter also needs to refill with ATF+4 fluid.

For whatever it is worth:
I wait until the airbag light goes off before I shift into reverse in the morning. Gives the pump time to refill the torque converter and stops hard shifts.

If you go back into the xmission, make both filters are properly sitting on their gasket/sealing surfaces.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

Thank you all for the help. I went ahead and ordered the OEM filters amd they should be here Tuesday. I will update everyone when the filters are changed and the status on the aftermarket filters.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
CJ09WK

Changed the filters today. Had trouble getting the o ring gasket out but other than that the transmission is back to normal. Going to the autoparts store tomorrow to grab a quart of fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.