08 wk headlamps - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 wk headlamps

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #31
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP
Just because I don't think this topic has been beat to death enough, I'm bringing it back to the top. I'm in contact with Mr. Stern about headlight upgrades that are worth doing.

The least expensive setup is HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflection). Same mechanical dimensions as the stock bulbs and they don't modify the beam pattern! You can use your stock housings and they're stock wattage too.

There's also a TRUE bi-Xenon setup for the WK that includes new housings. They are also self-leveling and are come in black, but chrome bezels are optional. Pricey, but what do you expect for the real deal?

I have the HIR lamps on order, but I am looking into the Xenon setup too.

do please elaborate on these HIR bulbs you speak of

JEEP: If i wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister
S10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #32
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Eater
do please elaborate on these HIR bulbs you speak of
From CandlePower's website:
Quote:
Halogen Infrared Reflecting (HIR) bulbs have micron-thin layers of electrodeposited coating on a special spherical bulb envelope. The coating reflects the filament's infrared (heat) back onto the filament, which results in a hotter filament that produces more light without increased power consumption, shorter bulb life, or extra heat production.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #33
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Sounds like another way to spin the PIAA and HOEN type bulbs that are FAR from the light output of true HID. If you'll buy into "micron-thin layers of electrodeposited coating on a special spherical bulb envelope" as a benefit, I've got some swamp land down in southern florida that someday "will be worth a fortune"!! In my opinion, all OEM lights will go to HID in the next 4-5 years (as price continues to drop)... if they weren't far superior, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Merc, Audi, Maybach, etc. wouldn't be putting them on every car in their lineup. For $180, my money is going to HID's all day long.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #34
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Sounds like another way to spin the PIAA and HOEN type bulbs that are FAR from the light output of true HID. If you'll buy into "micron-thin layers of electrodeposited coating on a special spherical bulb envelope" as a benefit, I've got some swamp land down in southern florida that someday "will be worth a fortune"!! In my opinion, all OEM lights will go to HID in the next 4-5 years (as price continues to drop)... if they weren't far superior, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Merc, Audi, Maybach, etc. wouldn't be putting them on every car in their lineup. For $180, my money is going to HID's all day long.

It's NOTHING like what you're trying to paint. These are not tarted up halogen lamps. HIR were never meant to replace Xenon lights, but to offer a less expensive alternative that comes close in useable light output.

I'm not sure who these guys are, but if you can read between their sales pitch, there seems to be some decent information, including GE's patent: http://hirheadlights.com

FWIW, I ordered a set of the HIR lamps from a source recommended by Mr. Stern - http://www.CandlePower.com along with a pair of their P3457AKDA plastic wedge base disappearing amber turn signal bulbs for the front turn signals (because I'm sick of that "fried egg" look).

I'll probably order the Xenon kit too. I'm waiting to hear back from them to get final pricing and availability.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention that HIR did make it to production on several vehicles such as the BMW Z8, Dodge Viper, Infiniti I30, etc. (usually used as the high beams on a Xenon equipped vehicle before the bi Xenons were available).
Unread 08-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #35
CurtP

An update - the HIR lamps are in. The top tab on each one had to be modded slightly, and they're a tight fit in the housing, but their output is amazing. Here's the comparison in light output according to Mr. Stern:

Quote:
Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1000 lumens, 875 hours
Low beam compare: 9006+50, 12.8V, 55W, 1090 lumens, 300 hours
Low beam new: HIR2, 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 875 hours

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
High beam compare: 9005+50, 12.8V, 55W, 1830 lumens, 175 hours
High beam new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours
I took it out last night and nobody flashed me when I was on low beams - which is something I was worried about. With the brights on, it's insane.

I'm also putting my money where my mouth is. I have the bi-xenons on order, along with the chrome kit.

http://vmaxx.de/en/public/?fz=38&cat=2&img=vm01236.jpg
http://vmaxx.de/en/public/?fz=38&cat=2&img=vm01236c.jpg

Unread 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #36
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Okay, sorry about "bashing" the product, but the pic you sent above looks like it's a true bi-xenon kit. How much is the kit in US dollars, including the chrome bezel? If you bought the HIR light bulbs, why do you now need this bi-xenon kit? Seems like you're double buying. If this is a true bi-xenon plug and play kit for the GC, I may be interested (although I'd prefer the look of the '08 lights over this kit). Please let us know. Thanks.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #37
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Okay, sorry about "bashing" the product, but the pic you sent above looks like it's a true bi-xenon kit. How much is the kit in US dollars, including the chrome bezel? If you bought the HIR light bulbs, why do you now need this bi-xenon kit? Seems like you're double buying. If this is a true bi-xenon plug and play kit for the GC, I may be interested (although I'd prefer the look of the '08 lights over this kit). Please let us know. Thanks.
I am double buying. I wanted an upgrade now while I'm waiting for the Xenon kit to arrive. I'm not sure how long it will take to get here. Actually, I triple bought. I bought a set of Philips +50 bulbs, installed them, but never even turned them on once (the Jeep was in my garage waiting for other upgrades to go on). After I found out about the HIR bulbs, I knew that I was going to get them regardless. I wanted to try them myself, if for nothing more, curiosity.

The xenon kit I ordered is a true bi-xenon setup. The projectors are made by Hella and the setup includes self-levelers and washer systems. I have my doubts that this will be a true plug-n-play setup, but I guess I'll find out when it gets here. The kit is coming from Germany and the price is around $2250, which includes shipping and the chrome bezel kit. This is a real xenon solution - not some bs HID bulbs shoved into halogen lenses.
Unread 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #38
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Please take some pics once installed and let us know how they work. Yes, that is the real deal bi-xenon solution, no BS. Why it took Jeep until '08 to do this themselves is anybody's guess!!
Unread 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #39
CurtP

I would say more than anything - cost. The WK is expensive enough as it is and doesn't seem to be selling well. I would have rather Jeep remove some of the worthless accessories - such as SmartBeam (built by Gentex Corp which doesn't work right). Jeep tried to cram too many gee-whiz gadgets and left out some that really count.

I worry about the HID setup that they'll end up using. If history is a lesson, they'll cut corners and the system will end up being disappointing. I hope not, but I'm not holding my breath (which is why I'm keeping the '06 and doing my own upgrades).
Unread 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

I agree wholeheartedly. For $43,000 MSRP, look at what else you can buy... BMW's, Audi's, Lexus, Infinity... not SUV's per se, but these days, people are watching their money more closely and are looking for value. Based on the plastic dash and the plastic parts of my interior, and the lack of certain features, if I got into my car and didn't own it, I would think it stickered in the low $30k's, and I have a limited CRD. Let's hope the corner cutting is over... and you wonder why "the Big 3" (the small 3?!) are having such a hard time...
Unread 08-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #41
kruxter
2007 WK 

There's no way I can swing 2G for the true HID xenon setup. But is the HIR bulb replacement for our current WK's legit? I am interested if it works and is an easy replacement. How many people have tried the HIR bulbs? And how do they perform over the long term?
kruxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #42
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruxter
There's no way I can swing 2G for the true HID xenon setup. But is the HIR bulb replacement for our current WK's legit? I am interested if it works and is an easy replacement. How many people have tried the HIR bulbs? And how do they perform over the long term?
Yes, HIR is legit. As I posted above, it was used in many high-end vehicles before bi-xenon was available. They're also rated to last the same amount of time as the stock 9005/9006 bulbs (also posted above).

You probably won't find anyone else other than me currently running the HIR bulbs. Everyone seems to be too caught up in HID and are trying to use those cheap POS "kits".

The nice thing about the HIR lamps is that they retain the same focal length as regular 9005/9006 bulbs which means you can use them in standard Halogen housings without the worry of blinding oncoming traffic or getting excessive light scatter. However, these are NOT plug-n-play either. The top tab on the HIR lamps are slightly different than those on 9005/9006 bulbs. They're easy to modify - I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. They also fit extremely tight in the housing, so there might be some variation on the base diameter. What I did was apply a little bit of silicone grease to the O-ring on the base of the lamp to help ease it in. The outer low-beams were actually pretty easy - it was the inner high-beams that were a bit of a PITA. I ended up taking a T-20 torx bit and loosened up the three retaining ring screws, put the lamp in, then tighted the screws back down (don't tighten them too much - they strip easily!). Even then, I think I had about 45 minutes in the entire project, including modifying the tabs. Out of a difficulty scale from 1 to 10, I give this a 3 (only because of the tight fit).

If I wasn't going to be changing to the bi-Xenon setup, I would have modified my headlight housings so the HIR lights would be a straight drop-in. That would involve removing the front bumper cover and headlight housings, modifying the retaining ring and opening up the bore where the lamp slides in. By modifying the housing, I could have used either the standard bulbs or the HIR lamps.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.