08 wk headlamps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 wk headlamps

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

08 wk headlamps

hey guys im looking at getting a wk. doing my research and i stumbled accross the fact that the 08s are getting hid headlamps. just wondering whos looking at doing an 08 retero fit into their wk?

JEEP: If i wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister
S10Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
T-Rated

Everybody's looking into it. Ok, not everybody, but lots. It's a mega-project that's not as easy as it seems. Body style's a bit different, headlights are integrated into the MyGIG system, stuff like that.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

ouch thats crappy to hear.
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
S10Eater
2001 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone just retero fitted hid bulbs into the current headlight refelectors.
yes i know thats not the proper way to do it but im just wondering
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
T-Rated

Someone has. They ground out the socket in their headlamp and shoved the new HID in. It was either here or on JeepsUnlimited. Just do a search in the WK forums for "hid retrofit"

Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
FanofallDiesels

Here is the thread where a retrofit has been done.

Jeff
1984 IH 782D
FanofallDiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
T-Rated

That wasn't the thread I was thinking of. Someone had detailed instructions with pictures on how they did it. It was about 4-6 months ago.

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
That wasn't the thread I was thinking of. Someone had detailed instructions with pictures on how they did it. It was about 4-6 months ago.

Maybe not the thread you were looking for, but it's a good thread for telling you why you shouldn't do it.
Now I'm with you that HIDs are great, but please do us all a favor and don't put HIDs in non HID/projector housings.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
anerbe

it's probably possible to purchase just the housings, purchase a HID kit with the projector bulbs, and use the stock wiring to provide the signal. i assume the highbeam system is the same. this should be the easiest solution.
Unread 07-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
anerbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot
Maybe not the thread you were looking for, but it's a good thread for telling you why you shouldn't do it.
Now I'm with you that HIDs are great, but please do us all a favor and don't put HIDs in non HID/projector housings.
i agree with you in general to your statement. However, not all HID systems need to be on projector housings. There's quite a few vehicles that don't use projectors and are factory OEM. Most of these systems do not have auto leveling to the best of my knowledge (i.e. Volvo's). As long as you have the beams aimed lower and the beam cutoff is very pronounced, I think you can get away with HID on halogen housings.

I'd rather see these then any aftermarket PIAA system on the road.

Just my .02
Unread 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
T-Rated

I don't think HID's are used for high beams. They take too long to come on.

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe
i agree with you in general to your statement. However, not all HID systems need to be on projector housings. There's quite a few vehicles that don't use projectors and are factory OEM. Most of these systems do not have auto leveling to the best of my knowledge (i.e. Volvo's). As long as you have the beams aimed lower and the beam cutoff is very pronounced, I think you can get away with HID on halogen housings.

I'd rather see these then any aftermarket PIAA system on the road.

Just my .02
Mercedes used to put HID lights in non projector housings (they didn't like the way projectors looked in their headlight designs) so did Acura. Both of those cars are annoying and blinding (which is why they gave it up and started using projectors).
Those early Mercedes are pretty much solely responsible for people thinking all HIDs are blinding.

The blue "ricer lights" if that's what you are referring to are annoying, but not nearly as bad as bad HIDs since they have way less light output than pretty much any conventional bulb.
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
I don't think HID's are used for high beams. They take too long to come on.
Cars that have HIDs for the high beams actually has the bulbs lit all the time (when the low beams are on). They use a little mechanical "shield" that is pulled back when the driver "turns on" the high beams.
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
daleklotz
2011 WK 

Passing Lights are Halogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFoot
Cars that have HIDs for the high beams actually has the bulbs lit all the time (when the low beams are on). They use a little mechanical "shield" that is pulled back when the driver "turns on" the high beams.

Correct- they use a mechanical shutter. The passing lights are halogen due to the timing, but we don't use them much in the US because if you do the other driver assumes your well into a road rage incident.
daleklotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
Scottina06
2006 WK 

I have the Xenondepot.com Xtreme 6500K kit in my GC and love them. I did aim the lights down a little more than normal and I have never been flashed. I love the look and the light output. The kit cost me $250 shipped and was cake to install. Just make sure you get a kit with relays to prevent the blinking.
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.