08 WK CRD Service 4WD System Light came on & no 4WD Low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 WK CRD Service 4WD System Light came on & no 4WD Low

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
va7cid
2008 WK 

08 WK CRD Service 4WD System Light came on & no 4WD Low

Hello everyone;

I had just brought my 2008 WK CRD with 98k into the dealer on Aug 22, 2013 for a reprogramming recall under TBS N23 reprogramming FDCM with new update software to the transmission as it may accidentally shift into neutral from park.

Just went to Gold Bridge area for the labour day long weekend and the road was quite bumpy. I was trying to get up a fairly steep gravel road and tried to shift it into 4WD Low in advance and the Service 4WD System light came on when I was trying to shift into 4WD Low from neutral. Once the light came on, I was unable to shift into 4WD Low any more but everything appears to drives normal afterward and on my way back home for the next 250 km.

I was browsing a bit and came across a few comment with defective front diff lock module or speed sensor of some kind.

Plugged my OBD scanner in at home but found no code at all. Does any one here in this community has had this problem at all and how did you fix it??

Your suggestion and input are much appreciated, thank you in advance

va7cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Radcrd
2007 WK 

There are several posts regarding people having this same issue after receiving the new program. Take it back, their is an error in the program and they need to get the latest version installed.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
jaje
2007 WK 

How do you check to make sure you didn't get the wrong reflash? I had mine done a couple weeks ago when I had them fix the solenoid issue.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Most dealerships now know of the issue and are doing the correct reflash.
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Dusty280
2008 WK 

P0700 code

I had transmission updated. Description reads 79196 Flash updated FDCM.

That was approximately two weeks ago. Now twice in the last several days the vehicle from a start moved very slowly. Engine rev up fine, but it was like the transmission was slipping. Pulled over, shut everything off and restarted and all was fine. I checked and I now have a P0700 code. Any body else having this issue? When this occurred the manual upshift/downshift feature on the shift knob would not work.

Thanks
Dusty280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

try here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/r...83/index9.html

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
va7cid
2008 WK 

Thank you for all of the respond received. I will be bringing my Jeep back to the dealership and hopefully this time they can do it properly. It just unbelievable that a supposingly fully trained and qualified bunch of mechanic at a dealership can screw things up so badly. It would have been much better with the old fashion way with manual locking hub to get rid of all these electronic. Hopefully, I will get my 4WD Low back and stay that way without the need t go back for a 2nd or 3rd flash. Thanks again guys
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
va7cid
2008 WK 

They dealership had reflashed it fixed it about 4 weeks ago. Got my 4wd back temporary and last weekend when I needed it the most at an steep incline with a travel trailer at a rather narrow FSR. It's gone again no 4wd low and none of my wheels was getting any traction and the stability traction control light came on a few times nd the message transmission over temperature came on as a result. I was pissed and stuck until help comes by to tow me off to a more level ground. Any of you had this problem before?
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

that sucks man, im glad ive never gotten notice
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
va7cid
2008 WK 

After TSB Recall N23 FDCM Reflash No 4WD Low and transmission Slipping??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty280 View Post
I had transmission updated. Description reads 79196 Flash updated FDCM.

That was approximately two weeks ago. Now twice in the last several days the vehicle from a start moved very slowly. Engine rev up fine, but it was like the transmission was slipping. Pulled over, shut everything off and restarted and all was fine. I checked and I now have a P0700 code. Any body else having this issue? When this occurred the manual upshift/downshift feature on the shift knob would not work.

Thanks
Hey Dusty280 and all that have had this stupid N23 reflash done;

Just wondering if anyone of you have had your issue fixed or came up with an explanation to your transmission slipping similar to above? As per my post when I was stuck on the steep incline with a travel trailer in tow. I had mis quoted that I had no traction, but instead it was like as Dusty280 said that the transmission felt like it was slipping with the engine rev up but none of the wheel was turning at all. With the service 4WD System light on and then the transmission over temperature light came on. But I did not check for a code with a scanner at that time.

However, once I had been towed to a level ground and unhitched my trailer. It drove fine with no slipping as it should but still no 4WD Low. I have since brought it back to the dealership and to raise a BIG stink and had it reflashed again for the third time. The 4WD Low appears to be working properly as it did so far until now.

Just wondering if anyone of you have had the transmission slipping issue as well under the same condition or if this is a separate issue with the transmission. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and input.
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Dusty280
2008 WK 

While I am convinced the reflash triggered it, the dealer said it was just one of those things. The dealer replaced transmission speed sensor, part number 68049181AB, some transmission fluid, and labor and vehicle rental while they got the part. If you turned the vehicle off and restarted it, it seemed to reset itself, but the issue got more frequent to the point I didn't feel I could rely on the vehicle any more. The aftermarket warranty covered all but $100 so I wasn't as excited as I otherwise might have been. Took over two weeks to get the part.
Dealer charge was $462 for the part. I didn't try and see what it might be available for any third party or some of the Chrysler direct OEM parts places.
Good luck.
Dusty280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
mdamen

Back to the original post - I had the same issue. Took it back and got it fixed once, now the failure is back. They say it is the transfer case actuator. I think the software is more sensitive to actuator position and a worn unit will throw a code and disable 4 wd low. They will tell you the software and the code are not related.
mdamen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
va7cid
2008 WK 

As I did not check for a code, but it felt like it was either slipping or maybe the transfer case was stuck in neutral and not delivering power to anyone of the wheels. But it drove fine after I unhitched my trailer at the very steep incline but still had no 4WD Low. After the third time bringing it back to the dealer for another reflash, it appears to be driving normal as it should so far and I got my 4WD Low back for about a month or so.

The extended warranty was also a joke and bunch of bull as well. As nothing is covered for any diagnostic to any problem at all with mini issues I have had. They wanted to charge me $190 in diagnostic charge to find the engine code that was not there when I brought it in for the reflash. They cancelled the charge after I raised a stink about it and told them I always have an OBD scanner at the back of my truck and I can tell their mechanic what the code is in 5 minutes or less and question them how much time the mechanic spend to hook up the scanner in order to justify $190 for the charge. Dusty280 you are a lucky man that you only have an out of pocket expense of $100 paid to the Stealership with a rental car. They had my truck for 3 days and they said they do not offer courtesy car for repair. The dealer are far worst then pirate, thief or the government.

Just keeping my finger crossed that I will not need to bring it back again as my warranty had just expired.
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
2008Dieseljeep
2008 WK 

just bought a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3.0 diesel (private party sale)
20 minuets after buying it i decide to test out 4LOW to have the "Service 4wd system" light ding up on my dash!
took it to a dealership and charged me $100 to diagnose the problem. they say the transfer case motor is out.
but from what im reading here it might just be a re-flashing issus with that final drive sensor ? ?
i do remember hearing one tech ask the other did you try reseting it 3 times. (could be non related)
but my question is how can they tell its the shift motor and not jammed gears?
I had this problem with a 2002 chevy silverado. was told yeah "it just needs the trasnfer case motor replaced. upon inspection my transfer case was locked up.
I HOPE THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE !! ANY updated info please please post !
I do know there is a recall for several years on the shift motor but of corse mot my year jeep.
maybe we can big them enough to get the recall extended to 2008.
2008Dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Dieseljeep View Post
just bought a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3.0 diesel (private party sale)
20 minuets after buying it i decide to test out 4LOW to have the "Service 4wd system" light ding up on my dash!
took it to a dealership and charged me $100 to diagnose the problem. they say the transfer case motor is out.
but from what im reading here it might just be a re-flashing issus with that final drive sensor ? ?
i do remember hearing one tech ask the other did you try reseting it 3 times. (could be non related)
but my question is how can they tell its the shift motor and not jammed gears?
I had this problem with a 2002 chevy silverado. was told yeah "it just needs the trasnfer case motor replaced. upon inspection my transfer case was locked up.
I HOPE THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE !! ANY updated info please please post !
I do know there is a recall for several years on the shift motor but of corse mot my year jeep.
maybe we can big them enough to get the recall extended to 2008.
With my bluetooth obd reader, I just cleared the codes like 3 or 4 times, and the issue hasn't came back. 2008 CRD.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.