08 radio upgrade Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 radio upgrade Cherokee

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
OrlandoOverland
2008 WK 

08 radio upgrade Cherokee

So i have an 08 overland with the RER radio. I cant seem to get this confirmed or denied...but will one of the newer nav radios 2012/2013/2014 fit in the 08 console?

OrlandoOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
JPK
2005 WK 

RER radio

The radio from the later WK2's will fit in the opening but the bus speeds are different from your WK. You have a "low speed" bus while the newer ones have the "high speed" bus. That has to do with the onboard computers and their interface with the radios.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

I am almost positive that you can use this MYGIG LOCKPICK adapter to put the highspeed radios into our lowspeed busses as well as unlock all the advanced features in 1 shot.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
JPK
2005 WK 

Re: RER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophonicz View Post
http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

I am almost positive that you can use this MYGIG LOCKPICK adapter to put the highspeed radios into our lowspeed busses as well as unlock all the advanced features in 1 shot.
I have a 2005 WK and I installed a Mygig RER in it from an 08 model year. I used the Lockpick device to adapt it as well as all the parts, new bezel from Jeep and the insert for the different sized opening. At that time you had to install a low bus radio in the vehicle if you had an earlier vehicle. There may have been recent Lockpick improvements to allow the use of a high speed bus on the earlier vehicles but I don't know. Be sure to research carefully as the wrong radio can be an expensive mistake.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
JPK
2005 WK 

Jeep changed the bus speed on the 09's and 10's to the high speed bus. The 05-08's had the low speed bus. Externally the two different speed RER's are the same from 08 through 10. What Lockpick may mean to adapt the newer radios to an earlier vehicle may mean to a earlier "high speed bus" vehicle meaning 09-10. Call Coastal to make sure.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.