08 Head Unit options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
windsoreight8
2008 WK 

08 Head Unit options

Guys Iím new to the forum. I have an 08 limited with a hemi. Iím looking to upgrade the stock head unit. It has the Uconnect that I did update. Just would like some more features. I like pandora. Donít want to hook up a bunch of cables. And the hands free is awful. The volume alway goes high. Iíd like to retain the back-up camera, steering wheel controls, and Sirus radio. What are my options? Can I swap in a newer uconnect unit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 11:43 PM
Tblank7
2008 WK 

Garage
Following, I was told I would have to replace everything. I have the Boston speaker system..

That's all folks....
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 10:24 AM
consumedbywater

Garage
Your current Sirius radio system is likely housed inside your current head unit, so you'll have to get a new SiriusXM receiver regardless. However, you may look into the Lockpick system, which allows you to swap in a newer uConnect system and retain most of your current features. You'll need to research which systems are compatible, since there are two types of CAN bus systems in Jeeps, a low speed and high speed version.

Another option is to go aftermarket. PAC Audio makes different adapters that may allow you to retain your steering wheel controls, adapt the head unit to your Boston amp or standard setup, and possibly keep your backup camera. Aftermarket head units offer a huge amount of functionality, like Apple CarPlay.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
..... You'll need to research which systems are compatible, since there are two types of CAN bus systems in Jeeps, a low speed and high speed version....
I have the '08 REN head unit with Boston Acoustics. Think all '08's are low-speed bus. I believe high speed bus started in '09. I was told (not confirmed) that a high speed unit will perform on a low speed system, just not as fast. WKJeeps.com has several writeups and links for this.

BTW: Do not even consider and REN head unit. Mine just failed for the 4th time (no sound from any RHS speakers). Cannot get the head unit and the Sirius subscription to work at the same time. I gave up.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 PM
colinzj
2006 WK 

With the Boston system, for an aftermarket head you'll either have to bypass the factory amp and potentially run your own speaker wiring, or use something like an iDatalink Maestro with a supported head to retain your features and the factory amp. Note that if you bypass the factory amp, you'll either have to replace the front speakers or figure out your own way to run the dash speakers and the front doors — the existing crossover is performed using the amplifier's DSP, so with a bypass you've just got six independent speakers (four of which aren't designed for running full-range) for four channels.

PAC and Scosche also makes a couple adapters for the WK, but iDatalink's Maestro has the benefit of retaining full fade and balance control with a supported head unit, as well as better customization of the steering wheel controls and optionally sending OBD data to your head unit. The PAC adapters have balance control but no fade control.

The backup camera is a standard camera. You just need an adapter to RCA. They're readily available on the aftermarket.

As consumedbywater said, if you have factory Sirius (and not one of the little external units with its own screen), your existing Sirius tuner is part of your stock head and you'll need a new tuner. On the bright side, SiriusXM made everyone move over to a universal tuner for the aftermarket, and they're on heavy rebate pretty much constantly because SiriusXM is in terrible shape and desperate for subscribers. Right now, they'll rebate you 100% of the tuner price with a subscription and they'll give you $60 of free service and they'll waive the activation fee, so a tuner "costs" $70 back in your pocket when all is said and done.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L ó Dead, sold, and rolling again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.