08 Grand Cherokee: Won't start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 Grand Cherokee: Won't start!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

08 Grand Cherokee: Won't start!

Hey everybody! The newest Jeep addition to our family of Jeeps has been having issues. Without warning, it won't start. It will run just fine with no issues and then when you go to start it a few hours later, nothing. The keyless works, the dash lights go on, the fuel pump primes up, but it won't even turn over.

This is the third time it has done this in less than 6 months. It keeps getting fixed under warranty by the dealer, but it's aggravating and annoying. The last time they replaced two transmitters and module according to the work order. The dealer admitted there have been problems with the "key less" keys on these models but said the problem had been fixed.

What can I do? I just don't feel comfortable thinking this thing is going to have a brain fart and leave me for dead in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else been having the same issue?

Thanks for any help!

Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
TRZ
2008 WK 

I've had no starting problems with my '08 w/ 4.7l.
TRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

Starter, battery, sensor at the shifter that let the Jeep know is on park?
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
How they told you if they are getting any fault codes? The ones I have had with the WIN modules that go down I have had no ignition lights as it doesn't read the key. I would agree rome and it is possibly a shifter fault.
Unread 06-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
Done a search most issues are with the WIN module or remote start issues or fault code related. So it sounds like you have had the WIN module replaced and if you don't have remote start then need to find out if you are getting any fault codes.
Unread 06-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

It has remote start. It's not a shifter switch issue. The last work order on it says, "Found SKIS would not let vehicle start due to intermittent signal. Replace WIN node, program 2 Fobs, retest -ok." It looks like it also threw a code of "B1A09" in the memory of key fob 2 performance. But it wouldn't start with the other key fob either.

The fact that this same problem has occurred three times in less than 6 months makes me feel like I got a lemon.
Unread 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

No issues here, '08, 19k.
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

Well, I tried it one last time while the tow truck was on the way to get it and on the second try it decided to fire up, but it wasn't right on cue. There was a couple seconds of lag. I let it run for a few minutes and then shut it off and tried to start it again. Nothing. Right back to doing the same thing.

The dealership says it didn't put out any codes, but that they found a loose and corroded ignition wire. He says it's working fine now. I hope it stays that way.
Unread 08-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
SparkyJ
2007 WK 

My '07 worked just fine for the first 27K miles then one morning nothing. It was three months out of warranty. That was several days ago. After spending that time trying to diagnose the problem, I called a repair guy I trust. He said he's never seen a starter go at 27K miles and it's probably a security issue. The tow truck is on its way.

What I've learned here and in other searches is Jeeps have buggy electrical systems. They can be a nightmare to fix. Sometimes they never get fixed. If my repair guy finds electrical problems, I'm dumping the thing and never buying another Jeep again.
SparkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
SparkyJ
2007 WK 

The tow truck driver just picked up the Jeep. He said he sees a lot of Jeeps that don't start, especially new Jeeps. "It's a common problem." Great!
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

I have never heard it being a common problem. Batteries yes, the electrical system is demanding on batteries.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
KZad
2006 XK Commander 

I'm experiencing a similar problem on my 06 Commander Ltd. It's got the 4.7, and no remote start. I drove it around all day, then went to start it after it sat for like 3 hours and it wouldn't turn over. Starter only clicks once. We jumped it, and it fired right up. Drove to a buddy's house, it sat for about 2.5 hours and wouldn't start again. Same thing, only one click of the starter. Jumping it didn't work this time so we had to call AAA.

I am leaning towards a starter on it's way out, and not working when it's hot or warm. I'll see if it starts tomorrow morning. Any other ideas, what's this WIN Module I'm reading about? Dash lights and everything seem normal. Battery putting out will over 12 volts.

Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

Thanks
KZad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
SparkyJ
2007 WK 

It was the starter. Jeep said they will pick up the cost of parts but not labor. They will also reimburse me for $25 of the $70 on the tow. The Jeep guy was firm that's all I get because, even though it only had 27K miles, it was out of warranty by time.
Unread 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
dieth
2008 WK 

My 08 GC 4.7L with remote start has no starting issues. However the way I understand it, the key FOB is RF signal? If that's the case, I wonder if a strong nearby transmitter can affect it. On my older GC, it only affected the locks since it had a regular key for starting.

Both my old 96 GC and all other cars I've had have remote key issues if near areas where there is a lot of RF from radars or radio towers.

I wonder how shielded the Jeep network buss is to RF. If you read the 2009 Operator Manual, ( nothing in the 08), it talks about cautions installing 2 way radio equipment.
dieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
peteswk
2009 WK 

2009 JGC wont start

Well, I've been having some problem starting my 2009 JGC. First started with around 80k miles on it. had it towed to the dealer and they told me it started right up with no problems. About a week later it wouldn't start again. Again I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the starter. It's been around 6 mounts and the same thing is starting to happen again. So my guess is it wasn't the starter. Checked out all the Technical Service Bulletins and there is nothing for my year jeep. The closest thing I found related to win mods on international models only. Need help to figure this one out. this is my 3rd Jeep and would hate to go to a different brand because of reliability issues.
peteswk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.