08 CRD exhaust(?) rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 08 CRD exhaust(?) rattle

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
O111111O
2008 WK 

08 CRD exhaust(?) rattle

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. My 08 Overland CRD has been an absolute trooper for 75K miles, notwithstanding the challenges in getting her serviced properly. I've been to 4 different Jeep dealers now for maintenance - all of whom seem to be about the same level of incompetence.

Two oil changes ago, I took it to dealer "W" for all the fluids to be changed - oil, trans, diff, axles. When I picked it up, it had the same kind of harmonic vibration buzz while accelerating and at certain RPMs that it had once before when dealer "S" failed to secure the skid plates properly. After three trips back to dealer "W", no luck - they couldn't locate the source of the buzz. Dealer "L", who did the next oil change, couldn't find it either. My brother-in-law, who runs a Volvo service department, thinks it's in the exhaust somewhere - maybe the flex pipe. I'm more concerned that it's the DPF.

Around the same time as the dealer "W" oil change, I think I mistakenly filled up with a single tank of Low Sulphur Diesel.

My questions:
- Is there any way dealer "W" could have damaged the DPF or flex pipe while doing the fluid changes?
- Could a single tank of LSD have damaged the DPF or flex pipe?
- Has anyone else out there experienced this?
- Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

JB

O111111O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
dmc17
2008 WK 

Does it sounds metallic? Does it happen more when it's cold out or the engine hasn't yet warmed-up? I'm dealing with a rattle on my CRD. Another forum contributer with a CRD described a similar problem and isolated it to an area where some stainless steel lines connect to the exhaust pipe. I'm going to try to find his comment again so I can ask him for more details on his fix.
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
scootr29
2008 WK 

I get a buzz at around 55 mph when I let off the throttle...I believe my noise is rear diff and that it is a common noise heard on all WKs no matter the engine.

As DMC mentioned above I do recall a noise associated with the CRD and it involved installing a rubber isolator. I have not done it since I do not get any noise.

To answer your questions:

1) Unless the dealer W took off the DPF and dropped it on the ground it is unlikely they damaged it...no need at all to remove the DPF to do an oil change.

2) LSD would not harm your DPF...it would be high ash oil that would harm your DPF....long term usage of LSD will harm your fuel system...Also no public service station in America is selling LSD..it is not available. There may be stations that have not changed over their stickers on the pumps, but the tanker truck that is pumping diesel into his tanks is pumping ULSD. And if for whatever reason you did get LSD it will not harm your engine to use it once or twice. Unsure ask the station owner and if does not know stay away from that station.

3) See my noise above.

4) Get underneath your CRD and check things out....grab a wrench and make sure all the skid plates are secure.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
O111111O
2008 WK 

Thanks for the input. The rattle does sound metallic, but it doesn't seem to get better or worse if the engine is hot or cold, or if the weather is hot or cold. This started in February in northern Michigan and has now continued into July - so pretty extreme temperature differences. I hear it most distinctly when accelerating from a stop, somewhere around the first shift.
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
suzieque
2008 WK 

there was a tsb about a rattle that required adjustment to the bracket holding the dpf, have a read
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wh_0900408.pdf

other than that, the heat shield near the dpf has been known to rattle too.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O111111O View Post
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. My 08 Overland CRD has been an absolute trooper for 75K miles, notwithstanding the challenges in getting her serviced properly. I've been to 4 different Jeep dealers now for maintenance - all of whom seem to be about the same level of incompetence.

Two oil changes ago, I took it to dealer "W" for all the fluids to be changed - oil, trans, diff, axles. When I picked it up, it had the same kind of harmonic vibration buzz while accelerating and at certain RPMs that it had once before when dealer "S" failed to secure the skid plates properly. After three trips back to dealer "W", no luck - they couldn't locate the source of the buzz. Dealer "L", who did the next oil change, couldn't find it either. My brother-in-law, who runs a Volvo service department, thinks it's in the exhaust somewhere - maybe the flex pipe. I'm more concerned that it's the DPF.

Around the same time as the dealer "W" oil change, I think I mistakenly filled up with a single tank of Low Sulphur Diesel.

My questions:
- Is there any way dealer "W" could have damaged the DPF or flex pipe while doing the fluid changes?
- Could a single tank of LSD have damaged the DPF or flex pipe?
- Has anyone else out there experienced this?
- Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

JB
The steel DPF sensor lines have a mount bracket that is at the back of the engine on the passenger side attached to the cylinder head that will break and cause the noise you may be talking about.I have heard they just remove it and don't replace it to stop the noise.They haven't made low sulpher diesel for around 4 years now.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
O111111O
2008 WK 

Thanks, this is really great input.

Low sulphur diesel is still available in the US. It isn't completely phased out until December 1, 2014.
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Low sulphur diesel is still available in the US. It isn't completely phased out until December 1, 2014.
True and if one lives in or travels through agricultural lands, you will find it at the local gas stations to service farm implements. I almost mistakenly filled up with that once myself on the central coast of California. I caught the fact that it was not ULSD just about the time I put the nozzle in the filler but before I pressed the handle.
Ecodiesel, QDII, ORA, Class IV Tow, 18's
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
scootr29
2008 WK 

Quote:

True but unless you are filling up your boat or locomotive the chances that you will run across LSD at a retail location is zero.

In 2010 offroad (farm equipment) was mandated to make the switch to ULSD.

Marine/Locomotive are affected by the date you list above....Dec 1st 2014. And the majority of new marine/locomotive applications can take ULSD now.

Even rural AK has made the transition to ULSD. Northern Canada will be 100% ULSD at the end of this year. The rest of Canada is 100% ULSD.

And if you ever decide to take your Jeep international a lot of countries have gone away from 500ppm and they now are offering 50ppm which is essentially ULSD...even though ULSD is 15ppm. Mexico though has been really slow to embrace ULSD...they are coming around though, but 500ppm+ is still out there.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
there was a tsb about a rattle that required adjustment to the bracket holding the dpf, have a read
http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wh_0900408.pdf

other than that, the heat shield near the dpf has been known to rattle too.
Make sure you also don't have any broken welds at the tabs on the DPF. Sometimes its more than a rattle.
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #11
justa4banger
2007 WK 

i had a rattle once...it was the heat shield around the Cat..... a little bend here and there, and it stopped.
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Tuco
2007 WK 

On the passenger side, the exhaust comes very close to the frame. In our case it actually would touch when going left and accelerating. This would cause a metalic buzzing sound.
Unread 07-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
doubled07

I had (still have) something in the first muffler on my Jeep. I know mine is actually a part of the cat converter. Mine went bad and broke apart, a piece broke and the exhaust gases pushed it down the pipe into the muffler now make a noise while accelerating. VERY Annoying. I'm going to remove the muffler and put a straight pipe in. Once again though this is on Hemi motor.
doubled07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Diesel30nyc

Hey

I recently am going through the same thing. I just got an new exhaust put on, and when I accelerate there's a nasty rattling sound. I'm assuming is the catalyter converter. My mechanic said its super expensive maybe about 3Gs not sure. It that's the case I'm selling my jeep. Spent 9Gs on a new turbo last year. I love the car but I'm in debt just to keep the car running.
Let me know if you ever got your problem fixed.
text me anytime. 917-608-7943
Thanks
Mike
Diesel30nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
suzieque
2008 WK 

I managed to track a rattle down on the stock exhaust that is caused by a tear in the rubber that is used on the exhaust hanger. the tear is allowing the exhaust more movement and a bit of a rattle. you just may want to check the exhaust hangers and see if any are torn.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.